Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu POSS (Power Plant Operator Selection System) Test

Author Topic: POSS (Power Plant Operator Selection System) Test  (Read 486296 times)

BoilerHP

Re: POSS "Short Math" Section
« Reply #125 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:59 »
Interesting, so its just the conversions... If you don't mind me asking, what employer was this with? Do you (or anyone) know if this is completely random or does the company select which version they want administered? Also thanks for the reply!

lionhart

« Reply #126 on: Jan 05, 2009, 11:11 »
I had no idea that there is two versions.  Does anyone know why?

jc

« Reply #127 on: Jan 06, 2009, 12:38 »
Interesting, so its just the conversions...

Yes. As a matter of fact, they are the exact same problems that are given on the conversion section of the long math test. Verbatim. I don't know why they gave me both the short and long math tests during my POSS session, but they did. I did the 18 conversion problems on the short math test, and then did the exact same 18 questions again a few minutes later as part of the long math test. I guess that actually helped me out on the long math test, because I remembered most of the answers for that section.

If you don't mind me asking, what employer was this with?

TVA.

Do you (or anyone) know if this is completely random or does the company select which version they want administered?

I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure the employer decides whether to give the long, short, or (as in my case) both.

Offline Bleyse

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #128 on: Jan 06, 2009, 07:31 »
I think with TVA they give both short and long math together because it is a combined POSS and MASS test.

BoilerHP

« Reply #129 on: Jan 08, 2009, 09:42 »
I finally got the call today, taking the POSS on the 16th. After all the information I gained from this site and the practicing I have been doing I am way more comfortable and actually prepared for it this time. Thanks a lot everyone and I will certainly keep you all posted when I receive results.

One last random question maybe someone else may know, on the POSS were there conversions of cups, tablespoons, teaspoons and those small "cooking" measurements?

Thanks all,

Boiler

jc

« Reply #130 on: Jan 08, 2009, 10:02 »
One last random question maybe someone else may know, on the POSS were there conversions of cups, tablespoons, teaspoons and those small "cooking" measurements?

Yes.

BoilerHP

« Reply #131 on: Jan 08, 2009, 11:45 »
Thanks JC,
Now I can add those to my stack of flashcards to aid in the math section :D

irsmusic

First how are you guys doing? My name is Chris & im new here to this forum...I would like to know what should i be expecting for? Also What subjects should i study for the most? I took the test on FPLs website but the asvab book i bought has math,machanical concept ect. is all different on the book then the test online...anyone have any advice for me, recommend any books? any Info would be great...

Thank You

Chris

BoilerHP

Best of luck, Tables/Graphs and Math are the most difficult due to the speed at which you need to complete the sections. It is not so much the material that makes this test difficult but the speed at which you have to go through the problems. I have made a few posts in the POSS sections I would recommend reading those and the replys to them and it will hopefully help you feel more at ease! I have taken the POSS and did not get recommended and I am taking it again on the 20th so I have some experience with it and have been studying a great deal. Feel free to PM me to talk more specifically.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,16781.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,16811.0.html

In the ASVAB book I used the math, assembly and Mechanics chapters the most.
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2009, 12:47 by BoilerHP »

Hyperwire

I stumbled upon this site researching AO positions and am glad I did. I've learned so much more here than all my previous googling on nuke ops.

Thursday I took the POSS and afterwards was led back to HR to await my score. It came back "recommend" after about 5 minutes.
Here's what I've learned (at least for the company I've applied to):

The score comes back on a scale of 1-10. If you've scored a 5 >, you're recommended; otherwise your score is "not recommend". My proctor told me that was the only information they receive.
   I was also told some sections are weighted equally, while other parts of the test carry more weight.
   The EEI practice tests are extremely accurate on subject and scope, so if you do well on the practicve within the allotted timeframe, the actual POSS shouldn't be much more difficult.

Here's my personal experience. Although I passed, my experience bordered on nightmarish. I have no nuclear experience and have completed some college. But it's been 10+ years since I've taken any standardized test outside of the POSS practice on EEI's website, which I only missed 3 questions on. I had an appointment and was the only person taking the test, so between sections, I had time to get chatty with my proctor. On the actual test, I did not have enough time to finish the Assembly, Tables and Graphs, or Math Usage sections. Because of this, I was really concerned about not passing, even though I knew the questions I had answered were correct. And I am so glad they were able to give me my results immediately, because I'd have gone nuts waiting for the results.

Speaking of waiting for my results, here's something interesting that I experienced, my proctor made it seem like they sent the tests out to be scored and that she wasn't sure when she'd get the results, that because I was taking the test so late in the day (2pm), the results may not come back until the next morning. She told me this after I had taken the first section (assembly) and had not completed it. This leads me to believe that if you do not answer enough questions out of even 1 section, you're automatically disqualified and will receive a not recommend.

Here's some tips:

take the EEI practice tests. Have a friend time you so you have a feel for the little amount of time alloted. They are exactly like the real test with the exception of having fewer questions.
in the math section especially, answer the easy questions first, then go back and complete the more difficult/multiple step questions
if you are skipping questions, make sure you're filling the bubble to the right question
read the questions first in the reading section, so you have an idea what you're looking for while reading
in the chart section, pay attention to where the bold line items are so you're looking at the corresponding item down the chart
use the edge of the scrap paper to line up your graph if necessary but don't do it the whole time or you will run out of time
in conversions, do all the easy ones first
in assembly, cross out the wrong answers first to narrow down what you're looking at

That's all I can think of for now. I'll post more if I can think of anything else. Good luck!

BoilerHP

Great post, very similar to a lot of the stuff people have said including myself... I am *re-taking* the POSS on Tuesday since I was totally unprepared and misinformed the first time I took the test. After not being recommended I found this site for that information and I feel at least 20x more prepared. Thanks for the extra confidence booster from your post.

irsmusic

Thank You for the Info....

skewter30

Re: Power Plant Operator Selection System Test - Help!
« Reply #137 on: Jan 20, 2009, 04:58 »
If you skip questions they will count as wrong, that is what I did to err on a resent POSS test.
I know that I passed every section with 95% or better.
That last 17 min. math test I did about 6 on the first page then turned the page. that means that I missed 14 on the first page.

This seems to be contrary to what everyone else is saying.  Can anyone confirm?

Fermi2

« Reply #138 on: Jan 20, 2009, 05:13 »
You need to answer questions. The danger in skipping them is not getting enough done to get graded.

He's FOS if he says he knows he got 95% or better. Its not graded like that.

skewter30

math sections on PSS
« Reply #139 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:09 »
Just talked to a friend who said the short and long math tests were the same questions.  He said they gave him 7 minutes to answer 60 questions  and then gave him 17 minutes to answer the same 60 questions. 

He thinks he may not have followed directions as he did the conversions again in teh 17 minute test and only got about 50% through the test.

where the questions the same on both of your math sections?

jc

Re: math sections on PSS
« Reply #140 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:44 »

skewter30

Re: math sections on PSS
« Reply #141 on: Jan 21, 2009, 02:42 »
THanks.

skewter30

« Reply #142 on: Jan 24, 2009, 12:24 »
Well  just took the POSS test!  Only concerned about two portions, The first math and the first graphing.  I only finished 10 questions on the first math, and probably 80% on the first charting.  Should I be worried?  I swept the second math and finished most of it.

BoilerHP

« Reply #143 on: Jan 24, 2009, 12:47 »
I did about the exact same and passed (took it last Tuesday)... sounds like you will have a good probability assuming you were right most of the time. I answered 36/46 math questions.

What utility and site was it for?
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2009, 12:49 by BoilerHP »

Offline gsmagnum

• Light User
« Reply #144 on: Jan 24, 2009, 11:07 »
You aren't supposed to finish a couple of the sections.
It made me feel like I missed something on the Reading/Comp test as I was finished first both times I took (and passed) the test. (like the next person done was not for another 5 min)

Offline cole256

• Light User
Re: question about poss test
« Reply #145 on: Jan 27, 2009, 11:40 »
Well, I have to take the test Saturday!  I'm excited and nervous, I will just keep studying and give it my best effort!

BoilerHP

Re: question about poss test
« Reply #146 on: Jan 27, 2009, 11:46 »
Best of luck!

irsmusic

Math On The POSS Test!!!
« Reply #147 on: Jan 27, 2009, 12:28 »
Hey guys I just to see if anyone could help me out and give me some sample questions that appeared on the Math section. What kind of basic algebra did they have and did they have linear equation to graph (how are the questions to graph it). How were the Word Problems? Thank you for your time.

BoilerHP

Re: Math On The POSS Test!!!
« Reply #148 on: Jan 27, 2009, 01:35 »
Read some of the other posts... I know I gave some examples after I took it recently. Look in either "short math section" or Another POSS reflection" I gave some pretty detailed info.

I would also recommend reading just about every post in the POSS section and search specific things.

skewter30

« Reply #149 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:25 »
Passed!.  I am very excited.  I will be contacted for an interview.  Thankfully I have people pulling for me on the inside!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?