Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu questions about the nuclear industry honeypot

Author Topic: questions about the nuclear industry  (Read 29 times)

Offline captain hank

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
questions about the nuclear industry
« on: Jun 13, 2024, 06:16 »
So, i'm soon to be a freshman in college. The hope is to go to graduate school, get my Ph. D., and use that for a power plant operator (if possible) or maybe a medical physicist. The real question I have about the industry is what exactly is it like? Is it rewarding, boring, fun, some other adjective i'm not listing? Is it a good idea to even go into the nuclear sector? Also, what is it like health-wise (such as insurance, if regular check-ups are required, overall safety of the sector0?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: questions about the nuclear industry
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2024, 06:58 »
So, i'm soon to be a freshman in college. The hope is to go to graduate school, get my Ph. D., and use that for a power plant operator (if possible) or maybe a medical physicist. The real question I have about the industry is what exactly is it like? Is it rewarding, boring, fun, some other adjective i'm not listing? Is it a good idea to even go into the nuclear sector? Also, what is it like health-wise (such as insurance, if regular check-ups are required, overall safety of the sector0?

Well first for a freshman you may change your mind on your major while in college, that is common. My daughter changed hers a couple of times. Nuclear engineering is a mix of several disciplines a major in a more focused degree that can be used elsewhere may be more beneficial: mechanical, electrical, computer sciences etc. Operators do not need a PHD but there is a continuous need for them at the national labs. As for rewarding that depends on the position you have operations is just one out of many in a power plant. Power plants are an industrial environment, the labs are more of a campus environment again depending on position. Good luck and hopefully you will get more input from others here on NukeWorker.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?