Career Path > Nuclear Operator

Senior Reactor Operator

<< < (2/15) > >>

Nuclear NASCAR:

--- Quote from: jasonmsmith on Apr 20, 2005, 02:01 ---I am qualified EOOW (SRO) on two different naval reactor plants, S5W and S8G.  Does Naval qualifications carry much weight in the civilian world. 

--- End quote ---

They carry enough weight to get you in the door, but you'll still have to work your way through the ranks to get up to SRO.

Fermi2:
Read my previous post. All you've ever operated is a Start Up Source.

Most likely you can hire in as a Non Licensed Operator or in Engineering. Then work your way up or cross over.

An EOOW is not equivalent to an SRO. It's not equivalent to a Reactor Operator in a Commercial Plant.

Mike

halflifer:

--- Quote from: Sequoyah1&2 on Apr 20, 2005, 04:01 ---Read my previous post. All you've ever operated is a Start Up Source.

Most likely you can hire in as a Non Licensed Operator or in Engineering. Then work your way up or cross over.

An EOOW is not equivalent to an SRO. It's not equivalent to a Reactor Operator in a Commercial Plant.

Mike

--- End quote ---

It seems that Mike has a sore spot with Navy Nukes but he does make a valid point. Commercial plants are much larger and complex than Navy plants......imagine my surprise when, at my first outage, I was sent to cover RCP seal removal and was told that the workers would be STANDING IN THE SEAL CAV !!!!!! :o
It's a bit like comparing a Porche to a Kenworth....a big, HOT Kenworth

Nuclear NASCAR:

--- Quote from: halflifer on Apr 20, 2005, 10:27 ---It seems that Mike has a sore spot with Navy Nukes but he does make a valid point. Commercial plants are much larger and complex than Navy plants......imagine my surprise when, at my first outage, I was sent to cover RCP seal removal and was told that the workers would be STANDING IN THE SEAL CAV !!!!!! :o
It's a bit like comparing a Porche to a Kenworth....a big, HOT Kenworth

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't call it a sore spot, more just telling it like it is.  He is, as I recall a former Navy Nuke. 

I'm not ex-Navy but I can second the size of things at the plant.  I used to work at a 600 megawatt dirt-burner.  I was blown away by the 1200 megawatt turbine-generator at our plant the first time I saw it. 

shayne:
Yes he was former Navy Nuke.  Started at the bottom of operations and worked his way up to Shift Manager.  So he does have the background to tell it like it is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version