Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Saxton  

Author Topic: Saxton  (Read 25179 times)

oldradman

Saxton
« on: Jan 22, 2004, 05:12 »
HELLO MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS,

Can any 1 give me some heads up on Saxton site in Pa.? Like whats going on there as far as work, and the job is it long term there. I know Bartlett has contrac, but curious about the site.
Thank you, and  HAPPY NEW YEAR ;D     TO ALL
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2005, 06:08 by Rennhack »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: Saxton, PA
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2004, 12:03 »
last news i heard about  i posted on nuke news vol2..... re:contracts, depends on what you're wanting to do. 
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

WIFEY26525

« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2004, 12:39 »
I LEFT THERE ALITTLE OVER A YEAR AGO. I CAN SAY THE TECHS WERE GOOD PEOPLE, THE AREA WAS SECLUDED BUT NICE, THE WORK WAS DIFFERENT BUT ENJOYABLE AND THE SUPERVISION WAS MOSTLY GOOD. BUT,,,,, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION AND FEELINGS,,,,,, NOT TO BE TAKEN AS GOSPEL TRUTH.......
 BEWARE, MANAGEMENT  GAVE ME THE OL' "YOU ARE COMMITING FOR 8 MONTHS, YOU GIVE YOUR WORD YOU WILL STAY" SPEECH, UNFORTUNATELY THE MANAGEMENT DEMANDS YOU STAND BY YOUR WORD WHILE THEY DON'T GIVE THE SLIGHTEST THOUGHT TO GOING BACK ON THEIRS. THEY LAID EVERYBODY OF  AFTER 1 MONTH !!!! MANAGEMENT WILL NOT GIVE YOU ANY WARNING EITHER. NO REMORSE, NO "WE'RE SORRY ABOUT THIS", THEY CARE LESS ABOUT THE WORKERS THAN A SERIAL KILLER CARES ABOUT HIS VICTIMS.
MIKE WILLIAMS WAS THE BEST, (GPU MANAGER) , HONEST, AND CARES. IF YOU COME ACROSS A RAD ENGINEER NAMED ******, BEWARE !!!!!!!!!!!.
IN MY OPINION HE IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED !!!!!
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2004, 06:52 by Roll Tide »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2004, 06:53 »
This is not a bashing session, it is for general discussion about the site. Play nice.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

curry703

Saxton, PA Unexpected Radiation Release
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2004, 10:42 »
I'm considering a purchase of property within 5 miles of the Saxton, PA reactor site and have come across some information regarding 4 instances of unexpected radiation releases from the plant in 1970 and 1971.  I also have found that a study in 1976 was conducted of leukemia occurrences within a 5 mile radius of Saxton and the results showed 19 occurences out of 4000 sampled, which is six times the expected rate.  The state Health Department though, dismissed the findings, saying the methodology was suspect and the sample too small.

The question I have is how would I go about finding out if the Saxton, PA area is clean of radiation?  I know very little about nuclear power. However, I believe that released radiation could contaminate an area for a century or more.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: Saxton, PA Unexpected Radiation Release
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2004, 07:09 »

The question I have is how would I go about finding out if the Saxton, PA area is clean of radiation?  I know very little about nuclear power. However, I believe that released radiation could contaminate an area for a century or more.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

The nearest public library to the site should have some good info. Based on the radionuclides of any contamination event will determine how long for decay to occur. Get some info and post it, and we can give some specifics.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

usnnukey

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2004, 03:20 »
For those looking for Pat Donnachie, try this work phone #(717)948-8110.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2004, 06:18 »
please share your definition for an area being clean of radiation, as our definition may not be well received.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

curry703

« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2004, 08:31 »
please share your definition for an area being clean of radiation, as our definition may not be well received.

Examples of my non-technical definition would be that my young children would not have an increased chance of developing leukemia/cancer/etc. due to being exposed to this property and that well water wouldn't be contaminated.

curry703

« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2004, 08:35 »
The nearest public library to the site should have some good info. Based on the radionuclides of any contamination event will determine how long for decay to occur. Get some info and post it, and we can give some specifics.

If I'm able to get uncover specific information as to what was released in 1970-1971, I will definitely post it here.  Thanks.

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
  • Constants aren't, variables won't.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2004, 08:29 »
The Pennsylvania DEP should also have information and hard data on the facility.
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt instruments"  -Lester B. Pearson

hillrunner07

Saxton........................
« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2005, 09:16 »
Just wanted to inform anyone thinking of going to Saxton to work this spring and summer. Make sure you get in writing the details of your committment. I was there for the length of time I committed for and did not receive the bonus I had agreed to. After there a few weeks was told bonus was only if you stayed till end of year.
Seems the management at Saxton can make up the rules as they go.
BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucky13

« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2005, 12:29 »
(Sounds normal.) But all BS aside whom is hiring for Saxton and for how long ?
I wouldnt mind spending a summer in the backwoods of Penntukey.
Cheap beer big trucks and some nice trailer park girls.

chancejessie

Saxton, PA
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 12:09 »
What is the status of the free release of the Saxton site? Do they still have surveys to do or is it all number crunching and report writing? Thanks for any info.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 04:14 »
I'm considering a purchase of property within 5 miles of the Saxton, PA reactor site and have come across some information regarding 4 instances of unexpected radiation releases from the plant in 1970 and 1971.  I also have found that a study in 1976 was conducted of leukemia occurrences within a 5 mile radius of Saxton and the results showed 19 occurences out of 4000 sampled, which is six times the expected rate.  The state Health Department though, dismissed the findings, saying the methodology was suspect and the sample too small.

Just to open your eyes a little ... I was shocked to find that there are "dead" rivers/streams in the area caused from runoff from coal mines, I would check with the EPA, perhaps the Sierra Club and the locals for more information.

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 05:22 »
Examples of my non-technical definition would be that my young children would not have an increased chance of developing leukemia/cancer/etc. due to being exposed to this property and that well water wouldn't be contaminated.

I am unsure whether this poster still checks this site, it would appear that tis conversation has ceased.  However, due to the nature of the denizens of this site which I enjoy immensely,  I feel drawn to respond.  Contamination being a relative term, ala "dirty" is a relative term depending on whether you are a child or a parent- perhaps even a man or a woman, I doubt that this poster could possibly understand the question involved.  Especially since it is tied to "an increased chance" of cancer developement.  I doubt whether the legal eagles could ever reach this form of definition, let alone the technical wizards of the world. 

atomicarcheologist

Re: Saxton
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2005, 05:53 »
When you are in Bedford, there is an old hotel that is very much worth seeing!  I can't remember the name, but it was under reconstruction a couple of years ago and should be complete now.   You do not have to go all the way to Lancaster for the Amish and Mennonite, they are in Indiana and Armstrong counties also.  There are nice rivers and lakes in the area for recreation as well as many pastoral scenes to view while driving around.  When in doubt, go to the top of the nearest hill, park, and take in the vista. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?