Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Quick question....  

Author Topic: Quick question....  (Read 5484 times)

newnavynuke

Quick question....
« on: Mar 24, 2005, 02:05 »
My parents want to drive me from RTC to Charleston instead of me flying like normal.  Is this allowed?  I tried asking the regional nuke recruiter, and my recruiter...neither knew.  I also called the so called "help desk" at RTC, and they in their infinite wisdom couldn't even figure out my question!!! Grrrr....dumb people!!!!  Anyway, I know you guys will know.....

Thanks in advance,
B

ex-SSN585

Re: Quick question....
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2005, 02:53 »
Edit:  Post deleted due to outdated information.  I originally thought this was reasonable, assuming newnavynuke was considering a short drive from Florida, but have since realized that I don't know where NF candidates are sent to RTC these days and that RTC Orlando is probably closed.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2005, 06:08 by ex-SSN585 »

taterhead

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2005, 03:17 »
I can say that I have never heard of it happening.

In fact, we didn't actually leave RTC until almost 5 full days after graduation.  We had the liberty weekend, then played boot camp for a few more days, then left.

Your plane ticket is already bought at this point.  We went straight away from Chicago to Orlando, and were taken straight to the base, checked into our barracks, then released on a modified liberty.  The whole point is that, in the eyes of the Navy, you aren't quite ready to be released on the world yet.

Let me offer this small piece of advice...you don't want to start being the "special case" right off the bat.

ex-SSN585

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2005, 06:02 »
Reading taterhead's advice prompts me to point out some differences that probably make my previous advice very bad:

When I went through boot camp in San Diego, I was the only MMNF in the company.  We finished training on a Thursday, went to graduation on a Friday, then I left for Great Lakes for a week of self-paced propulsion plant basics and MM "A" school.

I was basically on my own until I arrived at NPS Orlando months later.

Now "A" school and NPS are in the same place, so it sounds like the Navy can group people together more easily.

So, you'll have to get input from a recent graduate.  If they travelled as a group and did not receive their transfer packet (orders and service jacket) until arriving at Charleston, it sounds like it will not be possible.  If you transfer during the week, you may not have enough travel and proceed time to make the trip.  (Oh, they don't have RTC in Orlando anymore, do they?  You'll probably only be allowed one day travel and proceed time, so if you don't go to RTC in Orlando, you won't be able to make it.)

This makes me want to delete my entire previous post.  (In fact, I'm going to delete most of it right now if I can.)  Where are you going to boot camp?  If the only places for RTC are Great Lakes and San Diego, you definitely will not have enough time.  Sorry to mislead you earlier, but as I said, my information is very dated.  I wouldn't count on being a "special case", which would have to be a do-it-yourself transfer with a Personally Owned Vehicle.  I would guess that's just not possible coming from boot camp because that type of travel would not be authorized.

Sorry, no.  I would say that it is more a case of "not logistically possible" due to time constraints rather than "not allowed".

shayne

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2005, 11:29 »
I believe Great Lakes is the only Navy Boot Camp these days. 

I heard that the Navy eliminated 2 weeks leave between RTC and A school after Orlando was no longer in the picture. 

I had 2 weeks leave after boot camp, but I only had to walk from RTC to A school in Orlando.

RCLCPO

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2005, 04:27 »
The only boot camp we have is the one in Great Lakes.

After graduating from RTC, you will board a plane bound for Charleston, SC.  There, you will be taken to the NNPTC complex, assigned a barracks (read:hotel) room.  the Navy will keep pretty tight control over you--not as much as at boot camp--but you will still be kept controlled.  Over the next several weeks, your freedoms will increase incrementally.  This is to gradually turn you loose on the outside world after your weeks at RTC.  I think of it as sort-of like decompression after a deep dive.  Trust me, you really don't want to go flying up to the surface of the civilian world after being deep into the Navy.  Go with the program, and you'll be fine.

As far as I know, you will not be allowed to drive to NNPTC.  Even those folks who are married go to NNPTC first, check in, then go back home to pack up their spouse and return to NNPTC.

newnavynuke

« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2005, 04:58 »
Thanks for the heads up guys!  I'm fine with, and actually prefer that I don't go with my family, but they just wanted me to ask.  Thanks again, I'll pass it on.....

-Bryan

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2005, 05:24 »
Bryan:

You got lucky that the answer was what you wanted to hear. Next time give us the objective and we will supply you with the justification.  ;)  :o  ;D
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

newnavynuke

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2005, 11:55 »
HAHAHAHA!!!!  Noted! Thanks again....

-B

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?