Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu POSS (Power Plant Operator Selection System) Test honeypot

Author Topic: POSS (Power Plant Operator Selection System) Test  (Read 486295 times)

BoilerHP

Re: Power Plant Operator Selection System Test - Help!
« Reply #150 on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:29 »
Told yah ;) congrats, but now best of luck! What company is this for?

skewter30

« Reply #151 on: Jan 28, 2009, 04:21 »
Constellation Energy.  It is in my home town.  I live just 5 miles from the facilities.  My wife teaches near bye and we really wanted to stay in the area.  If I can give a convincing interview life is good!

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #152 on: Jan 29, 2009, 08:03 »
Constellation Energy.  It is in my home town.  I live just 5 miles from the facilities.  My wife teaches near bye and we really wanted to stay in the area.  If I can give a convincing interview life is good!

Good luck Skewter - getting a house job where you already live is a big bonus - you don't have to make the life transitions that everyone else does. Also, you already have a life outside of work...It worked that way for me. The fact that you are already grounded in the area should be a plus, as they won't have to worry as much about you taking a license and going to Exelon...
When I was asked in my interview why I wanted to work here (at the time I was a road HP, and would take a big cut in pay to go house) I placed a pic of my infant daughter on the table, and said I wanted to watch her grow up in person, not from across the country. Got the job, still here 7 yrs later.... ;D
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
Re: POSS Test
« Reply #153 on: Jan 29, 2009, 07:50 »
I'm flying out to nine mile point to take the POSS on Monday, and the interview Monday afternoon. The email that the HR person sent me explicitly said to dress for the test, not the interview. Dress to be comfortable.

I'm trying to decide whether I'll outsmart myself if I dress in a nice shirt and tie, slacks, the whole bit for the test, so that I'll be dressed for the interview. Or will that tell them that I don't follow instructions...

Oh I wish she wouldn't have said that.

BoilerHP

« Reply #154 on: Jan 29, 2009, 07:54 »
I dressed comfy but nice, I find dressing nice helps with confidence on important exams. Why not khakis, nice polo or button down minus the tie (business casual).

Do what you feel will help you on the test!

Best of luck.

skewter30

« Reply #155 on: Jan 30, 2009, 10:25 »
Good luck Skewter - getting a house job where you already live is a big bonus - you don't have to make the life transitions that everyone else does. Also, you already have a life outside of work...It worked that way for me. The fact that you are already grounded in the area should be a plus, as they won't have to worry as much about you taking a license and going to Exelon...
When I was asked in my interview why I wanted to work here (at the time I was a road HP, and would take a big cut in pay to go house) I placed a pic of my infant daughter on the table, and said I wanted to watch her grow up in person, not from across the country. Got the job, still here 7 yrs later.... ;D

Thanks for the advice.  I think it will help that I am established in the area.  I think that has already played a role in getting my foot in the door at Human Resources. 

BoilerHP

« Reply #156 on: Jan 30, 2009, 10:46 »
If you don't have any kids, maybe you can borrow "dads" photo of his kids... worked for him 8). But best of luck and hope things work out for yah.

jcupertino

« Reply #157 on: Jan 30, 2009, 11:04 »
I agree w/ Boiler HP.

BoilerHP

« Reply #158 on: Jan 30, 2009, 11:08 »
Plus you never know who you will run across while testing, the Ops Director may stop by and take a peek at the potential crew (like was done when I tested). Of course there may be potential co-workers if you land the job, and I remember who I tested with and first impressions are important.

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
Re: question about poss test
« Reply #159 on: Jan 30, 2009, 07:55 »
Well, I have to take the test Saturday!  I'm excited and nervous, I will just keep studying and give it my best effort!

Yeah, good luck. I'm taking it Monday at Nine Mile Point. I was informed that everyone will be interviewed afterward, in two groups. The ones that have early flight departures will get the first group, the late departures are interviewed second. The HR person told me that 18 took the POSS last week, with 6 passing the test.

Ouch.

Offline cole256

• Light User
« Reply #160 on: Jan 31, 2009, 02:10 »
Well i just came back from my test.  I think i was well prepared thanks to this site and the great information on it.  I'm just worried about one part of the test, and that's the first one we took the short math one.  It had 18 questions that had to be done in 7 minutes.  I just finished 12 or 13 of them.  I think it was because I was so nervous.  It had me shook since that was the first part of the test and I didn't do what I wanted to do on it.  But I shook it off and I finished everything else on the test but tables and graphs and the long math.  I was only short 4 or 5 on table and graphs.  The long math I finished around 14 on the conversions; all of the algebra; and around 10 or 11 word problems.  What do you guys think??  Do you think there is a chance I passed even though I only finished 12-13 of 18 on the first section??  It was a combined test they said what sections is for mass and what are for poss? 

BoilerHP

« Reply #161 on: Jan 31, 2009, 02:17 »
Sounds like you have a very high potential. From what I know the "short" math is for the MASS. I would think that this is considered a separate test and would have no affect on the POSS portion. Best of luck!

Offline cole256

• Light User
« Reply #162 on: Jan 31, 2009, 02:44 »
If that would be the case I would be so happy.  Because on the second and longer math section I was able to answer more because I remembered some from the first and I had got into a groove by then.  Man they said it would be 8 to 10 weeks before the results come back!!  I read some peoples posts where it seemed like they received their results back the next day!

BoilerHP

« Reply #163 on: Jan 31, 2009, 02:56 »
I got my results about 2-3 days after the test. I have yet to hear about an offer, last update I received was on Monday; that no choices had been made. To boot, the HR person that I was talking to had his last day on Thursday so I am pretty in the dark :(
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2009, 04:47 by BoilerHP »

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
« Reply #164 on: Jan 31, 2009, 04:33 »
If that would be the case I would be so happy.  Because on the second and longer math section I was able to answer more because I remembered some from the first and I had got into a groove by then.  Man they said it would be 8 to 10 weeks before the results come back!!  I read some peoples posts where it seemed like they received their results back the next day!

I guess that's true. I was talking to a guy who is at Wolf Creek about my upcoming POSS on Monday. He said they usually have some kind of way to tell right away if you passed the test, but that it's not official until it's been sent off to whomever grades these things. Right now the thing that's making me nervous is the interview portion, not the test. :)

jcupertino

« Reply #165 on: Jan 31, 2009, 05:43 »
They send the tests off to EEI in Washtington DC to be graded.  Most companies receive their results back from EEI in 48 hours. 

Offline tigger

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #166 on: Feb 01, 2009, 04:20 »
The TVA equivalent to an AS is 60 hours in sciences. If you have that, they will consider you even if the degree is not complete. From the list of classes that you listed, you were well on your way to a science related degree. That is a plus in your corner. The POSS test, if you for some reason didn't pass the nuclear portion this time, remember this. They grade based on the number of questions answer and the amount of those that are correct. If you don't know the answer SKIP IT! They are looking for a percentage of questions answered. If you get the majoirty of them answered and 90% of those are correct, you should be fine.
On hiring into OPS. Some people have said it took two years to get a call to interview. Some have said they interviewed 3 or 4 times before being offered a job. On one occasion I saw a person test, interview and be hired into the SGPO class in 6 weeks.
If you want to work at TVA there are a couple things you can do to help yourself. Go back to school while waiting to hear. Or, go to the Laborer's Union and join. Get your face seen around the plant, show that you want the job, you will work hard, and be relible. Get to know the people in the department you want to work in. Do not try to sell yourself off to them. If someone mentions that a job opening is coming, let a comment in there that you will be applying for it. And let it go.
These are just suggestions. I wish you the best of luck.

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
« Reply #167 on: Feb 04, 2009, 05:10 »
I found out I passed the POSS on Monday. In the event they don't choose to hire my services, and I apply elsewhere, will this POSS count anywhere else I apply? Or do you take the POSS for every plant you are invited to interview for?

Terry Hines

ANPEO POSS Test and Knowledge Test at SONGS
« Reply #168 on: Feb 19, 2009, 05:36 »
Hi,

I am due to take the POSS Test and the knowledge test this Saturday.  I have the EEI study guides and practice tests for the POSS test but does anyone have any info or practice tests for the Knowledge Test.  They sent me to a site with 9 chapters to download but just wondering if anyone has taken this test recently.  Looks like most in the past have taken the POSS test first and then the knowledge test on another day.  My invite states I will be taking both tests on the same day and the testing will last 7 hours - any suggestions or insight to this "KNOWLEDGE" testing for SCE?

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
Re: ANPEO POSS Test and Knowledge Test at SONGS
« Reply #169 on: Feb 19, 2009, 07:46 »
I just passed the POSS. I didn't take a knowledge test, what is that exactly? They never mentioned anything about it.

heavymetal atom

« Reply #170 on: Feb 19, 2009, 08:08 »
I assume you're taking the knowledge test for Southern California Edison, right?  Most utilities don't have something equivalent to that, but from what I saw when looking at that job posting earlier this week it looks like it's just basic PWR related knowledge.  I would doubt that the test would cover anything not in those 9 different documents.  They cover basic math, physics, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics (as you probably already know).  I know it's a lot of material but it would probably be worth giving it at least a quick read through.  You could always skip the stuff that you're already comfortable with.  If something from those chapters seems incomplete or poorly explained then you could supplement a bit with a physics textbook or something similar, but like I said I don't think they're going to throw you a curveball by asking questions which aren't based on the material.         

BoilerHP

« Reply #171 on: Feb 19, 2009, 09:04 »
Tim,
You have an opportunity at SONGS? Hope all is well, and best of luck for all of yah.

~Adam

Terry Hines

« Reply #172 on: Feb 19, 2009, 11:26 »

DAGIFFY - Are you applying for the ANPEO position at SONGS?  Is it not necessary for me to be concerned about the Knowledge test on the first go around?  I am quite concerned about it because I have only today and tomorrow to get ready and to read all 9 chapters.  If I only need to be concerned about the POSS test right now that would help narrow my study efforts.  Any specifics you could offer regarding the ANPEO at Songs would be greatly appreciated.

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
« Reply #173 on: Feb 20, 2009, 09:01 »
No sorry I'm not applying at SONGS. I passed the POSS in NY recently and as far as I know there was no knowledge test. I am curious as to what it is.

Terry Hines

« Reply #174 on: Feb 20, 2009, 10:13 »
This is what the job posting states for the ANPEO at SONGS:

The successful candidate must pass the following pre-employment requirements: written battery test, written knowledge test, medical, and drug screening. Study guide for written knowledge test is available on http://westrain.org (select Documents, then select Pressurized Water Reactor: Generic Fundamentals).

It is basically 9 chapters of studying.  Problem is that I am trying to cram it in 2-3 day timeframe.  Guess I will just take the test tomorrow and see how it goes.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?