Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu I'm In!
honeypot

Author Topic: I'm In!  (Read 23615 times)

Steel Shark

Re: I'm In!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2005, 01:14 »
I know the Nuke program is demanding from what I've heard.  I'm a meteorology student at Oklahoma and our program is so demanding that we typcially start out with around 150-175 and only about 30-40 of those make it through the program.  What are the statistics like for the Nuke program?  How many people get accepted versus how many actually make it through?  What makes the Nuke program so hard?  Is it moreso the amount of work, or is it the difficulty of the material?  What are some good tips to help ensure success getting through the program?

WXMel,

Some of this is already discussed above.  As I perused through the thread, I noted a lot of questions and a couple of answers that recent policy has changed.  Please keep in mind throughout this response that I believe the Navy Nuclear Power pipeline is a great career start for intelligent hardworking young folkes, but I'm not a recruiter (to each his/her own).   :)

Just out of curiousity, what rate is your boyfriend?   ???

The best way to make it through is certainly noted in the thread ... hard work.  The program used to have statistics of 33-50% attrition.  No more. As Adidas noted, it is now around 10% with academics less than 5%.   If you want to make it through, you will.  The majority of the losses now are drugs, underage drinking (repeated offenses which leads to your reliability to operate a nuclear reactor, and the inability to obtain a clearance due to debt, pre-service offenses, etc.).  Very few drops due to academics (most of these are realistically lack of motivation).   ;D

The schools today are nothing like what they were when most of us went through.  The MM A school is everythng from Valve Operations to Air Compressors to Plant Thermodynamics to Quality Assurance.  EMs are now almost identical to ETs in that they are taught Basic Electricity, Electronics and Microprocessor Theory.  The EMs are then forked off to Power Generation topics, while the ETs continue off with more advanced Microprocessor Instrumentation and Control topics.   8)

The curriculum has changed to Computer Aided Instruction and Structured Notes.  No more of the instructor writing as fast as he/she can for an hour while students write as fast as they can.  Now, instructors have time to teach.  The average to pass on to Nuke School from A school was adjusted to 2.50 (62.5%) to make it more reasonable.  As an aside, as someone noted above, often those students who barely make it through the school are the biggest successes in the fleet (my opinion only).   ;D

Someone also mentioned SRBs above.  Zone A, B and C still exist.  But zone C has also been added into a supervisory enlistment bonus and probably in October of this year Zone D will be added to this program.  I have attached the NAVADMIN at the bottom.  That of course is written in Navy lingo, so any questions, please post and someone will answer.  SRB currently ends at 16 years, but the supervisory bonus will extend to at least 20 years of service and maybe more.  Now keep in mind, the reason the Navy is willing to pay those bonuses, is that we are in a highly competitive hiring field.  The civilian work force wants you too! (which is why I stated earlier I believe the pipeline is a great thing for the younger work force).   :o

http://www.bupers.navy.mil/navadmin/_vti_bin/navadmin-search.html0.idq

I taught at Nuke Field A School about 3 years ago (Digital and Microprocessor Theory) and then served as the ET Class Director.  Many of us thought of the program as a dinosaur that would never change.  When Admiral Bowman came in, things changed.

For you/boyfriend or Adidas or LHef, I'm one of those old giesers about to retire.  I am attached to the USS Portsmouth as the EDMC which is also about to retire.  So, if you have questions or concerns, I have left my e-mail addy open.  (You can guarantee neither you nor your significant other will ever be attached to my command) and btw, I don't get offended easily.

Have a great Navy day.  ;') Charlie (ETCM(SS))

shayne

« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2005, 10:06 »
Thanks for the update.  I only saw the beginning of changes when I separated from the Navy in Sep 2001.

rysics

« Reply #27 on: Feb 18, 2005, 08:15 »
Wow...4.3% attrition???  Class 9007 (when it was still in Orlando) had a 65% + attrition rate from "A" school through Prototype.  I have heard that the school had changed emphasis.  Can any of the recent graduates let me know if you really get your notes printed for you...we had to hand write them all, my penmenship still sucks from it (heh).

DoD Civilian RCT (better pay without the underway)

Have a great time while you're there...bootcamp was fun for the last half (someone else had a similiar experience), MM "A" school was fairly fun, NNPS was long, Prototype was a blast...3 weeks before we were done we had a party...got caught....class 9007 section 4 both S5G and A1W groups were almost de-nuked enmass...yep it was fun as hell.

newnavynuke

Brand Spankin' New!!!!
« Reply #28 on: Mar 17, 2005, 02:56 »
Hey everyone!  I have just gotten into the Navy's nuke program, and will be going to boot camp in Illinois on the 25th of April.  I'm sure the question I'm about to ask will be seen as menial and has probably been answered in other threads that I just haven't gotten to yet.....but.....what kind of things would all of you ex and current Navy nukes suggest for demeanor dearing basic and study material before A school and NPS.  I've heard conflicting things about basic.  Some people say that nukes tend to get a smarty pants rep and are often crew leaders and stuff, and others say that there's no difference, some people say do this or that, but you've been there....set me straight please!!!  Also, I'm fairly sharp and only a few hours away from having a double Bachelors in Political Science and Physics, so near as much about the difficulty level of the information at the different nuke schools, but I know it will be difficult, and would absolutely love to get some insight as to what to brush up on.  I've been reading through other threads and it's obvious that you guys know your metaphorical sh** so I thank you for your help in advance.

Thanks again,
Bryan S.
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2005, 03:32 by RCLCPO »

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Brand spankin' new!!!!
« Reply #29 on: Mar 17, 2005, 06:57 »
Hi Bryan,
You're not going to have time to study at RTC.  As far as demeanor goes, forget about how smart you are.  The WHOLE POINT of recruit training is to do as you are told.  Don't over think it.  Just do it.
If you have innate intelligence - which is evident by the fact that you have been accepted int o the nuke program - it will show on its own.  If there is some way that this can be useful in the operation of your recruit company, your company commander will put you in a leadership position.  But, don't fret if leadership roles are given to seemingly less intelligent men.  The recruit CPO and platoon leaders don't always have to be the smartest guys... they just have to get the company out of the rack and into the chow line on time.  Something as simple as having a booming voice may be their only qualification for the job.  That's all okay.  Even though you will be a "Seaman Recruit", you will still be getting paid more than those guys, and the leadership roles come with responsibilities that are not necessarily compensated.
Remember, your job is to follow instructions.  You may find it harder to follow than to lead, but do what they tell you anyway.

During RTC, you won't need anything that they don't give you.  You have no other responsibility, and no other life for those weeks.  So, it's all just a kind of a game, isn't it?  Play the game, stay tranquil, and enjoy the ride.  You'll do okay.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

CheeseheadNuke

« Reply #30 on: Mar 17, 2005, 08:33 »
Congratulations on being accepted into the nuclear program. When you complete the program (and your tours of duty at sea), you will have accomplished something you will always take pride in. Boot camp is not the nuclear navy. Beer Court is right- remember it is a game and a weeding out process to see who will follow orders- even if the orders seem stupid. If you can't do stuff like fold your skivvies the way they want you to- why should they trust you with a reactor plant? This will become a useful skill in the nuclear world even after your navy career is over. Stupid shit abounds at every nuclear facility known to mankind. Keep a low profile in boot camp. Listen 10 times more than you talk. Don't let others in your company know you're a nuke and nearly a double major college graduate. It may be used against you. Blend into the woodwork. There's plenty of time to shine after bootcamp. It won't do you much good to try to stand out there. Remember it's only for a few weeks, then it's over.

newnavynuke

« Reply #31 on: Mar 18, 2005, 03:20 »
Thanks a Ton!!!!  I really appreciate the input...a friend of mine that just recently went through told me all kinds of other stuff that I thought was BS, but then again his second try ASVAB score of 51 is at least indicative of the fact that he's one of the more dull crayons in the box.  Anyway, I have another question to pick your brains if I may.  What I would really love to do is go through RTC, A school, NPS, and Prototype, then the Nuke Commissioning program, then go to flight school and fly.  I know of a few people that have done it before, but I also know that generally the military is real hesitant to double train.  What do you think my chances are of doing this, and what should I do once I'm in to help get to flight school?  I love all the help...it really eases some apprehension and unclear points I had.

-Bryan

Fermi2

« Reply #32 on: Mar 18, 2005, 03:34 »
Once a nuke, always a nuke, at least 99.9% of the time.

Mike

newnavynuke

Who's shipping to basic on April 25th, 2005?
« Reply #33 on: Mar 18, 2005, 04:46 »
I would love to start talking with a few people that are going to basic on April 25th, 2005 that way we would know someone upon arriving...we nukes have to stick together! LOL 

-B

Smitty9000

« Reply #34 on: Mar 18, 2005, 05:00 »
If you have a degree WTF are you doing going to boot camp?
My Dad asked me what a Petty Officer was before I went in to the NAV.
Petty=Small and insignificant
Officer=Person in charge.
So do you want be that person?
With a degree go to OCS!
Choose something in the non nuclear field.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #35 on: Mar 18, 2005, 06:50 »

It's possible that he wants to serve his country and receive more education.

With a degree go to OCS!

I'm of the opinion that there will be more nuclear plants built.  Why not go into it and virtually guarantee yourself a way into the industry?  Not trying to start a flame war, just one possibile set of answers.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

jdvazquez

dates for NFAS
« Reply #36 on: Mar 18, 2005, 10:59 »
I am curently in the Navy DEP, enlisted to be in the nuclear field. Does anyone know the dates or general advice for NFAS, and or the standard shedule after the Pass in Review, receiveing orders and first assignment?

also i have familiy in the Nuke field (curently at CR3 in crystal river, FL) and spured my interest on proposed plans for future plants, job openings, and legislation in progress to allow more plant. any info is appreciated.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2005, 09:28 by jdvazquez »

newnavynuke

Other New Nukes....
« Reply #37 on: Mar 19, 2005, 04:35 »
I tried to post this before, but it got deleted somehow!   :'(  Probably a user=id10t error....haha...  Anyway, I was thinking that it would be cool to meet other prospective nukes that are shipping out on or around April 25th to boot camp.  I figured that since this whole training process from RTC through prototype school is made easier by team work....let's get an early start and meet each other.  It would be cool as hell to get off the plane in IL and already know a few guys to work with.  I look forward to getting yelled at with you!

-Bryan

Oh yeah!  For any non-member that might be reading this, my personal email is Brys123@gmail.com, so feel free to email me there....one person already has.

-B
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2005, 06:47 by Shayne »

jeepgirl1

« Reply #38 on: Mar 21, 2005, 08:33 »
With a degree go to OCS!

If only it were that easy  ::).  Just because you have a degree doesn't mean that there is a slot waiting for you in OCS.  OCS is EXTREMELY competitive right now.  If you don't have 3.5+ GPA with a technical degree, the officer recruiter pretty much says "thanks for the interest, but your chances are very slim for being accepted".  Additionally, the Navy has an overabundance of junior officers, so much in fact that they've started to "trim the fat" as a part of their force-shaping.       

MMCIcebergDX

Re: Brand Spankin' New!!!!
« Reply #39 on: Mar 31, 2005, 06:58 »
Well, first off, You will be viewed as a smarty pants, get used to it, but DON'T advertise that you are a Nuke wanna be.
Second, remember navy also stands for Never Again Volunteer Yourself.  Keep your had down when/if they look for volunteers for pin staff (leadership)
Third, DON'T NUKE STUFF OUT!  Nukes as a group, we tend to think too much on some things, and in boot camp, this can be a very bad thing.   
Fourth, just remember that you will be around people from areas you have never been, and some of them will be from the best of the best, and some of them, you will wonder how they are not in jail, or a nuthouse, it takes all kinds to serve in the navy, the goal is to survive, and to not make life any harder on any of you as a group, then is absolutely necessary.
Last, before long you will hear the term F#$kin' Nuke.  Get used to it, be proud of it, and remember that a lot of them could not do it, hold you head up, take the lumps, and DRIVE ON!

Good luck, and study hard.
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2005, 07:21 by Shayne »

NukeWife

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2005, 03:18 »
I just wanted to say good luck to all those future nukes! The one who started this thread already left I think but good luck to Bryan!  I was a nuke..yes..WAS.  I couldn't hack it.  And there are A LOT of reasons as to why the people who don't make..well...don't.  A lot of my fellow nukes were lost because of doing stupid things like underage drinking..or restriction problems.  I am happy to say that I never had any type of bad conduct marks on my military record. I was never yellow badged..or orange badged (restriction)..I was also great on my military inspections and the like.  I even was awarded the Commander's Personal Excellence Award at my graduation of 'A' school.  Although I sort of wonder if that isn't an 'atta girl-consolation prize' because I almost didn't make it through 'A' school.  There really wasn't anything that would have made me more prepared for Nuke school.  MOST of my instructors were really helpful..some weren't ( and I always wondered if some of them were like that because it was their shore duty... anyone care to comment on that speculation? ).  But I ended up going to Palmetto in my 5th week of Power School.  Really though the two people who got me through that tough time were my husband and my SLPO.  When I was at Palmetto there were 3 other nukes there and my SLPO was the only one who came to visit me every single day.  It was a bit reassuring to not feel like I was only a number to the Navy.. Now I am not here to say that my not completing Nuke school was the programs fault or the Navys fault.  The only thing that I would say is that there is an amount of responsibility on their part for it getting to the point where it did.  I read through some of these posts and see what people who made it through the program are saying to those who are struggling.  The negativity towards them, it just amazes me...As one who didn't make it through, I want to say it isn't easy accepting that.  While I can't speak for everyone who doesn't make it..I know for me that I do feel a lot of disappointment in not making it through Power school.  There is NO test that can be given to determine if you will be successful in Nuke school.  Unless they determine how to test for success.  Sorry for going on and on..but I just wanted those who make it through to be a little more considerate of those who complain about the program and are having difficulties.  You had it tough...I appreciate that..but just because you could handle that...well..times have changed..and I don't think that most youths are conditioned for some of the things that occur in the program.  Good luck to those future "50-50-90"s!!! And if things do get tough for you...TALK TO SOMEONE!!! Talk or yell or scream until SOMEONE listens to you!! And I don't mean your fellow classmates necessarily...I mean your SLPO..an instructor...the chaplain..Someone higher ranking than you!! But stay in your CoC...I don't imagine that the captain would want you barging into his office rioting!  Just tell someone...The sooner you do that...the better chance you have of fixing the problem before its too late!  That was my mistake..I hope and pray that it won't be yours!
Former EM3

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?