Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke degree availability honeypot

Author Topic: Nuke degree availability  (Read 4546 times)

shadowhunter

Nuke degree availability
« on: Apr 18, 2005, 02:10 »
Is Thomas Edison State College the only four-year university available for a Nuclear Engineering degree?

If not, what are the other alternatives?

ex-SSN585

Re: Nuke degree availability
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2005, 06:13 »
Hi,

Could you be a little more specific as to what information you need?

First, I don't have a nuclear engineering degree, so don't have all the details.  I assume you are referring to distance learning programs only.

TESC and Excelsior (formerly New York Regents) offer nuclear engineering technology degrees, which are not the same as nuclear engineering degrees, but, for most Navy personnel, are as close as you are going to get, unless you are at a facility that has access to the RPI program.

Someone will probably give better information, but as far as I know, it will be difficult to find a baccalaureate program for nuclear engineering that can be accomplished by distance learning.

On the graduate level, you will find many programs available for a MS and/or ME in nuclear engineering (for example, the University of Oregon, University of Tennessee, and (I think) NC State).  (An MS usually requires a thesis and is for someone who intends to pursue a higher degree, an ME can be accomlished by course work only.)

Note:  This is a short answer only, with minimal research to support it.

Edit:  If your question refers to any four-year university program, there are very many universities that offer Nuclear Engineering degrees.  I can think of at least three in California, plus the ones with distance learning Master's degrees mentioned above have undergraduate programs.  Most state universities have at least one campus that offers a nuclear engineering option.
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2005, 06:21 by ex-SSN585 »

shadowhunter

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2005, 02:06 »
Could you be a little more specific as to what information you need?

Point taken. I was referring to distance learning programs, available through and seperate from SOCNAV.

I've found Nuclear Engineering Tech programs available from Thomas Edison State College and Old Dominion University. I was just wondering if there were any other schools that offered a nuclear engineering degree available by distance learning.

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2005, 02:19 »
At Regents/Excelsior they offer two different degrees for Navy personnel with nuclear backgrounds.  One is the technology degree and the other is an ABET certified engineering degree.  Both, I believe are offered as 2 and 4 year degrees, but with the latter 4 year degree you can pursue a masters in engineering.  The problem though is that some of the required classes are hard to find via the distance learning route but they do have a curriculum guideline that gives an example of where to find a particular class.  Then the problem becomes the feasability of taking a materials course from the Univ. of Tenn. at home on other side of the country.  Either way get that piece of paper.  CincinnatiNuke

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?