Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Mom of a nuke program hopeful honeypot

Author Topic: Mom of a nuke program hopeful  (Read 9815 times)

tonyestes

Mom of a nuke program hopeful
« on: Mar 22, 2005, 12:22 »
My son, turned 17 yrs about 3 weeks ago. Graduates a year early from high school iin June and has 59 college credits really wants to be in the Navys Nuclear Program. He scored well (we think ) on the ASVAB. We only have 5 of his scores as he just took it on Saturday. But he scored an 83 for the AFQT. This morning the recruiter had him scheduled to take the NAPT this comming Wednesday, by 5PM this evening she had called to say that someone at MEPS wants him to wait to get his line scores. Why? Any advice in this area is a great help....

ex-SSN585

Re: Mom of a nuke program hopeful
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2005, 02:44 »
The reason might be that the line scores might qualify your son for the nuclear program without taking the NAPT.  MEPS personnel might want to see whether or not the line scores qualify your son so they don't have to spend time giving test.

Congratulations on your son's academic achievements!
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2005, 02:45 by ex-SSN585 »

newnavynuke

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2005, 10:08 »
Tell your son congratulations, and I'll see him in SC.  I leave for boot camp April 25th, and will be in Nuke A school 2 months-ish after that.  Just to reassure you about the test thing....that's exactly what happened to me, they saw my SAT's and college stuff, and made me wait to take the ASVAB at MEPS, saw the line scores and it was the only test I had to take.  So don't feel like you should be doing something else....if he has good line scores on ASVAB (which sounds like he would) then you're good to go.  Good luck to both of you, I'm sure he'll be a hell of a sailor! :)

-Bryan

tonyestes

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2005, 12:33 »
Thank you, this information as well as what we have read on this forum has really helped. Its good to know that this forum exists. We werent real sure as to why she would cancel the test like that. I guess the rest of his line scores will be back someime this afternoon and he will know for sure. Tony has really sunk his life into joining the Navy and its Nuclear Program. He is determined to make it. As a mom I am proud of his accomplshments and nerve racked. Wont tell him that though. I fully support what he does I just wish he were a little older doing it. I dont understand the enlistment process but this site is helping with that. Thank you again...Sandee

tonyestes

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2005, 01:41 »
Tonys recruiter called a few minutes ago, he is going to take this NAPT, she said he needs to score a 53 on it. Still wont give us line scores but obviously she knows he needs to take it. I seen somewhere in this site some info on that test so I will read further to find what I can. He wants to spend the day reviewing physics (he took Physics 101 and aced the class in college) dont know if thats enough. His math level is currently Indroductory Calculus and Trigonometry. YEs, mom is more worried than he....Does anyone have any pointers or advice for him?? If it helps he scored 60 MK, 59 AR, 63 PC, 58 VE, 55 WK.
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2005, 01:44 by tonyestes »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2005, 01:51 »
I'm not an expert, but I know one!  :D
The Navy's Advanced Programs Test (NAPT), what is known as the "Nuke Test", is an 80 question exam.  The time limit is 2 hours, and it's 50 math questions, 15 basic chemistry and 15 basic physics questions.  The only authorized study guide for the exam is the Navy correspondence course Mathematics Volume 1.

I lifted this relevant answer from http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4903.25.html

I also understand the higher stress level for a parent than for the 17-yr old. Youth is wasted on the young!!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

tonyestes

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2005, 02:08 »
 :)THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!HE should do fine....

tonyestes

« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2005, 11:25 »
This is Tony. I am Blue's son. I want to thank everyone for their help and useful information about the Nuke program. I have been wanting to do this since I was in the eighth grade and all the information that I keep getting makes me want to do it even more. Again thank you all.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2005, 11:30 »
If you want the text to study (from RCLCPO's post) it is available via Froogle!
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=navy+mathematics+vol+1&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&as_qdr=all&tab=ff&oi=froogler

I doubt you will need it, but thought you might find the link interesting!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2005, 01:08 »
Tony --

From all of us at NukeWorker.com, you are welcome and most importantly, good luck in your navy career (and after). Please keep us informed of how you are progressing. Perhaps you could even start a narrative (in all of the 'spare' time you will have  ;)) letting us know how you are doing and what you are going through... a sort of 'start-to-finish' Navy experience. I know it might be tough to find the time and opportunity on a regular basis, but even irregular updates would be a very welcome addition to the site. Might even help someone else make their own decision in the future.

You could be the NukeWorker Navy Reporter. What do you think?
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

radgal

« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2005, 03:52 »
Tony,

Good luck I'm sure you'll do fine!  I'd love to read your navy experience updates I think RDTroja idea is a good one if you can find the time!  Good luck!

Radgal

tonyestes

« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2005, 07:15 »
 :) ;) ;D :P He DID it!!!! Tony took the NAPT and scored a 59....Got told he was entering the Nuclear Program, I am sure that you will find him on here alot before he leaves for RTC in June. Gotta say thank you to all. So much can be said for this site. .............

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2005, 07:33 »
Congratulations Tony! :)

Good Luck, I'm sure you'll do fine in NPS
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2005, 08:46 »
So much can be said for this site. .............

Actually I think it says a lot more about your son... and you.

Congratulations Tony and welcome to the Nuclear world... the lobotomy won't hurt a bit.  ;)
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

tonyestes

« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2005, 11:28 »
 :) :) :) :) :) :)This is Tony. Thank you all for the help. I am very happy that I made it. There is really no other occupation that I would be in. I wanted to be part of the elite and now I am. Again thanks for the info and help.

tonyestes

« Reply #15 on: Mar 31, 2005, 11:04 »
 :)Well, right hand raised, took the oath and ship in September unless an opening comes up....For now though I have 30 college credits that I need to ace this term. >:( Its all good though. I will be alot happier when I get to ship out. I have been told that the easy part is over and the hard part is yet to begin. Thank God that I like a challenge.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Apr 01, 2005, 08:35 »
Welcome aboard!
And thanks for your service.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?