Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Are you a veteran?
honeypot

Author Topic: Are you a veteran?  (Read 15604 times)

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Are you a veteran?
« on: Apr 05, 2005, 01:14 »
One of the things good about military service is that some employers give priority to hiring veterans. The US government likes that; government agencies give veterans preference.

One of the things to keep in mind after military service is what the prospective employer defines as a veteran. Some only count those with a combat theatre (Southwest Asian Service for Iraq, Southeast Asian Service for Vietnam) medal as veterans!

Check the fine print when applying; large quasi-government agencies such as TVA, Bonneville Power Administration, and US Postal Service can establish distinct programs from the standard government veteran preference program.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline nukedog

• Moderate User
  • Look at the head on that thing!
Re: Are you a veteran?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2005, 02:47 »
Wow! I work as a H.P. and a disabled vet,  so if TVA has an opening for Health Physics Technician I should be a shoe-in?

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2005, 03:21 »
It depends on the amount of your disability as rated by VA. (10% and 30% are the thresholds for TVA)

I wasn't trying to get into specifics about a particular agency, just reminding those getting out to investigate the published policies of potential employers.
 :) :) :) :)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2005, 08:23 »
Here is a link that may be of interest to Veterans.

http://www.military.com/Opinions/0,,Scott_032905-P1,00.html

davisclay9370

« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2008, 10:50 »
Yes I am a veteran and get points for the post office where I work.  If anyone wants this job get your head examined.  enought of that.  here is a backlash against the current vets-  there are companies that will not hire people in the reserve or national guard component because of the troop rotation schedule.  A friend of mine works in an HR dept for a large company and has been to meetings and has heard this grumble across the fruited plain.  As an Iraq war vet I find this disgusting as does my friend.  Do not be afraid to put on your resume that you are a vet but there may be some hesitaion if yo are but they wont come out and say it.  that is illegal but will make up an excuse.  Yet another way people try to slam our vets after their service.

shovelheadred

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2008, 12:32 »
...Yea, I am a veteran,,my dad was a veteran, my daughter is a veteran, my son-in-law is active military..my heritage all the way back to the Revolutionary war is full of veterans..my 4th great grandfather was killed at Gettysburg,,my 7th great grandfather was a Hessian soldier that came to South Carolina to fight with  the British, against the colonists, but met a South Carolina girl, Crawfished the British, took their money, married the Carolina girl,,,and took up arms against the British,,,,guess I get it honest....as far as job benefits from being a veteran,,got my training from the Navy, got my savy from that Hessian soldier...and all these "stars and bars" tattoos from the heritage buried at Gettysburg, at "Devils Den"..did I get off topic? sorry, but the question was.."are you a veteran"...D@#n Right...look at my avatar....red

rlbinc

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2008, 02:29 »
Yes, I'm a veteran. At least I used to be considered a veteran, modern congressional definitions notwithstanding.
I have a DD-214 which says I was a NEC 3393 and a 9591 with an RE-R1 re-enlistment code. Here's what that means...

I was supposed to get a GI Bill, but they changed the law and in 1989 I lost my last six years of eligibility, four years after settling into a commercial job.

Good thing I qualify for VA Priority Group 8 Benefits*, which I'm sure all of you other veterans appreciate that as much as I do.

So being a veteran is alot like being active duty. It's not as good a deal as it initially appears, nothing is guaranteed, and it's better off left alone.

I'm glad young men and women serve. It keeps us free. It's hard to think about anything more important than freedom.

*enrollment has been suspended. :)

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2008, 05:20 »
I am a veteran - twice by the government definition.  I am a Marine Corps Vietnam era veteran because I was on active duty prior to the "end of hostilities" as declared by President Ford in May 1975.  And I am also a Navy veteran because of being awarded the Navy Expeditionary Medal for service in the Lebanon war zone in 1982 - where I heroically analyzed primary and secondary chemistry with no fear of attack.  :P
Dave

LaFeet

« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2008, 06:34 »
Yes... and proud of it too

stownsend

« Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2008, 09:04 »
Yes. Brookhaven National lab only gives special status to combat vets,but they will list your service on your personnel history. On long Island the town gives a reduction in property taxes to Viet Nam Vets which I think is common.I also found out they give a tax break to "cold War Vets" but you have to have a certificate from the VA. This takes about 6 to 8 weeks.Check with you town as they may have something similar. Service dates are Sept 1945 to Dec 1991. 
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2008, 09:55 by stownsend »

LaFeet

« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2008, 12:39 »
To all of you who are Vets -  thanks for you time and sacrifice

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #11 on: Apr 27, 2008, 07:20 »
To all of you who are Vets -  thanks for you time and sacrifice

Ditto to what LaFeet said, and yes I am a proud Veteran. ;D
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2008, 01:16 »
Yes, I am a proud Veteran.  However, I wasn't in combat and my being a Vet has never gained me any ground with obtaining employment.... maybe because I wasn't in during combat time?... maybe

Thank you all who have served and are currently serving. 

GOD Bless the U.S.A.!!!

diliigaf

« Reply #13 on: Apr 28, 2008, 04:57 »

Yes I am, and damn proud to say that.... My family has a long history of service....

God bless America, Freedom is not free....

Honor the dead, fight like hell for the living...
                                 NEVER forget our Vets

Rest safe at night knowing our troops are keeping us and all around us safe!!!!

Offline elwood

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #14 on: Apr 28, 2008, 06:06 »
Yes and proud of it.

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #15 on: Apr 30, 2008, 10:25 »
Yes, and I'm very proud to have been in the service.  (Retired from the Navy last month after 20+ years.)

- Greg
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 10:25 »
Yes I am and proud of it. 11 years, 1 month and 13 days in the canoe club. Glad I did it but wouldn't want any part of it again. I liked being a nuke but the military side of things sucked. I was especially grateful for being on a submarine after I was exposed to the surface fleet.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?