Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu POSS (Power Plant Operator Selection System) Test honeypot

Author Topic: POSS (Power Plant Operator Selection System) Test  (Read 486411 times)

Offline gsmagnum

• Light User
Re: Power Plant Operator Selection System Test - Help!
« Reply #100 on: Oct 09, 2008, 10:36 »
Typing AEP in both the login and password works.
I have found that the EEI site only likes to work when accessed from a power company website.

From my understanding, all EEI tells the company it is dealing with is whether they passed or failed. They don't give out scores.

What freaked me out both times I took the POSS/MASS tests, is that durring the reading/comprehension part, I was done with roughly 10 minutes to spare. This was unnerving (yes I finished everything) as everyone else was still hard at it for at least the next 5-10 minutes.

AmazinAZ

« Reply #101 on: Nov 09, 2008, 11:39 »
This thread is comforting in that all the advice I have been getting at the plant regarding my upcoming POSS test is to not guess and leave blanks if I am unsure is correct advice. That a wrong answer is worse then a blank answer, it is scored different then equating a blank as a wrong answer. They say they are looking for the percentage right in the amoun answered. We shall see. I am also studying for the ASVAB and taking those practice tests online. I took the EEI practice exams and passed with 96% or higher on each section, however they were untimed, so I am freaking about the timed aspect of the test.
Thanks for a great post for those of us who are on edge.

turkdavid

« Reply #102 on: Nov 11, 2008, 10:38 »
This thread is comforting in that all the advice I have been getting at the plant regarding my upcoming POSS test is to not guess and leave blanks if I am unsure is correct advice. That a wrong answer is worse then a blank answer, it is scored different then equating a blank as a wrong answer. They say they are looking for the percentage right in the amoun answered. We shall see. I am also studying for the ASVAB and taking those practice tests online. I took the EEI practice exams and passed with 96% or higher on each section, however they were untimed, so I am freaking about the timed aspect of the test.
Thanks for a great post for those of us who are on edge.

AmazinAz - I just wanted to give you some advise that I have learned from taking my POSS test recently. The test are timed and you most likly will not finish all of the questions. You are right about it is more important to have right answers comparied to not answering them. I felt that the Math section was the hardest. So I would like to give you advis on this section. First go to 3 or 4 Plant sites and find their practice test and answer all of the conversion questions. Write down what conversions you had to use to answer the question. Now memorize all of those conversions. Next thing there is algebra.. If you are a little rusty work on algebra with fractions. Most of the questions when I took the test three weeks ago, were algebra with fractions. There is also word problems. My test had 20 conversions, 20 algebra, and 20 word problems with only 17 mins. to do them. If you are supper smart you might be able to answer all of them, I could not actualy I only answered about 50% conversion, 25% algebra, and 20% word problems. I made a mistake and started taking too much time on the conversons "I did not study conversion prior to testing" and was not able to get to all the easy question on the Math part.

So to conclude what I am saying is study conversions, and algebra. If it takes you longer then a one step conversion skip it and or longer then 20 secs. Just skip it and go to the next there are plenty of easy questions that you can answer. I felt fine about the whole test until after the math part. When I completed the test and was driving home I thought I failed it cause I did not answer enough question on the Math section. I was wrong Yesterday I recived a letter saying that I did pass the test and I will be contacted to sechedule an interview in a couple months. Good luck to you

Offline forgranted

• Lurker
« Reply #103 on: Nov 11, 2008, 01:09 »
If you skip questions they will count as wrong, that is what I did to err on a resent POSS test.
I know that I passed every section with 95% or better.
That last 17 min. math test I did about 6 on the first page then turned the page. that means that I missed 14 on the first page.

Fermi2

« Reply #104 on: Nov 11, 2008, 02:26 »
How do you know your percentage or grade?

lionhart

Poss Test Help
« Reply #105 on: Nov 17, 2008, 01:06 »
I am scheduled to take the POSS test tomorrow. Can someone help me to understand what is on the math portion?  The online practice test only has conversions on it, but I'm hearing that there is also algebra on it.  Can someone give me an example/or point me to the right place to see what type of algebra is on there?

I'm just trying to find out what type of skills I need to brush up on.  I haven't done algebra since my freshman year in college (8 years).

Thanks for the help.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Poss Test Help
« Reply #106 on: Nov 17, 2008, 01:50 »
And you are waiting until the day before the test to study because???

Having never taken the POSS, I can't help much regarding the algebra content. But there are several places on this board where many people have shared their experience, knowledge and advice regarding the POSS test.

Good luck...
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

lionhart

« Reply #107 on: Nov 17, 2008, 02:59 »
I was just called and invited to take the test today.

Wish I had more time.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

stownsend

« Reply #109 on: Nov 17, 2008, 03:38 »
I was just called and invited to take the test today.

Wish I had more time.
Karma to ya for knowing when to ask for help.Good luck.

lionhart

« Reply #110 on: Nov 18, 2008, 02:24 »
The Test wasn't bad, except for the math part.  I guess they saved the best for last :D

It was really just a timing issue (only 17 Min.)  On the first part I did all of the one step conversions then skipped the the next section.  On the Algebra section I did all the simple Algebra then moved on to the word Problems where I completed all the easier ones quickly.  I then rotated back to the conversions and finished all but two of those.

I skipped all the difficult time consuming problems the first round through.  I hope my strategy paid off!!  We'll see.

lionhart

« Reply #111 on: Nov 25, 2008, 04:32 »
Well I passed.  Such a relief.

racer

« Reply #112 on: Nov 28, 2008, 08:29 »
Looking for an answer,

I just received my letter for the POSS Test. I was appling at Diablo
Canyon. I passed for the hydro and Fossil position but didn't receive a passing score for the Nuclear position. The Hydro/Fossil (poss-pp) and the Nuclear (poss-DC) are labeled as two different tests in my letter. Can anybody help with an answer about the poss test as pass or fail or, what are the differences in these two tests. I only took the POSS Nuclear test. Thanks for your help.

Fermi2

« Reply #113 on: Nov 28, 2008, 09:59 »
You take the entire exam and they give you what you're qualified for based on the results of the exam.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #114 on: Nov 30, 2008, 09:16 »
I know that at my utility everyone testing for power plant positions takes the POSS.  Fossil plants require a lower passing score than nuclear, nuclear OPS takes a higher score still. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline cole256

• Light User
question about poss test
« Reply #115 on: Dec 08, 2008, 08:21 »
hi i found this site while searching on the internet and this is my first post.  i searched some on here and when i have more time i will go more in depth with the site.  i'm from north alabama and have ties with tva.  my mom is a laborer and she has been working on and off for tva for like 15 yrs.  i have 3 good friends that are operators 2 at browns ferry and one in a plant in stevenson.  i took the eei test b4 and i can't remember exactly but it was basically different sections that was passed and failed.  i believe it said nuclear op, fossil op, hydro op, instrument mech, and one more that i can't remember.  i passed all of them except nuclear and just my luck brown's ferry is a nuclear plant.  i was told there will be an op class coming up and my friends said they will let me know about it.  while waiting i have been applying for all op jobs that comes up at tva.  well in one from tn they said in order for me to take the test again i would have to send them something saying that i had some type of training since the first time i took the course.  so i was wondering does anyone know of a prep class or something like that for the eei test.  I also got a call from a fossil plant in kentucky and they was like i basically had the job but i never heard anything back from them.  i've been extremely frustrated by all of this.  I really need to score high enough to pass the nuclear part.  Also the only company i have been able to find operation jobs is tva if someone could i would love to know about other opportunities in the field.  i don't know exactly what the education should be for this job but i think i'm under qualified but my mom may be able to help me at brown's ferry.  i have 62 hrs from auburn but i had to drop out because of money problems.  i feel i'm fairly bright i scored a 26 on my act but that's the only standard test i have taken.  to be honest i was quite shocked when i didn't pass the eei test being i helped my friend study for his and he passed it.  like i said i have read some threads and i see the study book and the practice test online but i was hoping maybe it was a class or something like that since tva sent me that e-mail.  any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for listening bye!

Fermi2

Re: question about poss test
« Reply #116 on: Dec 08, 2008, 02:21 »
First learn to capitalize and try less run on sentences.

Mike

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
« Reply #117 on: Dec 08, 2008, 03:33 »
I don't think the nuclear industry has caught up with IM Chat language/shorthand. There are also a lot of prescriptive linguists in this field that expect to see proper grammar when you write. Everything you study will be in proper English, with capitalizations and periods, no run-ons, etc. Like it or not, the way you write matters and will in a lot of cases be the first impression you make.

You mentioned you had 62 hours or so at a college. Does it include algebra, trig, calculus, chemistry and physics? If so, send TVA a copy of your transcript. You have to want it bad enough. You could go to your Navy recruiter and ask to test for the Nuke program. They have a test on site you could take. If you score high enough they'll want to send you to MEPS, where you'll take the ASVAB. Maybe it's different now, but that's how it was when I went in. You'll know if you have enough lead in your pencil after that test. If you don't score high enough, look at what you did poorly on and concentrate on improving those areas.

Offline cole256

• Light User
« Reply #118 on: Dec 09, 2008, 08:17 »
I don't think the nuclear industry has caught up with IM Chat language/shorthand. There are also a lot of prescriptive linguists in this field that expect to see proper grammar when you write. Everything you study will be in proper English, with capitalizations and periods, no run-ons, etc. Like it or not, the way you write matters and will in a lot of cases be the first impression you make.

You mentioned you had 62 hours or so at a college. Does it include algebra, trig, calculus, chemistry and physics? If so, send TVA a copy of your transcript. You have to want it bad enough. You could go to your Navy recruiter and ask to test for the Nuke program. They have a test on site you could take. If you score high enough they'll want to send you to MEPS, where you'll take the ASVAB. Maybe it's different now, but that's how it was when I went in. You'll know if you have enough lead in your pencil after that test. If you don't score high enough, look at what you did poorly on and concentrate on improving those areas.

I understand that, I did not believe I was applying for a job.  I thought I was asking friendly people for advice.  I thought that since there was even a forum in the first place that it meant the people wanted to help but maybe i was wrong.  Yes i have taken algebra, algebra II & trig, calculus 1 & 2, and engineering physics.  I took chemistry in high school but not while i was at Auburn.  I know i need to have a drive to get anything i want in life, trust me that is not a problem.  I have already talked to people within the company.  I actually spoke with a man that said he does the interviewing in the hiring process.  He said that i wouldn't have been called to take the test if i wasn't qualified.  I was just asking the board because i didn't know if he was just trying to be nice.  What really made me think about it was the job call from the fossil plant in kentucky.  I just basically wanted to know was there some sort of class that you could take to prep you for the test.  If not I don't understand what i can do or show to say I'm better prepped to take the test a second time.  From reading on this site I think I messed up by rushing at the end and filling in blanks when told to stop.  But I don't want to leave anything to chance and while I don't think the math is hard at all, I don't think there is a way to find out what my weak areas are.  Thank you for your feedback I really appreciate you taking time out your day to offer me advice.

Offline cole256

• Light User
« Reply #119 on: Dec 09, 2008, 08:33 »
First learn to capitalize and try less run on sentences.

Mike
Thanks for all of your help kind sir.  Looking at many of your previous posts I see how very helpful you can be.  Hope I made you feel better, have a blessed day.
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2008, 09:03 by cole256 »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #120 on: Dec 09, 2008, 09:46 »
I thought I was asking friendly people for advice.  I thought that since there was even a forum in the first place that it meant the people wanted to help but maybe i was wrong. 

Helpful advice? Absolutely!  :)

Friendly? Maybe the curmudgeons have better insight anyway...  ;D

You didn't give a specific location, but the local community colleges try to accomodate potential test-takers with prep classes. That weekend training alone should be enough to get you re-tested. Chatt State and UCLA (University of Calhoun Longside the Airport) both offer classes. If you are in Jackson County, try talking to the Principal at EPCOT (Jackson County Tech); Dana Moore was very interested in getting something in place.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline cole256

• Light User
« Reply #121 on: Dec 09, 2008, 11:49 »
Sorry roll tide.  I live in Florence, AL.  I called Northwest Shoals but they said they don't have the funding for the class anymore.  So I was hoping to find some other schools.  I believe I read that you are at Brown's Ferry.  That's where my friends and family work at.  But I'd actually be willing to leave and go anywhere to work.  Thanks for the help I'm about to call UCLA now.  I already called Chatt State yesterday and they said they are getting a class in place for maybe January.
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2008, 11:50 by cole256 »

Fermi2

« Reply #122 on: Dec 09, 2008, 04:30 »
You're on a website that has quite a few potential employers. You're asking questions concerning employment, it's in your best interest to put your best foot forward.

Mike

BoilerHP

POSS "Short Math" Section
« Reply #123 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:33 »
I have been searching this site for some time, I haven't seen anyone specifically talk about the "short math" section that could be give for the POSS. If you have taken this version I would love to know a little more about the type of questions for this version.

This is directly from the POSS testing brochure:

"Mathematical Usage. There are two versions of this test. The short version measures candidates' skill in working with basic mathematical formulas based on information provided at the beginning of the test. This version of the test includes 18 questions and has a 7-minute time limit.

The longer version of the test measures skill in solving and manipulating mathematical relationships. There are three sections: formula conversion problems, algebra problems, and word problems. The total test contains 46 multiple-choice items and has a 17-minute time limit."

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2009, 09:40 by BoilerHP »

jc

Re: POSS "Short Math" Section
« Reply #124 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:43 »
It's been a few months since I took the POSS. If I'm remembering correctly, it was sixteen eighteen questions with seven minutes to complete. They were all conversion problems like what is found on the EEI site's practice test.

Edited to add: Looks like you amended your post while I was composing mine. I was wrong about the number of questions.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2009, 09:46 by jc »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?