Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu POSS (Power Plant Operator Selection System) Test honeypot

Author Topic: POSS (Power Plant Operator Selection System) Test  (Read 486340 times)

connedale

Re: POSS De"Myst"ified
« Reply #200 on: May 06, 2009, 10:20 »
Is the unit table the same on both practice test and real test?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #201 on: May 06, 2009, 11:59 »
Is the unit table the same on both practice test and real test?

don't ....memorize...the....unit... table

part of the test is thinking on the fly. That's why it's timed.

heavymetal atom

« Reply #202 on: May 07, 2009, 11:25 »
don't ....memorize...the....unit... table

part of the test is thinking on the fly. That's why it's timed.

The fact that the test is timed and that time is very limited seems to be a good rationale for memorizing as much as possible beforehand.  The unit table on the real thing is different than the one on the practice exam, but there is some overlap between the two.  Memorization of the practice table plus a handful of other related conversions will almost certainly save you 30 seconds to a minute (it did for me).  I'm the type of person that thinks I can never be too prepared for something, but you'll have to decide whether or not it's worth the effort for you.         

-Tim     

Offline vagabond

• Light User
« Reply #203 on: May 08, 2009, 01:21 »
I'm the type of person that thinks I can never be too prepared for something, but you'll have to decide whether or not it's worth the effort for you.              

This! 

Seriously, why wouldn't you memorize?  It's timed, and every second matters.  Since I memorized the conversions I had extra time to check my work, twiddle my thumbs, and look around to see that people were still working while I was waiting impatiently.  The first time I took the test I didn't memorize the conversions and didn't complete all the questions. 

Just because the info is supplied on the test, and the testing is for thinking on the fly doesn't mean that you shouldn't come in fully prepared.  A few sayings come to mind.....

Work smarter, not harder!
If you ain't cheating you ain't trying  =P 

The last one is more joking of course though.  Living by the first is essential in my opinion.

Like Tim said, the practice conversions aren't the same as what's on the test.  I compiled a list of all volumetric, distance, area, etc. conversions.  A lot of them I have never used nor heard of, but many were on the test.  I assume they do this so you are less familiar with the units so they test your ability to reference and calculate.  Go in with a full arsenal of weapons to destroy the test!!
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

nyegards@gmail.com

Ex-navy nuke taking POSS
« Reply #204 on: May 24, 2009, 09:18 »
Hi all.  This is my first post.  I am an ex-navy nuke ET.  I only did 5 years active duty due to medical reasons.  I will have my bachelor's in Nuclear Engineering Technology from TESC in september.  I am taking the POSS and doing an interview on May 27th at Arkansas Nuclear One with Entergy about an Auxiliary Operator position.  Any advice you have to offer about the test or interview would be much appreciated.  Also, with my experience, how likely does anyone think it is that I would be offered the job assuming my test and interviews go well?  Also, how long after my interview should it take before I hear something back from them about the job?  Thanks for any input you have.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
Re: Ex-navy nuke taking POSS
« Reply #206 on: May 24, 2009, 12:01 »
ANO likes Navy nucs.  They have had some good ones that were ET's so that will not be a negative. However you should emphasize mechanical aptitude. willingness to work and get dirty.  The NLO position is more aligned with a MM watch.  If you are going to talk about your future degree make sure you are taking the final classes to get the degree.

nyegards@gmail.com

« Reply #207 on: May 24, 2009, 12:32 »
thanks for the input, jams.  i have completed all courses for my degree and i have applied for graduation.  i just havent received the degree yet b/c the earliest graduation date available is in september.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #208 on: May 24, 2009, 12:38 »
Off-topic posts have been removed. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #209 on: May 24, 2009, 07:16 »
thanks for the input, jams.  i have completed all courses for my degree and i have applied for graduation.  i just haven't received the degree yet b/c the earliest graduation date available is in september.

Then good luck, also remember to use proper sentence structure on our emails and correspondence.

Fermi2

« Reply #210 on: May 24, 2009, 08:36 »
CAPITALIZE!!

connedale

« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2009, 09:59 »
I am also taking the POSS on this date at ANO.  However, I have not been notified about a coinciding interview.  Is this because you are out of state?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #212 on: May 25, 2009, 01:23 »
Good luck and keep us posted! If you haven't done it yet, and if its not too late, google STAR interviewing technique.

Justin

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #213 on: May 25, 2009, 01:25 »
I am also taking the POSS on this date at ANO.  However, I have not been notified about a coinciding interview.  Is this because you are out of state?

Be prepared for the interview, just to be safe. If they do it similar to the two places I have been, you will all take the POSS together and those that pass, will be invited to interview right then. Those that do not, will be sent on their way.

Justin

PS For any ex Navy nuke taking the POSS, don't assume it is an automatic pass. You NEED to review and take the practice exams that are out there.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 01:27 by JustinHEMI »

nyegards@gmail.com

« Reply #214 on: May 25, 2009, 01:48 »
I am taking the POSS and doing an interview on the same day.  I think this is because I am coming from out of state.  I have taken the only practice test I can find online.  If anyone knows of any others, please inform me.  When should I expect to find out my test scores and if I got the job?  Also, how many job openings does anyone think they have for this position?  Thanks for the help.

connedale

« Reply #215 on: May 25, 2009, 03:22 »
There are two classes.  I cannot remember the exact number, but there are between 25 and 30 openings.

nyegards@gmail.com

« Reply #216 on: May 27, 2009, 11:47 »
I just finished taking the POSS at ANO.  I finished the math, reading, and mechanical portions.  I answered 18 out of 20 of the assembly questions.  On the tables and graphs I finished 55 out of 60 on the first portion, and all of the second portion.  I feel pretty confident about it.  Hopefully I will find out soon how I did.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #217 on: May 27, 2009, 07:19 »
Congrats, keep us posted!

Justin

connedale

« Reply #218 on: May 27, 2009, 09:35 »
Are tables and graphs counted as one score?

I did good with the tables, but got about 75% on the graphs.  This is my only concern on the test.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 11:18 by connedale »

Fermi2

« Reply #219 on: May 27, 2009, 09:47 »
I just finished taking the POSS at ANO.  I finished the math, reading, and mechanical portions.  I answered 18 out of 20 of the assembly questions.  On the tables and graphs I finished 55 out of 60 on the first portion, and all of the second portion.  I feel pretty confident about it.  Hopefully I will find out soon how I did.

You should do fine.

nyegards@gmail.com

« Reply #220 on: Jun 14, 2009, 06:28 »
A few days ago I got a letter from Entergy saying I was not recommended  for the AO job as a result of my POSS score.  The next day I got a letter from them saying I was recommended for the position as a result of my POSS score.  I'm not sure why this would happen.  Does anybody have any insight?  I am going to call them tomorrow to hopefully find out what is going on.  Thanks for your input.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #221 on: Jun 14, 2009, 06:34 »
Does anybody have any insight?  I am going to call them tomorrow to hopefully find out what is going on.  Thanks for your input.

Can't spell H opeless dayshifte R without HR.... they often get things confused.

connedale

« Reply #222 on: Jun 14, 2009, 08:23 »
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2009, 08:25 by connedale »

connedale

« Reply #223 on: Jun 18, 2009, 10:41 »
If anyone would like to study ASVAB prep books for the POSS, PM me and I will send some to you.  I have kept them clean and mostly unmarked.  All I ask is that when you are done, give them to another guy here on nukeworker forums.

Offline JenSHO

• Light User
Re: Power Plant Operator Selection System Test - Help!
« Reply #224 on: Sep 25, 2009, 06:22 »
On the EEI practice test that I've been looking at doesn't seem to have an algebra problems or word problems like I'm seeing here on this board that it has some.  Can anyone point me to a practice test that is like the real thing?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?