Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu POSS (Power Plant Operator Selection System) Test

Author Topic: POSS (Power Plant Operator Selection System) Test  (Read 486315 times)

nearexnuke

Re: Power Plant Operator Selection System Test - Help!
« Reply #25 on: Apr 16, 2007, 06:54 »
So there isn't one standard test, each company has there own version?  Exactly how hard is this test, say compared to the practice tests out there?
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2007, 06:56 by nearexnuke »

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #26 on: Apr 16, 2007, 10:19 »
So there isn't one standard test, each company has there own version?  Exactly how hard is this test, say compared to the practice tests out there?

How hard it is in comparison really depends on how well one takes a test.  I know this sounds like a smart aleck answer but it's true.  If someone tests well, that is doesn't get flustered by knowing that they're being timed or not finishing all of the questions, they usually can do well on the POSS if the knowledge is there.  Do a search for POSS here and you'll find a ton of useful information.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

shayne

« Reply #27 on: Apr 18, 2007, 06:03 »
Most of the tests that I have taken were about the same in nature.  However, I have seen different sections given.  One section I had taken for the job at Fermi, I had never seen before. I think by watered down, DTE only gave a few sections of the exam.  I had taken many sections of the exam that were not part of the testing at DTE.

Ron32

Can you score too high on the POSS test?
« Reply #28 on: Apr 25, 2007, 02:12 »
I've read some of these post and a lot people say you have to get 11 questions right to pass the test and that the wrong answers are taking away from the right answers. And I've also read somewhere that the range of the test was 5 to 15 with 15 being the highest you can score.  So what does getting 11 answers right get you, 5 or 15?

I know that on some test such as the Wonderlic Personnel test if a person scores too high some companies will considered a person over qualified, too brainy, etc, for a position. For instance the highest you can score on the Wonderlic is I think 50. But some companies have a range they like for example, 20 to 35 for certain occupations and if you and if you score above that range or below that range they want hire you for that job. 

I tested for an Auxiliary Operator position at Waterford 3 on Saturday 21, 2007. The test I took math section had 44 questions and 17 minutes.  I completed 28 of the math questions and I’m confident that most of them were right.  I finished the first section which was conversions and I was half way through the algebra section before time was called. The reading section was the easiest part to the test. The only parts of the test that I think I could have bombed were the mechanical concepts and assembly. I answered all the mechanical questions but if you subtract the wrong answers from the right answers I guess there is a chance that my net answers right could be less the 11.

Today I looked at the job applicant status on the internet and it said reject; reason being lacks other minimum qualifications.  :(

So I’m wandering do all companies use the same passing score. If 15 is the highest and you score 13 does that mean you fail. Or does scoring a 5 or higher mean you pass.  And do you think it’s possible to get to many questions right. If I take it again should I try to just make sure I get about 11 answers right in each section including the math or should I go full speed. I was disappointed and a little surprised to see a reject notice

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2007, 03:39 by Ron32 »

Fermi2

Re: Can you score too high on the POSS test?
« Reply #29 on: Apr 25, 2007, 02:42 »
So far as I know they all use the same grading criteria for each individual section of the exam.

My advice, work fast. If you can't work fast and accurately you might not belong in this business. That's not to say you have to work fast all the time in this industry but sometimes accurate and quick decision making is required.

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #30 on: Apr 25, 2007, 10:12 »
Today I looked at the job applicant status on the internet and it said reject; reason being lacks other minimum qualifications.  :(

So I’m wandering do all companies use the same passing score. If 15 is the highest and you score 13 does that mean you fail.

Each utility can set there own passing grade. It sounds like they decided you didn't meet other criteria (perhaps they required a degree or equivalent, but then decided your "equivalent" experience was not adequate). I would think a call to Entergy would be appropriate to clarify why you were not determined to meet minimum qualifications. Otherwise, you won't know what to change before applying again.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Ron32

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2007, 01:07 »

After getting the notice on the internet, I contacted the human resource contact by email and asked for an explanation. She never did respond by email. But I did get a letter in the mail and it said based on your POSS test. You are Not Recommended.

Based on how I think I did on the test and based on the response I received from Entergy, I really do think that this test might have a low range and a high range. I could very well be wrong but I think the scale might be something similar to below. I think that 15 might the highest Aptitude Score but I think your Raw Score Average can be below or above 15 and the more your Raw Score deviates from 15, either way, the lower you aptitude becomes therefore reducing your suitability for the job.

In other words people who don’t get enough answers right will score low and people who get too many answers right will also score low. And that might be the reason why they put more questions on the test than most people can answer.

Does anybody agree or disagree? Like I said I’m just speculating.

Converted Aptitude Score
                        15                                  *******
                        14                                 ********
                        13                                *********           Highly Recommended
                        12                               **********
                        11                              ***********      
                        10                             ************
                         9                            *************         Recommended
                         8                           **************           
                         7                          ***************
                          6                       *****************     
                          5                      ******************     Not Recommended
                          4                    ********************   
                           3                 **********************
                           2               ************************
                           1           ***************************
Average                         
Raw Score      1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28           
 Too Low Raw Score  Avg.                < Good Range >                  Too High Raw Scores Avg.                 

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2007, 01:24 »
...and people who get too many answers right will also score low...

I would tend to doubt that most companies would mark you down for doing too well, although I could be convinced that a small portion might.

When I take any test, I always try to score as high as I can.  The only time I took the POSS, I studied hard for it, completed every section, was interviewed, and was offered the job.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 01:27 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2007, 01:30 »
I aced the exam each time I took it (I have worked for a few companies, and considered others). The utility considered it digitally: either pass or fail. No one that interviewed me knew if I squeaked by or smoked it.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Ron32

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2007, 05:42 »
After doing some research on how aptitude test are developed and graded this is what I think about the POSS test which I think is based on a Bell Curve.

Each one of the test on the POSS was given to a sample group of test takers probably random selected operators. Their test scores were compiled and analyzed and the average score of the sample group became the norm (the average score or the target score of each module).

When the test administers give the test they probably look at three scores.

1.   Raw Score
2.   Percentile Score
3.   Aptitude score.

The raw score is just the total correct answers.

The percentile score can range from 0 to 100 percent. And 50 percent is usually the target score or average of the sample group. Most people in the sample group will usually fall within the 25 to 75 percent range.

The aptitude score is just a score derived from the standard deviation and Z-Score.
The standard deviation is a measure of how far a score deviates from the average and the Z –score is just a measure of the number of standard deviations. So I think the aptitude score on the POSS test is just a type of  Z-score used to see who has similar aptitudes as the sample group.

I think the key to passing this test with a high score is not about getting all the answers right but it’s all about hitting the target score in each module.

I think people who have technical degree like myself who study for the test might tend to hit the high side and get rejected because of being outside the range of the aptitude score and having a high percentile score.

But what I don’t understand is why would the company allow engineering majors to take the test and then disqualify them for scoring too high or too low  depending on what scale you look at?  Sure I can take the test again and just answer fewer questions. It doesn’t make sense to me to have to do that. I’m sure this has happened to a lot of people and they just didn’t or don’t realize what happen.

I would imagine also that some company’s might put more emphasis on one score or the other. Does what I thinking make sense to anybody else but me?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 05:58 by John Doe »

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2007, 02:56 »

I would imagine also that some company’s might put more emphasis on one score or the other. Does what I thinking make sense to anybody else but me?

No offense intended here, but I think you're over analyzing the situation.  I've taken the POSS twice for the same company.  The 1st time was during pre-employment testing and my score got me the job.  The second time was 14 years later when I went from a fleet garage to the nuke plant.  I was told that there was a 7 year window that they gave to the test score and that after that you had to retake it if you were going to a job that required a higher score than was required at the job you were leaving. 

After I passed it again I did quite a bit of questioning regarding the test and what they look for.  We were told prior to testing that they DO NOT expect anyone to finish all of the questions.  They are looking for a percentage to be finished in each section and then at the score of those finished.  Your score on the overall test is based on your total percentage score.  However, if you flunk a section of the test you flunk the entire test.  You said that you could have bombed the mechanical concepts & assembly portions of the test.  This will cause you to flunk the POSS. 

I was not allowed to see my test to know my exact score and which particular questions I missed and I don't believe any company will allow that to happen either.  I was told that I did well on all sections.  My company had one score at that time which was the minimum to get into the fossil system, another (higher) which would get you into the nuke, and a third (higher yet) which made you eligible to bid into operations at the nuke plant.  A co-worker and I tested at the same time and one of us was told that he could get into the nuke plant but not operations without taking the test again.  The other was told that he could bid into operations at the nuke plant if he so desired based on his score.

Ask Entergy which areas you did well on and what areas you have for improvement.  Please take my next statement as the constructive analysis it is intended so that you might improve your score and chance of employment in our industry.  Instead of going on the assumption that you scored too high or over analyzing and assuming how the test is scored accept the fact that they did not accept you based on your POSS score.  This is their way of saying that you did not pass it on your overall score.  I'm sure you've already done quite a bit of searching in the time you've already been on the site and you may have already searched the POSS threads.  If not that is the best place to start.  Get the ARCO book on spatial relations found here: http://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Aptitude-Spatial-Relations-Tests/dp/0768907098 (You can even use the Amazon search on the home page and a percentage helps support Nukeworker) . 

Go to this page:http://www.nukeworker.com/study/POSS.shtml and take the practice tests available there.  You may not be able to get any information as to where you need to improve from Entergy as they may choose not to share it and by now they may not ever have any more in their file than you didn't pass.  Practice, practice, practice.  When you get done there it's lather, rinse, repeat and then get yourself another offer to take the test again either there or at another company. 

If you have any areas that are of particular trouble or concern don't hesitate to search to find out if the answer is already here and then post if it isn't already answered.  The knowledge that exists here among the members and the threads already posted will get you through the POSS if it's possible.  The key is to do as good on it as you can and not shoot for a certain score that isn't "too high."  Taking the practice tests should give you a picture of how prepared you are for the test and any areas for improvement.  After that you can study, practice, and improve so that the next time you take the test you'll be telling us about getting a job offer because you passed the POSS. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline hplynn

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2007, 09:54 »
No, I don't think you can score too high on the POSS. I have taken it 4 times. Twice I finished every section and the other two times I finished all but the math. Apparently I passed because I was offered a job as an operator each time. I'm not saying that I answered all the questions correctly, but it stands to reason that the more you can answer in the time allotted, the more you will get right.

flamesafe

« Reply #37 on: Jun 10, 2007, 09:17 »
I took the mass/poss test and prepared for the test.  I remember having 60 questions in 22 minutes on the math long test.  Some were conversions, algebra, and math essay questions.  The practice test didn't disclose having to be able to do algebra timed.  By all means I can do algebra but not that fast.  I don't think this section you had to have 11 correct.  What's with the 11 correct thing? ???

Fermi2

« Reply #38 on: Jun 10, 2007, 09:35 »

Does it matter? You either know the information or you don't know it.

Mike

Fermi2

« Reply #39 on: Jun 10, 2007, 09:37 »
I took the mass/poss test and prepared for the test.  I remember having 60 questions in 22 minutes on the math long test.  Some were conversions, algebra, and math essay questions.  The practice test didn't disclose having to be able to do algebra timed.  By all means I can do algebra but not that fast.  I don't think this section you had to have 11 correct.  What's with the 11 correct thing? ???

You have to have a certain number of questions answered and of that number a minimum amount correct. I have no idea what the exact number is. If the number you have to have correct is 11 and you only answer the first 11 questions but get them all correct you won't pass if you had to complete at least 20 questions.

Mike

burgher

POSS Test
« Reply #40 on: Mar 27, 2008, 12:18 »
Hi all, new to the site.  I am taking the poss test in 2 weeks and have some questions.  I have all sorts of study material and also practice exams.  Are the practice exams close to the actual test in terms of length, questions, and time?  I have just started to study everything I have.  Is two weeks a realistic time to prepare, assuming I have no industry knowledge? 

Also, is it better to skip an answer if you do not know or to guess?

Rad Sponge

Re: taking the poss test
« Reply #41 on: Mar 27, 2008, 12:24 »
Industry knowledge not required.

burgher

the poss test and interview
« Reply #42 on: Mar 28, 2008, 04:03 »
Here may be a dumb question, but here goes.  I am flying in to take the POSS test and interview for a NLO position.  The test will be Monday morning and the interview will be Tuesday morning.  Obviously I will dress in a suite for the interview, but what about the test?  I am sure the test will be stressful enough and I would be much more comfortable taking the test in lets say business casual, but don't know if that is appropriate.  Any suggestions?

Fermi2

Re: the poss test and interview
« Reply #43 on: Mar 28, 2008, 04:19 »
What are you wearing to the interview? I'd say at the minimum business casual. It sometimes depends on who might be at the POSS.

An example: When I took the POSS at Southern California Edison everyone who showed up was allowed to take the exam. As you completed it you'd hand it in, they'd thank you and leave. I noticed everyone who wasn't at least wearing a nice shirt and tie had their exam handed someone who took it out of the room. Now I had to stay over to take their Chem Tech exam too, I asked the examiner why they were taking certain POSS tests out of the room and his reply was if they couldn't take the time to dress for a favorable impression they saw no need to take the exam so they tossed these tests.

When I took it at Fermi we were greeted by a member of plant management and taken to the test room. They graded the exam on the spot so within an hour after the test they were sending people home. Those who remained interviewed that day.

At TVA we don't even have a member of plant staff in the room when it's taken. By that I mean Ops. You take the exam, turn it in and we get the results about 3 to 4 weeks later so I'd guess it doesn't matter what you wear.

When I interviewed at Davis Besse I was to take the POSS. The Ops Manager had to interview me early, I talked with him and two other members of their management, the person who was to give me the POSS came to get me and the Ops Manager told them to not bother, after talking to me they realized I didn't need a POSS. Later I got the first job offer the Bess gave in something like 5 years. Sadly I had to turn them down which sucked because I grew up near The Bess. By the way the method in which I got my interview is a story in and of itself and would be a great lesson on how perseverance and being a royal pain in the ass can be a huge asset.

Mike

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #44 on: Mar 28, 2008, 05:42 »
Wear a nice Suit and tie!  Go to the test with the attitude that you WILL pass the POSS and you are interviewing for the job.  The POSS will give you more than enough stress, being prepared for the interview is an easy gimme.

When I took the POSS, only 2 people wore suits.  They were the only two hired from that batch of tests and interviews.
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2008, 05:47 by The Nutty Neutron »

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #45 on: Mar 28, 2008, 11:35 »
Hey Broadzilla,

Id like to hear the story, I have taken the POSS test and passed with flying colors but havent been able to darken the first door for an interview.  Ive been calling the southern folks every month and even have a good friend who is an SRO at the plant Im tryin for, but still nothin.  To say the least im frustrated and lookin at some plants in SC, TENN, and NC now in hopes of maybe getting something in one of those states.  Want to stay in the southeast if at all possible.

B.PRESGROVE

Re: taking the poss test
« Reply #46 on: Mar 28, 2008, 11:39 »
Do the practice tests.  They are not as long as the real thing, but I practiced them for a good week b4 I took the test.  When I got to the test I was so glad I had prepared because the tests were I dentical to the practice tests just longer and timed.  Dont try to answer every one of them, they are looking for quality not quantity.  They want to see how many you get right, not how many you answered. (if that makes sense)

number41

« Reply #47 on: Mar 30, 2008, 08:13 »
I wish I could remember the exact quote, but when Ben Franklin was asked whether or not he believed in God, he replied to the effect that he'd rather believe, be wrong and lose nothing than to disbelieve and be wrong.  I'd take this attitude with the POSS, too.  When I took it I wore a suit and tie and I felt like a million bucks.  Helped me maintain my confidence and show the HR people that I meant business.  Maybe it's because I'm an arrogant a$$hole, but I automatically felt like I had a leg up on the guys wearing shorts and a T-shirt.  Guess they thought so too because I passed the exam, smoked the interview and got offered the job.  Better safe than sorry when it comes to these things, no?

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #48 on: Mar 30, 2008, 08:42 »
Yah I wore buisness causal and the effect was the same only those that presented themselves as professionals were interviewed.  Always dress for the occassion, you want to mean buisness when you take the test so be all buisness, you want to impress in the interview so wear you sunday best to impress.  Oh yah dont forget to brush you teeth before hand, no one wants to smell last nights dinner, or that days lunch (that brings back some nasty memories of folks ive talked too before.  My eye brows are still not the same and my sniffer is still numb.)

CoolBoeDee

« Reply #49 on: Mar 30, 2008, 10:34 »
From my personal experience:

Business cas for the test, and a series of connected rooms for the interview. :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?