Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu POSS (Power Plant Operator Selection System) Test

Author Topic: POSS (Power Plant Operator Selection System) Test  (Read 486337 times)

mchance

Re: POSS TEST
« Reply #75 on: Jul 17, 2008, 04:36 »
Reeves,

This is my first post to this site, but l have been following some post lately. I took the Poss/Moss test for the first time in September of 07. I did not pass the first time but passed the second time in Feb. of 08.
The best advice I can give you, is to know how to make you conversions quickly and be able to do some basic algebra, example (3+18x=21).Do not let them fool you with fractions 1/4 is .25. It was easier for me to solve the problems in decimals. Get yourself an old Pre-Algebra book.The reading comprehension could also be a bit difficult. I read question and then found key words to question in paragraph to complete my answer. The mechanical part is not that difficult if you have a mechanical background. Also your test may be different I assume. I took my test with Southern Nuclear Co. Still hoping for a call from Vogtle. I hope this helps.

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #76 on: Jul 17, 2008, 04:44 »
Does the utility web site give you any links for practice tests?  I took the test back in Nov of 07 and passed it but I studied the practice tests and was suprised that they were just like the test.  The only difference is the test is longer and timed.  If you can get your hands on them study those. 

Reeves

« Reply #77 on: Jul 17, 2008, 06:18 »
Thanks alot for the replys.......

RVExotics

One more week!
« Reply #78 on: Jul 17, 2008, 11:46 »
A week from today I'll finally get to find out exactly how the POSS test is. I think I'm ready, but I'm going to keep working on mechanical manipulation and conversions. I still have never seen a description of the line drawing section, so I guess I'll just wing it when I get to that section. I plan to bring several pencils so that I can use one for a straight edge.

Any last minute tips?

burgher

POSS Test
« Reply #79 on: Jul 18, 2008, 11:15 »
How long do you have to wait to re-take the POSS test for a second time, and also a third time?

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
Re: POSS Test
« Reply #80 on: Jul 18, 2008, 11:40 »
other posts i've read on this site say six months

i'm sure one of our well respected moderators can give you a link. we have several threads on the POSS test, do a search.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #81 on: Jul 18, 2008, 01:18 »
How long do you have to wait to re-take the POSS test for a second time, and also a third time?

I'm certain it varies site to site.  That said, at Callaway we've been told 30 days between tests and you can only take it 3 times.  This is for in-house personnel say wanting to go to operations who didn't score high enough to get there on their original POSS test that got them into the plant. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Bleyse

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: POSS Clarification
« Reply #82 on: Jul 18, 2008, 01:47 »
Line drawing section?  I don't remember anything like that on the POSS.  The only thing I can think of that a straight edge might help on is the graphing section.  As far as "drawing" goes, there is the spatial relations or assembly questions that have "drawings" on them.  You are given a drawing of several objects that are labeled on various parts.  You have to match them up and select from four or five drawings what the parts would like like when properly assembled.

As others have said before, the best way to prepare for this test is to get a few practice ASVAB tests and work on your ability to answer the questions quickly and accurately.

Offline Bleyse

• Moderate User
« Reply #83 on: Jul 18, 2008, 01:53 »
TVA rules state that a candidate is not allowed to re-test within a six month period of the exam.  After 6 months, at the request of the candidate, TVA at its discretion may opt to re-test the candidate.  Candidates are not allowed to test at their own expense or the expense of the union. 

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
Re: One more week!
« Reply #84 on: Jul 18, 2008, 07:14 »
A week from today I'll finally get to find out exactly how the POSS test is. I think I'm ready, but I'm going to keep working on mechanical manipulation and conversions. I still have never seen a description of the line drawing section, so I guess I'll just wing it when I get to that section. I plan to bring several pencils so that I can use one for a straight edge.

Any last minute tips?
I just took the POSS Monday at Millstone.  It was just like the practice test, only longer.  I recommend that, except for the reading comprehension, you skip problems that you can't instantly attack and move on.  For me this was especially true in the math section.  There were sections of geedunk problems sprinkled in what I thought were some of the tougher (or more time-consuming ones). 

Based on recommendations from some of the nukeworkers I bought an ASVAB prep book (McGraw Hill version - it had a CD with extra practice exams).  The math section was probably the most beneficial, but I recommend you stick with problems similar to the ones in the EEI POSS practice test.

One more recommendation:  for the graphing portion, fold your scrap paper in half and use it as a straight edge.  That helped me go a little faster. 

To get the practice exams go to a utility website (http://www.fplcareers.com/about/contents/test.shtml) and click on the link.  I recommend printing the exams and doing the exams as fast as you can (just like EEI recommends).  Hope this helps.  I passed the test, by the way.

Derek Murray
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

RVExotics

« Reply #85 on: Jul 20, 2008, 01:03 »
Congrats Derek! And thank you Bleyse. I guess I misread somewhere along the way about a line drawing section - it must've referred to the graphing section. I'm glad to hear that though, because until now I didn't know there was a graphing section! I knew there was a section about reading tables and graphs, but not drawing graphs.

I've worked through a couple of ASVAB practice tests but stopped using them because the math involved far more complex problems - like knowing formulas for different scenarios. I'm assuming I won't need to know formulas for kinetic energy, momentum, etc for the POSS test.

I did buy the ARCO Mechanical Aptitude and Spatial Relations book and have been working through it. I'm consistently scoring high in each section, so it's giving me some hope for next Thursday.

I'm just looking forward to getting the thing over with!

Derek, did you receive a notification from Millstone that you passed, or were you able to check the results online?

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #86 on: Jul 20, 2008, 07:46 »
I knew there was a section about reading tables and graphs, but not drawing graphs.

I've worked through a couple of ASVAB practice tests but stopped using them because the math involved far more complex problems - like knowing formulas for different scenarios. I'm assuming I won't need to know formulas for kinetic energy, momentum, etc for the POSS test.

I did buy the ARCO Mechanical Aptitude and Spatial Relations book and have been working through it. I'm consistently scoring high in each section, so it's giving me some hope for next Thursday.

I'm just looking forward to getting the thing over with!

Derek, did you receive a notification from Millstone that you passed, or were you able to check the results online?

There are no graphs to draw.  It's just like the practice test.  I used the straight edge to help me line up the points on the graph and focus on the appropriate line on the tables.

WRT the math, it was just like the practice test.  One section of conversions and then a section of mostly algebra.  This involved a lot of questions on decimal points and dividing fractions.  Examples:

.5X + 5 =  3.5X  + 12.5; solve for X

divide 3X/2 by 4x/12

These are not exact problems that I saw, but they are the type I didn't practice much.

Here's the e-mail I got:
RE: 8854BR, Nuclear Plant Equipment Operator

"Derek Murray,

Congratulations, your test result for the EEI Plant Operator Selection System (POSS) test is Recommended Fossil, Hydro & Nuclear. We are currently evaluating the qualifications of those individuals who were recommended. Dominion will be reviewing the pool of applicants who will move forward to the next step in the screening process.

Your test result is valid with Dominion indefinitely. We know your time is valuable and we appreciate you taking the time to take the test. Thank you for your interest in employment with Dominion.

Sincerely,

April Fisher"
Testing Coordinator

Hope this helps.

DM
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

RVExotics

POSS Math Conversion Table
« Reply #87 on: Jul 22, 2008, 05:35 »
Quick Question: Is the table of conversions on the real POSS test the same as the table on the practice test? In other words, are all the same unit conversions on the real one and is it in the same order? This could be handy to know Thursday for quick reference or a reminder.

B.PRESGROVE

Re: POSS Math Conversion Table
« Reply #88 on: Jul 22, 2008, 05:42 »
When I took the test in November it was in the same order.  The test however was a little more complicated then the practice test so study some harder conversions, algebra, basic mathmatics, and word problems.  Best of luck to ya.

RVExotics

« Reply #89 on: Jul 22, 2008, 05:51 »
Great, thanks for the quick response! I just wanted to be sure if I had to reference the table, I would have a general idea where to quickly glance if it was in the same order.

I've been practicing lots of conversions and simplistic algebra. Were the word problems along the lines of "Beth works 60 hours this week and is paid $5.60 for the first 40 hours, plus time and a half for overtime. How much did Beth make?" or the more confusing "What is the radius is a wheel that is three times larger than a wheel with twice the...yadda yadda"?

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #90 on: Jul 23, 2008, 05:34 »
Dont over study yourself.  I thought this was going to be some big test that would really rack my brain, but in the end was suprised it was just a basic knowledge test.  The ASVAB was harder if you ever took that.  Just study those practice tests and I promise youll do fine.  Good luck my friend and let us know how you do.

By the way which utility is it for?

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #91 on: Jul 23, 2008, 05:53 »
Not on the exam I took last week at Millstone.   I ended up finding some easier ones towards the end, so you might find it useful to do all the straightforward conversions first.  I did not finish the math section, which included the conversions, but I did all the conversion section.

Derek
T. Roosevelt

RVExotics

« Reply #92 on: Jul 23, 2008, 07:01 »
I have done a couple run-throughs of the online practice ASVAB tests, and I kind of found them challenging, mainly because I needed to know some specific physical science and math formulas that I haven't studied in years. I've been doing a bit of balancing between preparing for the test and trying to enjoy my last summer off, as it were. I would like to think I'm now prepared sufficiently, and I have a feeling that much of passing this exam is due to innate ability rather than preparation (hence the fact that it's an aptitude exam) so there's really only so much you can prepare. I have to admit, I wish I could've learned long division and multiplication as quickly when I was a student as I did when I refreshed myself on it a couple weeks ago!

I'm taking the test in hopes for an AO position at Arkansas Nuclear One. I'll update the thread tomorrow afternoon!

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #93 on: Jul 23, 2008, 08:54 »
Oh yah one last thing, I dont know how it is in arkansas but here at our utility its not so much how many you complete but more the quality of the ones you complete.  In other words you dont have to finish all of them to pass, I met a fella that took the test and passed it but only did 10 questions on the math part.  Not that im saying do that, but just a little more fodder for the fire.

RVExotics

« Reply #94 on: Jul 24, 2008, 01:19 »
Quick update: The table was not the same as on the practice exam. More about it in the "A reflection on the POSS test" thread I'm creating.

aeon

Re: Power Plant Operator Selection System Test - Help!
« Reply #95 on: Jul 25, 2008, 10:36 »
I'm having trouble accessing the EEI test brochure  and practice test pages. None of the user names and passwords I've found online seem to work. I get 'The account you entered was not found or your browser may not be enabled to accept cookies.' My cookies are enabled. Can anyone help me out?

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

PapaBear765

« Reply #97 on: Jul 27, 2008, 04:40 »
Sorry if this has already been asked, but is the POSS something you take after a company hires you, or is it like the SATs for getting a college to accept you?

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #98 on: Jul 27, 2008, 04:50 »
It's more like the SAT's, a pre-employment test.  Here's a pretty good thread on the POSS from a member who just got done taking it last week: 

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=14894.0
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

action48a

« Reply #99 on: Sep 04, 2008, 08:44 »
Hi all this is my first time posting. I took the POSS Test two days ago so it is still fresh in my mind.  I feel that most of it was no problem I was able to complete the mechanical concepts and the reading comprehension portions of the test.

The only real trouble that I had was the mathmatics. If I had it to do over again I would save the first section (unit conversion) for last. About halfway through the math section I was still stuck in the unit conversions it is just too time consuming. When I said forget this I went to section 2 and it was basic algebra and moved along much faster the same can be said about the word problems.

Each section has its easy ones like quarts to gallons, one step algebra, and distance travelled word problems. My recommendation is if you can't solve it in 10 seconds move on because you will miss the easy points concentrating on the time wasters.

Hope this helps.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?