Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu POSS (Power Plant Operator Selection System) Test honeypot

Author Topic: POSS (Power Plant Operator Selection System) Test  (Read 486365 times)

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: POSS (Power Plant Operator Selection System) Test
« Reply #350 on: Mar 19, 2015, 10:26 »
Well, I received the results today...

I passed!  What a relief!  ;D ;D Now to wait and see if I get an offer or not.  My interview went extremely well, so I'm hoping that translates to an offer.

As a side note, I'd like to give a huge thanks to the users and the admins at nukeworker.  There are a lot of good resources here, and I may not have made it beyond the POSS had it not been for this forum. 

Congrats  +K

newbie0871

« Reply #351 on: Jun 07, 2015, 05:26 »
Kinda New to the forums and just wandering anybody in the Power Plant operator field and if they passed the POSS test since I see the posting is around 2005?
Is anybody currently working in the coal field also?
I recently took a certificate and curious how hard and success rate of people getting into this job.

Thanks

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #352 on: Jun 07, 2015, 05:58 »
1 Kinda New to the forums and just wandering anybody in the Power Plant operator field and if they passed the POSS test since I see the posting is around 2005?

2 Is anybody currently working in the coal field also?

3 I recently took a certificate and curious how hard and success rate of people getting into this job.

1. The most recent posting of a passing POSS test taker was 3/18/2015.

2. This is not AnthraciteWorker.com

3. Which certificate? Which job? Can you be a little more specific?

newbie0871

« Reply #353 on: Jun 07, 2015, 07:11 »
I got a steam plant certificate.

Looking into the coal fire plants and the POSS test the information on the site looks great so far

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #354 on: Jun 07, 2015, 07:18 »
2. This is not AnthraciteWorker.com

Apparently there is at least one 'redundant' poster that thinks it is...
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Chimera

« Reply #355 on: Jun 07, 2015, 07:36 »
Apparently there is at least one 'redundant' poster that thinks it is...

Come on, man . . . there just aren't that many sites that have the wealth of information that can be easily found on this site.  A POSS test is a POSS test regardless of the plant that's administering it.

newbie0871

« Reply #356 on: Jun 07, 2015, 07:44 »
I might have to get something like
Arco Mechanical Aptitude and Spatial Relations Tests, Fifth Edition

I just want to be successful and willing to put the hard work in to see the goal.

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #357 on: Jun 08, 2015, 06:28 »
I got a steam plant certificate.

Looking into the coal fire plants and the POSS test the information on the site looks great so far

What school did you go to?

Offline Timo Gray

• Lurker
« Reply #358 on: Oct 08, 2015, 02:41 »
First time poster, although I lurked in the forums for a few months before this. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has shared information and encouragement regarding the POSS test. I took the test for the first time last Friday and found out I passed on Monday. The tips I read on this site were very helpful and the practice tests people linked were perfect for studying. You guys rock!

Offline AlphaBeta

• Lurker
« Reply #359 on: Feb 03, 2016, 11:11 »
Like some others, this is my first time posting to this site. I just wanted to thank all the members of this site who shared valuable information, tips, and tricks about the POSS and BMST. Although I probably would have been fine just going over the EEI practice test given, reading everyone's experiences took the edge off and got me into a good mental state when I was taking it. I was able to get recommended on both the POSS and BMST test for an equipment operator at Exelon. Had an interview scheduled day after POSS/BMST duo so hopefully that went well, just found out today I passed the BMST. :D

Just wanted to thank you all again!

Offline ratrider

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #360 on: Mar 11, 2017, 09:46 »
Another first time poster here.  I took the POSS yesterday morning for an equipment operator position at Exelon Braidwood.  After returning from a 2 hour break we learned who was recommended on the POSS and would be taking the BMST.  I just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this topic.  The most important thing I learned was how to manage my time, particularly on the math usage section of the POSS.  I had 2 weeks to prepare and I just took a bunch of timed ASVAB practice tests.  I find out if I am recommended on the BMST in 1-2 weeks.

I have been a design engineer for various steel manufacturers since I graduated college with a B.F.A. in Industrial Design 8 years ago.  I am excited to enter a career where I will not be glued to a computer 80 percent of the time.

Offline namebau

• Lurker
« Reply #361 on: May 26, 2017, 11:10 »
First time posting here. Just want to give y'all some updated information on the POSS test. Yesterday I took the POSS test for Entergy for the Nuclear Auxiliary Operator position. On the test it had 4 sections. Figural reasoning, Mechanical Concepts, Reading Comprehension, and Mathematical Usage. The real test was a little bit more complex that the practice test. If you study the practice test and the concepts behind the answers you will be fine! The only thing I studied were the practice test and the pulleys and levers chapter of the Baron's Mechanical Aptitude book.

Based on my observation the POSS test is all about accuracy. It does not matter if you finish each section or not. Honestly, if you only answer at least half 60-75 percent questions in each section I am almost certain that you will past. Below is a break down of the questions I answered in each section.

Figural Reasoning= 18/22
Reading Comprehension= 34/36
Mechanical Concepts=39/44
Mathematical Usage=26/48

Today I received an email that I was POSS recommended! Hopefully they will call me in for an interview. It took them exactly 1 day to get my results back. My advice to anyone taking the POSS test is to  listen to the advice from the people in this forum. Without their advice I really don't think that I would have known how to take the test. Remember the key to passing the POSS is knowing HOW TO TAKE THE TEST. Whatever you do, DO NOT GUESS. It will count against you. 

Offline koonce.jordan

• Lurker
« Reply #362 on: Aug 25, 2017, 09:01 »
So does anyone know how long you have to wait to take the POSS again if you fail it?  I just took it and I'm honestly freaked out a little bit.  I've seen this 11 questions right per module thing, and I feel like I got that at least.  It was really easy, but man I'm a former nuke and just not used to doing math without a calculator or on such a crazy time schedule.  I feel great about all the other modules, but I know I messed up a couple of math questions with decimals.  I memorized the conversions before I went in and that really helped.  That's why I feel like I probably got at least 11 right just from the conversions.  I took the slightly longer version of the test where it's 46 math questions (conversions, algebra, and some geometry/temp conversions) in 17 minutes.  I'm just freaking out because I didn't quite finish all of it, but I feel like the ones I did were mostly right.  Should have my results in a week or so they said.  Oh and in case anyone is about to take it, I specifically asked about guessing and they told me there was no penalty for guessing.  At least at the sight I was testing for.  At any rate, just in case, I've heard 30 days, 90 days, and six months.  Anyone got the precise time frame, or is it just different per site?

Offline TP

• Lurker
« Reply #363 on: Aug 31, 2017, 01:36 »
Can someone please suggest me the most effective book to study the POSS test. I used one of the books suggested , but I didn't pass the POSS test last time. The book called Barron's Mechanical Aptitude and Spatial Relations Test. Also, the materials on the POSS test was not my problem, my problem is the time. I cannot work fast enough, and I ran out of time about half way thru the test. Is there something that I can do to improve this or just keep practicing and time myself while taking the practice test?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #364 on: Aug 31, 2017, 05:54 »
Can someone please suggest me the most effective book to study the POSS test. I used one of the books suggested , but I didn't pass the POSS test last time.  I cannot work fast enough, and I ran out of time about half way thru the test. Is there something that I can do to improve this or just keep practicing and time myself while taking the practice test?

No book is going to improve your time.  There are suggestions n this thread for improving your time, and you just restated them.  You need to practice, and practice and practice while timing yourself.  Get your time lower.
I'd recommend reading all 366 posts in this thread.  There are a lot of gold nuggets from people who were in your shoes.

I just re-read all 15 pages of 366 messages, it took me about 10 min.  Here are some of the highlights, but I suggest you read all 366 messages slowly.

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5224.msg31639.html#msg31639
https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5224.msg41756.html#msg41756
https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5224.msg48654.html#msg48654
https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5224.msg97945.html#msg97945
https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5224.msg103574.html#msg103574
https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5224.msg126702.html#msg126702
https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5224.msg160045.html#msg160045
https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5224.msg164599.html#msg164599
https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5224.msg179606.html#msg179606
https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5224.msg181102.html#msg181102
https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5224.msg184226.html#msg184226
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2017, 06:18 by Rennhack »

Offline JamAjam

• Lurker
« Reply #365 on: Sep 10, 2017, 07:34 »
I will be taking the POSS next week. I keep seeing talk about assembly, graphs and tables but that isn't apart of the  4 subjects the EEI has on their study guide. Should i be studying those as well or stick to whats on the study guide.
I will be testing at Entergy if that helps.

Offline SpeedOften

• Very Lite User
« Reply #366 on: Nov 16, 2017, 01:33 »
Took the EEI POSS on Tuesday, received results today that I passed.   Thank you all for you notes.  Only 4 sections now.  Definitely ask the person giving the test to give a 1 minute warning on the math test so you can just throw lead into the circles.  I had three of 4 columns completed so I guess on the rest at the one minute mark.

Offline itpscorch

• Lurker
« Reply #367 on: Apr 05, 2018, 08:07 »
Took the POSS-C yesterday for Entergy for an AO Position.

Four Sections:
1. Figural Reasoning: 20 Questions
2. Mechanical Concepts: 44 Questions
3. Read Comprehension: 36 Questions
4. Mathematical Usage: 46 Questions (maybe it was 48, I forgot)

At least for this test, you should guess rather than leave it blank.

This is almost verbatim from the script the test administrator read, "The test is scored ONLY on the number of questions you get correct. There is NO penalty for guessing or wrong answers."

With that, I answered all questions on all sections. My advice, whenever you come across a question that you think will take you a bit of time, make a VERY quick educated guess select an answer and just move on. Come back to it later once you get to the end, that way you won't have any missing bubbles. The test administrator was NOT allowed to give us a 1-minute warning so you really had no idea when time will be up. Just get to the end then come back for the more difficult ones.

Figural Reasoning: Guessed on 3 then came back to tackle them. Worked through 1 then time was up.
Mechanical Concepts: Guessed on about 6-7 of them then came back and answered about 3 before time was up.
Reading Comprehension: Didn't guess on any. Finished with at least 5 minutes left. Definitely the easiest section IMO.
Math: Guessed on about 9 of them. Came back and answered about 6 before time was up.

I received a recommended score today (1 day after the test).

Hope that helps!

Offline remaining

• Very Lite User
« Reply #368 on: Aug 13, 2019, 03:52 »
Took the POSS C recently. I passed. Link to where I originally posted:

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,13839.msg208730.html#msg208730

Offline EricShaw

• Lurker
« Reply #369 on: Nov 05, 2019, 09:35 »
Hey guys, what do you think of this preparation material:
https://www.jobtestprep.com/poss-test?f

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?