Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Newbie Questions honeypot

Author Topic: Newbie Questions  (Read 11029 times)

jamesd

Newbie Questions
« on: Apr 12, 2005, 11:51 »
Sorry, if this isn't the right place for this thread, but it seems like the home of everything that doesn't belong somewhere else.

I am new to the field with one outage under my belt and have a few questions that I would like to run past you guys:
(Just think of me as your favorite little brother, or as the guy who is going to take of your favorite sister so that she and the dozen kids don't have to come live off of you. 8))

01)  In your opinion, what is the best position/job class to try to get into, why and how.
   01a)  BTW, is turbine work a good place to be?  (My next job is as a laborer on the turbine crew)

02)  What companies would you suggest trying to work for, and which to avoid and why.

03) Starting out from scratch today, where/what do you recommend that I try to get into, how and why.

If it sounds a little of to you for me to be asking . . . sorry, but nothing ventured, nothing gained and so on.

Thanks

shayne

Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2005, 12:26 »
Welcome to nukeworker.com. 

Keep reading the Career Section of the Forum.  You will find that some of these questions have been asked and answered.  Continue to ask your questions.  Plenty of people here with different backgrounds and experience to help.

It sounds like you do have your foot in the door which is a good start.  As a Laborer, you will see many different jobs.  Try to find what interests you and make some contacts.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2005, 08:25 »
In addition to Shayne's suggestions, which are right on target, I would add that the next logical step from laborer is to try to get a job as a deconner. No matter where you end up, the experience you gain doing decon work will serve you well. It is a 'technical laborer' position. I know I will get some grief for saying that but here is the reasoning: As a laborer you will be doing whatever it is that needs to get done and does not require any specific qualifications. As a deconner you will still do a lot of work that is similar to what laborers do, but you will also be trained to do work that involves specific skills and acquire valuable technical knowledge in the process. Some decon technicians move on to be HP techs after acquiring the experience necessary, some remain as deconners throughout their career. Any HP will tell you that a good crew of deconners is worth its collective weight in gold.

Even if you don't become a career deconner or move into the HP ranks, the experience of being a deconner will be invaluable. Operators, chemistry techs, I&C techs, mechanics, and even planners that understand the things you learn as a deconner will do their job better and gain a better understanding of what it takes to make a power plant function. And as a deconner, you will get to see a lot of those folks doing their job (well, probably not the planners) and can get a better idea of what it is you might want to do.

One last thing -- keep your eyes and ears open, ask questions, prove you are not afraid to work and show an interest in doing your job right (OK, that is more than one thing). And do your best not to get stuck in the same job over and over. The Turbine is not a bad place to get started, but if you are working in a PWR, try to get a job in the auxiliary building or contaiment next... there is much more to be learned in those places if you plan on sticking to nuclear. If you are in a BWR, try to get in the reactor building or drywell -- roughly the equivalent to the PWR aux building and containment.

The fact that you care enough to ask bodes well for your future. Good luck to you.
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2005, 08:27 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

jamesd

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2005, 10:49 »
Thanks guys.  BTW, are there any special requirements for beng a welder beyond PAT/RWT?  I guess what I'm really asking is whether or not getting a welder certification in the off-season as part of a plan to finance future education would do any good.

spongerob

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2005, 01:14 »
Being a deconner/Jr. HP I think that is great advice to statrt at decon. We do little of everything and some times and some places are greatly appreciated. You will begin to get noticed by the HP's and they can help you out alot learning the finer points of nuclear power which could take you anywhere. Good luck

ageoldtech

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 05:02 »
I’m afraid that in this business as in others, it’s who you know. Yes, hard work, drive and ambition are great qualities, but sometimes they are overlooked. I suggest being versatile, try different crafts, the hard part you’ve already done. Good luck

jamesd

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 12:31 »
I have seen some of that "who you know" in action all already.  Is it more likely in nukes than other fields, or just more obvious when it does occur?

My job turned out to be welder's helper.  Good bunch of folks in the Surry weld shop. Accomadations were as scarce and distant as predicted, though.

Actually, I think it went well.  I was told that I was a welder's helper and needed a couple of shifts to realize that firewatch was all that was expected of me.  By then, my approach to the job was already established and I felt free to make whatever contributions I could to the job at hand without worrying that I would cross outside of the "just a firewatch" mentality. 

Pretty soon, I noticed that I was paired up with some of the more experienced welders and nearly all of them went out of their way to answer my questions and add to my knowledge.  So I did a little assisting, a little fitting and a lot of firewatching.  I wouldn't change any of it.

I even met an HP shift supervisor from Bartlett who seemed like a pretty good guy. (Would I  namedrop when talking to a recruiter about a decon job? lol)

Anyway, try to avoid having to cross the West Norfolk Bridge (from Portsmouth) if you go to Surry in the next year or so.  Construction has it down to one lane from three and frequently spent an hour or more just trying to go the last half-mile up to the bridge when returning to the motel.  Luckily, I was working nights and driving in opposition to rush-hour traffic instead of in opposition to rush-hour traffic.  ;)

ageoldtech

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 04:11 »
I’ve worked Surry on and off for many years, it’s a good place to work. Back in the early eighties it was a dive, but they really turned that place around. I hope you are recognized for your hard work.

Offline mach

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2007, 07:59 »
I did not know were to post this at, but here goes. I am new to the site and wanted to say hi to everyone. This site is full of information. I am an electrical Technician looking for work. currently exploring all my options. I hear getting into the Nuke field can be very rewarding. I"m just at some cross roads being 27 and free from work looking to make a move on a career path. Any input or advice will be great.

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2007, 01:14 »
start looking through the forums...there is tons of information on what you can do with your background already available on the site.  If youve got a clean background youre sure to get in.  The hardest part is getting on with a company this late in the season, but theres always next season for outage work.  Just submit your resume to anything appropriate and good luck. 

AOVWIFE

« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2007, 01:16 »
Hello,

New to this forum!  ;D  Am trying to attain information on Entry-Level positions within Nuclear Industry.  Such as:  clerk--hp/rp---firewatch---etc.
Am traveling with husband and need to get my foot in the door. Any information would be appreceiated..ie:  study books, online training.

thank you very much
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2007, 02:09 by BeerCourt »

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2007, 01:36 »
Hello,

New to this forum!  ;D  Am trying to attain information on Entry-Level positions within Nuclear Industry.  Such as:  clerk--hp/rp---firewatch---etc.
Am traveling with husband and need to get my foot in the door. Any information would be appreceiated..ie:  study books, online training.

thank you very much

Welcome to NukeWorker ;D

Here is a link to some info, and I would recommend you look in the forum under careers. I think you may find what you are looking for.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5407.0.html
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2007, 01:42 »
Deconner is a good way to get in. Not very glamorous work but it's a start.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?