Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Tool Decon / Ultrasonic Machines / What's the best?

Author Topic: Tool Decon / Ultrasonic Machines / What's the best?  (Read 12788 times)

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
  • -40F Keeps out the RiffRaff
Anyone using ultrasonic machines for tool decon?  Do they work well?  Any suggestions for manufacturers or other types of decon for tools and other small items?  We currently have an old sand blast machine that we use on occasion for hand tools, valves, etc.  Looking at an upgrade.  From what I hear we can use the ultrasonic machines on electronics and other components that may be damaged by sand or water.  What are we using out there??  Thanks for the help!!!!

alphadude

Re: Tool Decon / Ultrasonic Machines / What's the best?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2006, 10:51 »
Ultrasonics use water solutions to clean and will damage fragil items- its mechanical in its process (micro implosions or cavatation) and imparts a lot of energy to the item.

Other wise, they work well. Decontamination is basically removal of dirt and organic compounds from any surface (the contamination happens to contain rad matierial) .  The problem with rad contamination is that some of the dirt you wish to remove is in the form of magnatite, which sticks to typical steel surfaces.  Changing the pH of the decon solutions and application of heated solutions does help. However, sometimes it takes mechancial removal techniques and ultrasonic is one of those techniques. Use a degreasing formula in the ultrasonic bath.

When ultrasonic fails, grit blasting should be the next step.  Local use of scotch brite or grinding may be needed also.  Acid wash is the final step. (remember how wonderful Eltctropolish was-(RCRA problems))

Using strong alkaline solutions on non-organic contaminates may result in the metallic contamination becoming passified and "locked" to the surface you wish to deon.  This prevents oxidation of the magnatite- oxidation helps in removal.

Washing the item in strong detergent soulution (Dawn) should be the first step in the decon process if the item is oily or greasy.  Do this before ultrasonic cleaning.

The decontamination process should consist of this setup

wash and clean- strong detergents

ultrasonic cleaner

grit blaster with walnut hulls and

grit blaster with silicon carbide for stubborn items

Chemical etching- only attempt with a very well trained person.

Boric acid removal- weak ammonia solution.

DO NOT RELY ON ONLY ONE TECHNIQUE- Rad contamination comes in a variety of matrixes.

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2006, 10:55 by alphadude »

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2006, 02:43 »
Alphadude, could you allude to the types/manufacturers you use or have used or even know of when it comes to ultrasonic cleaners?  Also, can you give a recommendation?

I hope this doesn't cause the original poster's topic to stray, but I found this to be a little bit interesting.

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2006, 04:15 »
cincinnati,
That's all relevant info I was looking for too.  Thanks!
Anyone have any specific decon processes or procedures they use to get equipment cleaned?

alphadude

« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2006, 05:06 »
crest, branson, ultrasonics are all good companies.  always use a plastic mesh bath pan for putting the material into. DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGERS or HANDS IN the UNIT

sonics are purchased by the wattage, some have heaters but most will heat the water up by the mechanical action.

what specific items do you wish to decon? (procedure wise?)

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2006, 08:42 »
Currently we've been told by one vendor we can put just about anything in these machines to remove contamination.  Contamination meaning dirt and debris.  We would like to do small tools.  But they are stating we would also be able to do small electric tools.  Drills, grinders, cords, etc etc.  What are your thoughts on these type of items?  These are the items that we are interested in more specifically. The person investigating this for our plant was believing that this may be a single solution answer for decon of equipment and tools.  Spend some money and purchase a tool that will solve all of our problems.  I believe what you stated earlier.  Basically that there is more than one way to skin a cat.  That is why I had questioned procedures.  I was curiouse to if you've seen a procedure or flowpath document on how to attempt decon.  Similar to what you laid out.  Do this first, this second....  Similar to a flowchart on how to decon an individual.  I'm not looking at specifically writing a procedure.  But a working guide for our labor force may be something we could look into.
Thanks again. 

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2006, 09:15 »
Small tools work well in US units but electronics ??? Never happen. I have used many different types of US units large and small heated and unheated, but never saw any that you could put elecronics into that would not do some sort of damage.
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

alphadude

« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2006, 09:26 »
Get a book on ultrasonic cleaning. There are plenty out there its an old tool that has been in use since WW2.  They are not the utimate solution, just one tool in the box.  DO NOT Clean any electric tool that you want to reuse- you have voided any safety warrenty that was provided by the tool manuf. US can break down insulation, depending on the bath used.  They impart lots of energy and WATTS means energy.  Where do you work?  Sounds like you have an inexperienced crew trying to redesign the wheel.  Electronics are at your own risk. Companies do clean circuit boards this way, but does your crew know enuff to risk frying the chips? 

I can provide you what you want but its several hours of information. Bath selection, watts per surface area, failures and success, and so on.

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2006, 10:37 »
You hit the nail on the head.  We are inexperienced here.  The person doing the investigation has been looking into US and asked the RP department if we knew anything about this.  I offered my help via Nukeworker.  I've always had great response in this forum format.  Plus it's advantageous getting info straight from the horses mouth.   Our lack of experience is due to the fact that we just don't decon a lot of tools and equipment anymore.  Looking at doing a complete modification of our decon area and looking for some ideas.  We have a lot of obsolete equipment in there that we'll be getting rid of.  Upper management was questioning if we were planning on replacing some of this equipment with new technologies.

alphadude

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2006, 10:59 »
Dont buy from a Nuclear supplier- find other sources its cheaper. (several companies like to take technology from the manuf. and put a nuke label on it and double the price- I know this for a fact. Quadr... did this and so did Ba........ )

not a lot of new technology out there,  just lot of new BS to stimulate sales.  You can get smaller blaster units that uses a wide variety of media, an ultrasonic bath, a parts washer, some pencil grinders and thats about all you need. It is still removal of dirt- no matter how you spell it! 

Dont believe the "it reduces airborne, etc" its all BS. Any time you apply mechanical pressure to an object for decon- the contaminate has to go some where.  (see the sponge blast info)

email me and I'll see what I can do.

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2006, 01:26 »
AD,
I guess where I am coming from is slightly different.  I am not in commercial nuclear power, or any nuclear power for that matter.  I work for a fixed gauge manufacturer, we use sealed radioactive sources similar to those used in radiography and irradiators.  Once a customer is done with said source they typically send them back to us, the manufacturer, for disposal.  Sometimes we attempt to reuse them, but the amount of dirt and grime and corrosion gives us a not so happy feeling.  So rather than wash these by hand, j/k, we would like to find a small US cleaner.  I have even dreamnt up an idea of using a golf ball washer ;)  The capsules we use are typically 1/2 inch dia. by 3/4 in length, so imagine something in reference to some pocket change.  I dont know if something would be available to decon something this size, as it seems you are working with large items.

I dont want you to think like you have to post a book or anything, but you do post mostly relevant info.  I need a starting point and reading it from the horse's mouth is pretty good for me.  I will try the manufacturers you listed and avoid the nuclear suppliers.

alphadude

« Reply #11 on: Jul 11, 2006, 02:35 »
US cleaners range in size from 1/2 pint up. Pick the wattage you will need to avoid damage to the item u want to clean.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?