Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Learner-operations, Duke Energy honeypot

Author Topic: Learner-operations, Duke Energy  (Read 16536 times)

Dorri732

Learner-operations, Duke Energy
« on: Jan 07, 2005, 08:44 »
Anyone know what the hourly rate is for this job while in training?  How many hours a week? 

http://www.duke-energy.com/careers/search/details.asp?JOBIDNUM=2733

I guess I'll find out soon enough, but I'm itching to know if it's worth my while.

Thanks in advance

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Learner-operations, Duke Energy
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2005, 09:20 »
What training do you mean?  There are lots of types of training involved with this job.  The initial part will only last a few months.  It will be 40 hrs per week until you are qualified.
BTW, there is a reason that they didn't post the pay on the ad.  It's different for everybody.  Although most companies use a standard type of pay scale system, that doesn't mean that everybody gets hired at the same place within the scale.  In other words, anybody who tells you what this job pays is guessing.  You won't know until they offer it to you.  If you're looking for a range of guesses, I'd say that it's probably starting between $18 and $22 per hour.  Even though that seems low, it probably has a rapid progression and lots of OT opportunities after you start on shift.
If I were you, I'd at least apply.  If they're paying for the trip, you should go for the interview too.  Even if the whole thing turns out to suck, at least you get the practice at interviewing.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Kern2712

Applying for ops at Duke Power
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2005, 01:58 »
Greetings all, I am an ET2/SS who will be separating in approximately 6 months as soon as my tour is finished.  I am almost finished with my BS in Nuclear Eng. Tech. from TESC, and I've seen a job opening(Learner - Operations) at the Duke Power Oconee plant that I plan on applying for very soon.  My goal is to qualify RO, SRO, and beyond, and I was wondering if there was anything specific I could do to increase my chances of being hired(resume tips, etc).  Thanks in advance for any advice.
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2005, 02:06 by Kern2712 »

merlin_the_wizard

Point of Contact for Duke Energy
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2005, 09:31 »
Does anyone out there have a point of contact for jobs at Duke?  They have been posting the same jobs for several weeks and I am wondering who I might get in touch with concerning my resume.  Thanks!

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
  • Those who "can", "do", and go on to teach others.
Re: Point of Contact for Duke Energy
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2005, 04:14 »
If you applied via the Duke Energy website, you're pretty much at the mercy of their coporate HR folks contacting you. It's a very s-l-o-w and tedious process. Once the job posting is "closed", HR forwards the resumes received to the hiring manager (i.e. the respective department head for the area that's recruiting). Once he makes his selections, the candidate list is then back to HR, and they then make the initial contact with the applicant. It's all a rather long, draw-out, formal process, ensuring that they meet EEO/AA hiring guidelines (i.e. preclude any future discrimination lawsuits). How long ago did you apply?

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
Re: Applying for ops at Duke Power
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2005, 04:25 »
You'll need to apply, NOW,  via the Duke Energy website (www.duke-energy.com). There are Learner openings in Operations listed their as of today, 01/17/05.
The on-line application allows you to insert your resume. I'd go for detail on my resume, versus the "short-and-sweet". The more the hiring manager knows about you, the better (see my reply to "Point of contact at Duke Energy).

merlin_the_wizard

« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2005, 04:34 »
I submitted my resume about 4-5 weeks ago. 

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2005, 08:53 »
The job openings are still posted on the Duke Energy website (as of 01/17/05), so it may be a while before you hear anything. Be patient. Regrettably, Duke Energy does not inform you if you were not chosen for further consideration - they leave you hanging.

Dorri732

Re: Applying for ops at Duke Power
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2005, 10:26 »
FYI, the Learner Operations job that they have posted now starts June 6th.

At least that's what they told me. 

crazy4honda

« Reply #9 on: Aug 04, 2008, 01:20 »
So what does the "pipeline" look like as far as Duke's training for NEO?  I have no Navy nuke experience (or any nuke experience for that matter).  All I have read so far is that I would be hired and then take "BOT" training (probably in Charlotte from what i've been told).  Is this correct?

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #10 on: Aug 04, 2008, 01:25 »
sorry for the late reply just saw this

minimum for an ops learner is 15.60/hour

from what I understand that would be your pay while in training.

A far a Duke training as indicated you are given the POSS test and if you pass that first then they have a basic ops training course

hope that helps

sf

crazy4honda

« Reply #11 on: Aug 04, 2008, 10:45 »
sorry for the late reply just saw this

minimum for an ops learner is 15.60/hour

from what I understand that would be your pay while in training.

A far a Duke training as indicated you are given the POSS test and if you pass that first then they have a basic ops training course

hope that helps

sf

Thanks for the info.  How long is the basic ops course with Duke?  Would I complete that and then go straight to work at Oconee as an NLO, doing the rest of my training on site?

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #12 on: Aug 05, 2008, 11:55 »
BOT at duke is a 12 week initial training course,  then yes I assume you go to Oconee for OJT and any site specific training required.

ONS is a B&W PWR and CNS and MNS are basically a Westinghouse plant, so there are system differences and the nomenclature is definitely not the same.

The positions posted are for all three locations so I assume you have chosen ONS.

good luck

Update:  It appears that ONS conducts their basic ops training on site so if you pass the poss and are ok'd for ONS you would likely go straight there

sf
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2008, 12:29 by spentfuel »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?