Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu RAM Shipper pay range

Author Topic: RAM Shipper pay range  (Read 841 times)

Offline bbq

• Very Lite User
RAM Shipper pay range
« on: Apr 07, 2023, 12:55 »
I would like to get an idea of how much a RAM Shipper makes. Any info appreciated.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: RAM Shipper pay range
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2023, 01:12 »
I would like to get an idea of how much a RAM Shipper makes. Any info appreciated.

Wages can vary greatly depending on material shipped, a narrow waste stream that is much easier to characterize or has already been characterized to someone who ships a wide variety of materials/waste that requires characterization. Then there are the differences between commercial nuclear, energy (fossil), medicine, DOE, Army Corp of engineers or universities. All of them ship radioactive materials.
   You probably need to amplify your question a bit for someone to give you a good answer. That would not be me I have been semi-retired for over ten years.

Offline bbq

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2023, 03:31 »
Thank you Marlin.
I work at a National Lab where the house RCTs do the shipping in addition to all other common RCT tasks. We are in a union and are in negotiations for new pay ranges. I asked the question to get an idea if it would likely bennefit us to initiate research into this. It is not as helpful if RAM shippers, generally, make less. As a dot 4 with roughly 25 years experience I am near the top of my pay range at 52.50 per hour.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2023, 05:55 »
Thank you Marlin.
I work at a National Lab where the house RCTs do the shipping in addition to all other common RCT tasks. We are in a union and are in negotiations for new pay ranges. I asked the question to get an idea if it would likely bennefit us to initiate research into this. It is not as helpful if RAM shippers, generally, make less. As a dot 4 with roughly 25 years experience I am near the top of my pay range at 52.50 per hour.

My wife is an RCT at a NNSA site who unionize the onsite techs recently. The site tried to tie wages to what they saw as a general local technician (included Walmart) rather than compare it to similar facilities. Did not happen but really annoyed the techs in the process. In my experience (dated) when techs do the shipping, they are on a parr with other on site RCTs just in a different department or assigned responsibility. In my experience as well is that different facilities even the ones doing the same thing have varied organizational structures. Where I have seen shippers paid more is where they also do characterization and other quasi engineering functions such as ordering appropriate containers working in the waste group not in RadCon. Hopefully someone with more current experience will speak up. The only other thing I might mention for your negotiations is adders for functions or conditions, such as shipper, or maintaining a human reliability rating if that is present where you work. Good luck.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2023, 11:39 »
commercial nuclear depends on region and qualification level,....
50/hr on the low end, 90/hr on the high end,....
it's a wide range because the "shipper" definition varies widely,...
of course, there are plenty who will type that I'm full of it,....
over the last 23 years I have earned as low as 30/hr to ship, and as high as 90/hr to ship,...
but the job description was just as varied as the wage,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2023, 12:49 »
Also depends if you are a contractor or a house tech that does shipping.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?