Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu POSS (Power Plant Operator Selection System) Test honeypot

Author Topic: POSS (Power Plant Operator Selection System) Test  (Read 486298 times)

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
Re: ANPEO POSS Test and Knowledge Test at SONGS
« Reply #175 on: Feb 20, 2009, 11:57 »
You will dominate the proceedings and lay waste to the grading curve.

Terry Hines

« Reply #176 on: Feb 20, 2009, 12:31 »
Thank you for the vote of confidence - appreciate that!

NukeNub

« Reply #177 on: Feb 20, 2009, 03:48 »
Good luck with the testing.

It could be worse, you could be taking a BWR fundy test.

B-Back
assWards
Reactor.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #178 on: Feb 20, 2009, 04:04 »
This is what the job posting states for the ANPEO at SONGS:

The successful candidate must pass the following pre-employment requirements: written battery test, written knowledge test, medical, and drug screening. Study guide for written knowledge test is available on http://westrain.org (select Documents, then select Pressurized Water Reactor: Generic Fundamentals).

It is basically 9 chapters of studying.  Problem is that I am trying to cram it in 2-3 day timeframe.  Guess I will just take the test tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks for the link to the study guides...looks like there would be some stuff there that might help people, even if they were going to other utilities...

Good luck on the tests!  :)

Modified to fix quote brackets
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2013, 11:43 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

nukeman10444

Re: question about poss test
« Reply #179 on: Mar 19, 2009, 08:23 »
Hey,

I hired on with TVA back in 07'.  I went throught the POSS and MASS crap and got all but Nuke Ops.  I wasn't the least bit upset though.  I was after I&C, not Ops.  Your chances of getting hired greatly improve if you apply for anything and just "get in".  After that, you can go through the program and move to where you want internally, happens every day.  Ops has been hiring AUO's left and right.  I saw 2-3 AUO classes go through the training center while I was there for my 18 mo. of instrumentation training.  The I&C program is actually a 3 1/2 yr program, 18 mo of that is in he training center, the rest is OJT.
    If you do get hired on, be ready to become a professional test taker.  Also be ready to take oral exams in front of a board on a regular basis.  The money is GOOD, but you will be out here a lot.  You know this im sure, seeing that your friends and mom work here. 
    Just to let you know, it took me over 6 mo. to get hired on.  It was the longest hiring process I have EVER been through.  Its all about dedication.  If you want it, make it happen.  Call people, bug people, make contacts.  I will tell you this; the job can be frusterating, with long hours, but this is probably the BEST place to work in this area.  People need power, especially clean power. Plus we are a 3 banger plant.  Can you say job security? ;D  If we could get rid of our INPO 4 status we would be sittin good.
    I went to UCLA, got my instrumentation degree there. They can help you a little.  Go see Ron Tayor or Richard Ferrara in the Industrial Maint. dept. Get to know some folks up there and maybe take a few classes, they are good references.  Hope I helped, I know how frusterating it can be to get on with TVA.  If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. 

Best of luck to ya!! 8)

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: question about poss test
« Reply #180 on: Mar 19, 2009, 10:51 »
I found out I passed the POSS on Monday. In the event they don't choose to hire my services, and I apply elsewhere, will this POSS count anywhere else I apply? Or do you take the POSS for every plant you are invited to interview for?

To back up what Jason said, it depends on the utility.  If the utility you took it at is say, Exelon, the test would probably be shared with any other Exelon site.  This would help just due to the sheer size of the company and the number of nuke sites that they operate.  If it's a single nuke site utility then it would be at the discretion of that utility.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Nutty

Re: Power Plant Operator Selection System Test - Help!
« Reply #181 on: Mar 20, 2009, 04:07 »
So, I took the Poss and Mass test for a company that I had applied at.  They decided to go with someone else.  Now I have another potential job that requirs taking the test.  Does anyone know if it is possible to get my scores for the test, and if so, how?

Thanks

heavymetal atom

« Reply #182 on: Mar 20, 2009, 10:26 »
So, I took the Poss and Mass test for a company that I had applied at.  They decided to go with someone else.  Now I have another potential job that requirs taking the test.  Does anyone know if it is possible to get my scores for the test, and if so, how?

Thanks

HoneyComb is right on the mark with those links.  Let me also say from personal experience that the transferring of scores varies quite a bit by utility.  Apparently many are very willing to transfer scores elsewhere.  On the other hand, I've actually had some trouble transferring my POSS scores outside of the company with which I took it, probably due to the fact that I'm still being considered for another position within the same utility.  Still the worst case scenario is that you merely have to bite the bullet and retake the POSS. 

So what do you need to do in order to get the ball rolling?  First off, you need to talk with someone in HR from the utility you're now applying to.  They will give you a release form to fill out which varies a bit by company, but is pretty standardized.  Fill it out and send it to the utility where you originally took the POSS.  If all goes well you'll save yourself 2 hours of filling in bubbles.  Good luck.

-Tim     
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2009, 10:29 by Heavymetal Atom »

leaveamessage

« Reply #183 on: Mar 20, 2009, 11:29 »
I just got the invite today to take the POSS. Im pretty excited, but I only have about 2 weeks to prepare. I have taken the practice tests, and they seem very easy to me... This worries me a bit because I've alway fought math. Did anyone else find the practice tests, and/or the actual POSS to be easy?

Also, what is the difference in the POSS and the AVSAB?

Thanks,

D

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #184 on: Mar 21, 2009, 09:19 »
I just got the invite today to take the POSS. Im pretty excited, but I only have about 2 weeks to prepare. I have taken the practice tests, and they seem very easy to me... This worries me a bit because I've alway fought math. Did anyone else find the practice tests, and/or the actual POSS to be easy?

Also, what is the difference in the POSS and the AVSAB?

Thanks,

D

Are you timing yourself as you take the practice tests?  There's nothing difficult about most of the questions (esp. the math), but completing all of them in the time allotted tends to be a challenge.
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2009, 09:06 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

hayden

passed poss test last year - is it still valid?
« Reply #185 on: Mar 27, 2009, 02:06 »
I took the poss test with Entergy just over a year ago and was recommended. I reapplied for a operator job but I do not know if my recommended status is still valid. Any ideas how long the results will be good? Thanks!

heavymetal atom

Re: Math On The POSS Test!!!
« Reply #186 on: Apr 23, 2009, 11:38 »
That's a pretty acurate representation of the test Zwink.  One thing to keep in mind for the real one is that the Math section does contain more than just conversions.  The section will have 46 questions and only 17 will be conversions.  The rest will be a combination of basic algebra and word problems.  The algebra will look something like these: 3/X = 6/7 , 14 + 3x = 31 , etc.  Nothing difficult at all, but time can still be an issue.  Good luck on the real thing and keep us posted regarding your results.

-Tim 
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2009, 11:40 by Heavymetal Atom »

Fossil

Geometry on POSS?
« Reply #187 on: Apr 25, 2009, 10:35 »
Can any of you remember, when you took the POSS test, was there simple geometry on the math portion? Such as calculating volume, area, or circumference.

Offline vagabond

• Light User
Re: Geometry on POSS?
« Reply #188 on: Apr 25, 2009, 05:06 »
There definitely was real simple geometry.  It might have been only 2 of the 3 you mentioned.  The appropriate equations were supplied with the test, but it doesn't hurt knowing them.  Those questions made up a small portion, maybe 3-5, of the total questions.  Have you taken the practice tests?  Are you troubled by the possibility of them being on the test?
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Fossil

« Reply #189 on: Apr 25, 2009, 05:42 »
Yeah, I have taken the practice ones, but I have also taken the real one to get into the fossil plant that I am currently at. There was more than just conversions like the practice test has. I just could not remember, once past the conversions, if there was geometry or not. I am just trying to study my butt off to score high enough for a nuke plant. I am trying to touch on everything that I may encounter. This has been a goal of mine since shortly after I started as an Aux. Operator at a fossil plant. I REALLY want to make the switch. :)

zwink

Anyone know of more than 1 practice POSS?
« Reply #190 on: Apr 26, 2009, 09:06 »
All the links I have seen for POSS practice tests link to that EEi.org site, and every single one was the same test:  July 2004.  Does anyone have a link to a practice POSS that is not from July 2004?  I'd love to take one more before I take the real thing Tuesday.

Thanks

heavymetal atom

« Reply #191 on: Apr 27, 2009, 02:21 »
Vagabond is basically spot on.  Know these and you're golden for the 3-5 "geometry" questions:

Area circle = Pi R2
Circumference circle = 2Pi R (or Pi d)
Area triangle = 1/2bh

To be honest they really are that simple.  It's not a geometry test, it's a can you crunch 46 numbers in 17 minutes test.

-Tim
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2009, 05:31 by Heavymetal Atom »

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
« Reply #192 on: Apr 27, 2009, 04:11 »
Circumference circle = Pi R

Isn't that 2*pi*R?

Bham_Dave

Re: Anyone know of more than 1 practice POSS?
« Reply #193 on: Apr 28, 2009, 01:49 »
I only found one practice test online myself. Mind if I ask what company and position your interviewing with. Seems every company has a different time line for testing and interviewing. Nice that you get to do it all in one trip.

zwink

POSS De"Myst"ified
« Reply #194 on: Apr 28, 2009, 12:45 »
I've read about 100 different posts on the POSS and how it may or may not be graded, calculated, tabulated, stipulated, or anything else :p  But I can tell you how it works at VC Summer since I just took it...

(in the order we had to take the sections)

Math: 46 problems, 13 minutes; conversions, short algebra, word problems
The test giver told us that wrong answers in this section count against you, and that your total correct number (correct - missed) will be multiplied by 2.  I think she said something like you only need 10 correct in this section.  I probably got 36 or so... the time is insane on this one. If you can complete this section in the allotted time, you probably need to go design rockets. The questions are not hard, the timing is. I left the word problems for last because they suck.  Recommend doing the easy conversions, the easy algebra, the harder conversions, the harder algebra, then moving to word. 

Assembly:  20 problems, 10 minutes
Wrong answers do NOT count against you on this section, and the total correct is multiplied by 4  (as opposed to 2 in the math section) because it is considered the most difficult section. I didn't get to 1/20 of them... doh. I will say that many of them were more difficult than the practice test.  How exactly I cannot say, I think mainly that the answer selections were more similar than dissimilar so it took longer to narrow down the correct one.

Mechanical Reasoning:  40 questions, 20 minutes (I think)
She didn't say about the multiplier or whether these count against you, but I am assuming incorrect answers do.  You cannot really study for this, its either junk you can or cannot solve based on simple physics, life, mechanical knowledge, or imbued brilliance. lol. I will say there was one mechanical one I just couldn't figure out... because the drawing was confusing. It looked like a 4 year old etched two leavers and a blob in between :p

Tables:  60 questions, 5 minutes (I think it was 5)
I answered them all (most likely correctly).  I think these count 1 point each and wrong answers do hurt you. However, if you are a fast table reader, this gets you "freebie" points.  Such an easy section in my opinion.
Graphs:  20 questions, 3 minutes (I think...)
Same thing as above, takes a bit longer to derive answers because they lines are all the same frickin color and width so even when you find the line on the graph, you have to trace it back to the letter.  Most graphs aren't like that in the real world...

Reading comp:  36 questions, 30 minutes or so
If you can read the newspaper, you can do this.  Pretty sure there were 5 articles and about 6-8 questions on each.  I finished 10 minutes early, but your success on this test will probably be a function of your reading speed. Make sure you read the choices carefully, some of them are a "trick" (like inverting the wording on something you just read which inverts the answer in some cases). 

The employer tallies up your total scores on all COMBINED sections, and if you fall within a certain range for operations, you pass.  She didn't say what that was.  She did say ops had to get higher than some other jobs.  I should find out later today how I did, optimistic for now :p
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2009, 01:47 by zwink »

heavymetal atom

Re: POSS De"Myst"ified
« Reply #195 on: Apr 28, 2009, 01:55 »

Tables:  60 questions, 5 minutes (I think it was 5)
I answered them all (most likely correctly).  I think these count 1 point each and wrong answers do hurt you. However, if you are a fast table reader, this gets you "freebie" points.  Such an easy section in my opinion.
Graphs:  20 questions, 3 minutes (I think...)
Same thing as above, takes a bit longer to derive answers because they lines are all the same frickin color and width so even when you find the line on the graph, you have to trace it back to the letter.  Most graphs aren't like that in the real world...

You're right most graphs are not like that in the real world.  One of the more annoying parts of the test in my opinion.

Math: 46 problems, 13 minutes; 20 conversions, 20 short algebra, 20 word problems
The test giver told us that wrong answers in this section count against you, and that your total correct number (correct - missed) will be multiplied by 2.  I think she said something like you only need 10 correct in this section.  I probably got 36 or so... the time is insane on this one. If you can complete this section in the allotted time, you probably need to go design rockets. The questions are not hard, the timing is. I left the word problems for last because they suck.  Recommend doing the easy conversions, the easy algebra, the harder conversions, the harder algebra, then moving to word. 

I'm not sure that this section is as tough as you're making out.  I finished the entire section with 20-30 seconds to spare, but I don't plan on designing rockets any time soon. (We did get 17 minutes for the 46 problems though)  I'm fairly shocked that she told you that you only needed 10 correct to pass the section.  Seems very low to me.  Still it's nice that your proctor was so forthcoming with explanation regarding the scoring specifics.  Sounds like she gave you A LOT of information about when wrong answers count against you, how many correct answers you needed to pass sections, multipliers, etc. 

I'm sure many future test takers will find this information valuable, although it may be helpful to note that POSS grading policy may vary a bit between companies.  I know that the scores required to be recommended for nuclear ops do in fact vary between utilities, although I'm not sure if the actual method of scoring does.  Obviously SCANA does it this way so that's good to know.  Best of luck with your results.  Keep us posted.

-Tim           
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2009, 02:02 by Heavymetal Atom »

Offline vagabond

• Light User
« Reply #196 on: Apr 28, 2009, 09:14 »
I'm fairly shocked that she told you that you only needed 10 correct to pass the section.  Seems very low to me. ...

I agree with this.  This could be partially correct though.  You may only need 10 correct, but you probably need to answer a certain amount before it will count.  People have stated this before, and it makes sense.  Computing ability and response time seem like important characteristics that are desired.  If they only need 10 correct answer out of 46 there would be a lot more people passing I believe.
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

zwink

« Reply #197 on: Apr 28, 2009, 10:05 »
Actually we may have had 17 minutes on the math, probably a mistake on my part.  Regardless, mad props on finishing that section... I'm going to go out on a limb and doubt many people do that. You should really look into rocket assembly (though maybe not under this president, doubt hes throwing much $$ to NASA).

I actually hadn't seen most of that "type" of (easy) math in 10 years, and I found myself wasting time on silly things like finding these asinine conversions out of the reference chart.  I'd have been better off with differential calculus problems.   Anywho, I did get a call that I passed today -- they don't give the score, just a pass / fail.  Interviews are next week; they got delayed a bit for some internal reason. 

I found it interesting that I was the only person there for testing with no prior military (specifically Navy) experience... so did they :)

heavymetal atom

« Reply #198 on: Apr 30, 2009, 06:45 »
Nice job on the POSS.  Congrats.  Good luck with your upcoming interview.  As I'm sure you know there is a bunch of good interview advice buried in various threads here.  Don't let all those navy nukes scare you.  ;)  Sounds to me like they need some diversity, and you just might be their man. 

-Tim

zwink

« Reply #199 on: Apr 30, 2009, 08:14 »
Thanks!  Will let you know.  They got tons of AO slots open, so maybe I'll get 'lucky' :p

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?