Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu POSS (Power Plant Operator Selection System) Test honeypot

Author Topic: POSS (Power Plant Operator Selection System) Test  (Read 486303 times)

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
Re: Power Plant Operator Selection System Test - Help!
« Reply #225 on: Sep 26, 2009, 02:26 »
The only practice tests I have ever seen come from the EEI links on most energy companies web pages.

http://www.exeloncorp.com/careers/practice_test_study_guides/

Perhaps the thread also discussed the Basic Math and Science Test (BMST) that Exelon Operators must pass as well as the POSS.

Jason

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Power Plant Operator Selection System Test - Help!
« Reply #226 on: Sep 29, 2009, 06:28 »
as is Indy. Downtown Indy is AWESOME, take some time to visit.

Mike, I knew there was something I liked about you, I finally found out what it is. ;)

But if you're really reccomending sightseeing in the circle city, don't forget the World Capitol of Racing ©, located in Speedway Indiana.  A must see for any race fan, and well worth a visit for those deluded souls who are not race fans.
Democracy is 4 wolves and 1 sheep
voting on what's for dinner.

Liberty is the sheep with a .357 magnum
telling the wolves where to stick it.

frankcom

Where can I pass the POSS test?
« Reply #227 on: Oct 21, 2009, 11:34 »
Hallo together,

I’m Frank from Germany and I will immigrate to America as fast as possible.
My profession is power plant operator in a fossil fuel power plant and
I’m looking for a job in the USA.
This forum is very good for me and I found a lot of information.
Very important for me is the P.O.S.S. test and I have a question.
Where can I pass the test? Is the test generally accepted around America?
I prefer to settle on the west coast and Colorado but I could make the test
on the east coast, that is not so far from Germany.

Thank you for your answer.
Frank

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Where can I pass the POSS test?
« Reply #228 on: Oct 21, 2009, 01:02 »
Unfortunately it is not that easy. You do not take the test until you are being considered for a job and then the utility that is considering you will give you the test, prior to a formal interview. If you pass the test, you will probably get the interview... fail and you won't. If you pass the test at one utility and do not get the job, the next utility will make you take the test again (and pass it) before they will interview you. Each utility administers and grades their own tests.

Good luck and welcome to Nukeworker.com
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Where can I pass the POSS test?
« Reply #229 on: Oct 21, 2009, 01:14 »
I prefer to settle on the west coast and Colorado but I could make the test
on the east coast, that is not so far from Germany.

Thank you for your answer.
Frank

Frank,
   There are several utilities with fossil plants on the West Coast and Colorado (which also has a couple largely German communities) that hire periodically. PM me with any questions.

Dave

rockoil

POSS Test
« Reply #230 on: Nov 22, 2009, 11:04 »
I got my POSS test result yesterday and I did not pass. I'm crushed! Any advice and help would be extremely appreciated. Thank you.

B.PRESGROVE

Re: POSS Test
« Reply #231 on: Nov 23, 2009, 11:49 »
did you study the practice tests?  did you answer the questions you knew and went back to the ones you didnt and didnt answer the ones you didnt know?  were you very nervous?  did you complete at least half of the questions in each section before time was up? 

You can take it again I think in a few months, so you have some time to prepare for when they offer it again.  Dont be upset with yourself though, it is made to be a little nerve wrecking.  Some of the fellas on this site have had to take it more than once so keep your chin up. 

I have also recently learned this test has an extremely high failure rate, for what reasons I dont fully understand yet.  I know when I took the test 300 folks took the test and only 24 passed.  You can do it though.

rockoil

« Reply #232 on: Nov 24, 2009, 04:06 »
I'm going to follow up on some of the things I didn't do after reading your reply. Thank you very much for the encouragement! You must be a big Penn State fan?

Whitefield

CBEST TEST
« Reply #233 on: Nov 25, 2009, 03:37 »
If you are preparing for any if you are searching for any study material than you go for this site CBEST TEST where you can get material for almost most of the tests and exams
Hope this information is beneficial, Stay safe, Cheers
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2009, 05:09 by Whitefield »

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #234 on: Nov 25, 2009, 09:22 »
Yah whitefield is right bout that, use the study tab at the top of the page and find things on the test.  We are glad to be of service around here since we have all been there before, and yes I am a huge Penn State fan.

rockoil

« Reply #235 on: Nov 29, 2009, 07:12 »
Thanks Whitefield! I'm going to check it out know. Take Care.

rockoil

« Reply #236 on: Nov 29, 2009, 07:19 »
Thank you B.PRESGROVE! I appreciate all of the kindness here. Before Saturday I had Penn St. ranked #11. My favorite Penn St. players were Jack Ham and Franco Harris.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2009, 07:21 by rockoil »

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #237 on: Nov 29, 2009, 07:25 »
Yah Im hoping for a good bowl game, but we will see.  Alot of good teams out there vying for a bowl right now.  Yah Harris is one of my all time favs, but I really like Clark the QB I honestly think he should be in the running for the Heisman.

pg1

« Reply #238 on: Nov 30, 2009, 04:36 »
Yeah I got my results back for the MASS/POSS test back a few days ago and the automation said that I did not meet the minimum requirements.  I really wanted to gain some more info about how i did, but when I called the HR department the person told me that I had passed the MASS part, but not the POSS part.  That really confuses me since it was all one test.  I guess the grading for each is different, but I really don't know.  Any info would be much appreciated.

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #239 on: Nov 30, 2009, 05:11 »
Yah there are two different sections of the test.  When I first took the test it was for POSS/MASS and the computer said I passed the POSS but failed the MASS, but when I called they said I passed both.  Didnt help though still didnt get an interview.

jowlman

« Reply #240 on: Nov 30, 2009, 05:31 »
Yes it is one test but different sections are graded for different fields, mechanical, electrical and instrument maintenance, fossil, hydro and nuclear operations. At least that is how it is broken down for TVA.

Offline shehane

• Moderate User
  • You never know, do you?
« Reply #241 on: Dec 01, 2009, 02:14 »
There is the POSS/MASS and a seperate Tech test (can't remember the name).  I had to take both sets for TVA and the tech test for Southern Power.  I got my results for the POSS/MASS for TVA and got an offer for operator.  I past the Tech test but never saw any results.  I got an offer for RP and took that spot at Sequoyah.  All the test were almost identical including ones I took in the past for Entergy and Commonwealth Edison (awhile back).
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be! Dirk Gently

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #242 on: Dec 26, 2009, 12:37 »
Studying for the POSS isn't going to help a whole lot, if at all.

Just go back and look at some math, and algebra based physics... 

Maybe 'study' isn't the right word for how to best prepare for the POSS, but a person had better 'practice' hard for it (two weeks minimum), or they won't be tuned up enough to finish all the sections (esp. math).

jmo
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Steph0349

• Lurker
Poss Test
« Reply #243 on: Feb 03, 2010, 01:31 »
Hello All,

I am taking the POSS test in a few days. I have read some of the other discussions, is it correct that it is quality over quantity? I know that I am going to struggle on the math section, and I would feel better knowing that I do not have to complete them ALL. Any other tips for the Poss test? Thank you soo much! I appreciate it.

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
Re: Poss Test
« Reply #244 on: Feb 03, 2010, 01:44 »
First, to immediately answer your question:
Honeycomb,

If you're going for the EEI P.O.S.S. test then you must practice taking the test.  I have seen brialliant people fail this test.  Search this message board for POSS or P.O.S.S. for guidance.

There are 7-8 modules that are timed.  Some you'll finish some you will not.  Tips for success...

1. Make sure answers you give are correct.
2. You must have 11 correct answers per module (each utility picks a different number and 11 is the highest I've heard of.  I also heard 15 is the max score per module)

3. The last module is math conversions and you only have 7 minutes to get your 11 right answers.  A legend is provided but it'll help if you have some (all) of the conversions memorized.
4. There is a module on print reading (follow the line).  Use a straight edge like half of your scratch paper or break the pencil they gave you in half.

Items 3 and 4 are what gives most people trouble.  I'm not sure if TVA will give this exam but most (all?) utilities give it and is an INPO standard expectation.  If you fail any of the modules you probably won't make the interview list.  Also, I'm not sure how the scores change on selecting incorrect answers.  I've taken it twice and gave the same advice as above to others who have taken it and passed.  I made sure all answers I chose were correct.

Here's the practice exam...

http://www.progress-energy.com/aboutus/employment/eei/index.asp

Next, did you even read the post at the top that says : Power Plant Operator Selection System Test - Help!

If not, here's the link: http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5224.0.html

Use the search function, read the Stickies, use decent written English, and all should be OK.

Good luck on the test, and God Bless.
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010, 02:07 by Nuclear NASCAR »
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

mtr1514

« Reply #245 on: Feb 03, 2010, 02:58 »
Hi,

Did you take the EEI practice tests?  So your in the ballpark and know what its like?  Well the actual test is more challenging than the practice tests.  And it is quality over quantity.  So you have to have the strategy of doing the easy problems first and coming back to the harder ones later.  Dont guess because the wrong answers count against you. 

Also the math test given on the POSS varies.  Some utilities give the short or long test.  The short test has only conversions and a 7 minute time limit.  Your lucky if you get that one.  I ended up getting the long test.  Three sections consisting of conversion, basic algebra, and word problems. 

Basically what I recommend is what I'm doing now.  Practice.  Most people taking the test can probably get a 100% given enough time to take it.  But the short time limits is what makes it so challenging.  And if your not fresh out of high school or college, your brain can stand to be re-trained to think faster by practicing.  The reading comprehension and mechanical aptitude sections were the two sections that had the most time to spare.  Also go through the entire forum posts on POSS testing.  If you feel your weak on any of the five sections, go through some workbooks recommended on this site and buff up.

Hope this helps.

Offline Steph0349

• Lurker
« Reply #246 on: Feb 03, 2010, 03:35 »
Thank you all for your help and tips! I greatly appreciate it. I will let you know how I do! Thanks again!!!!

Offline VIPBOY7

• Very Lite User
POSS TEST
« Reply #247 on: Mar 26, 2010, 05:58 »
Hey guys. I am taking the POSS exam in a week. I will start studying from the ASVAB. I do know that not all sections from the ASVAB will be on the exam though. Which ones from the ASVAB are similar to exam? I see Arithmetic Reasoning and that seems pretty familiar to practice exam but im not sure. Any help please? Thanks.

mtr1514

Re: POSS TEST
« Reply #248 on: Mar 26, 2010, 06:03 »
Dig a little deeper.  Look at the practice exams on the EEI website.  And before you ask where that is, check out the other POSS threads.

Have a good day and good luck!

Offline VIPBOY7

• Very Lite User
Re: POSS TEST
« Reply #249 on: Mar 26, 2010, 06:04 »
There is also a section called Mechanical Comprehension but its all definitions pretty much. From the practice exam I figure that the Mechanical Section will be figures and you just have to say which letter rotates or something like that. Am I right about that?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?