Career Path > Nuclear Operator

Senior Reactor Operator

<< < (15/15)

Fermi2:
At A1W when I showed up in 1985 there were 4 Enlisted EOOWs with 4 or 5 years experience. When I left there were 6, 2 with under 4 years experience.

Mike

M1Ark:

--- Quote from: 30378wby on Feb 11, 2007, 05:23 ---As far as standing Control Room Supervisor (SRO) being difficult, well once you get sentenced out to be a Ops Work Liaison or CRS Admin or whatever the equivalent is that deals with scheduling and protective tagging and support and maintenance and planning and engineering implementation, CRS is a joke and you realize that a severely retarded drunken monkey could stand as the onshift SRO. 
--- End quote ---

A drunken monkey could perform the job of a Control Room Supervisor if the CRS Admin as you described is performing their job flawlessly.  This is rarely the case and a GOOD CRS not only has to do their own job but also track every move and decision the CRS Admin is doing to protect himself and the crew.  Not only does a good CRS track the CRS Admin but also the I&C Supervisor, the Electrical Maint. Supervisor and all of the techs working on the Unit.

Also it boils down to responsibility.  The Control Room Supervisor goes down in flames for every decision he/she makes as well as decisions being made without his knowledge.  More than once I was seconds from a reactor scram due to a "good idea" concocted by a well-intentioned CRS Admin.

The following sentence could be said for any job of responsibility.
A drunken monkey could perform the job <insert job here>.

Roll Tide:

--- Quote from: 30378wby on Feb 11, 2007, 05:23 ---As far as standing Control Room Supervisor (SRO) being difficult, well once you get sentenced out to be a Ops Work Liaison or CRS Admin or whatever the equivalent is that deals with scheduling and protective tagging and support and maintenance and planning and engineering implementation, CRS is a joke and you realize that a severely retarded drunken monkey could stand as the onshift SRO.  CRSA cannot be believed until you have the job, I didn't believe that comment but now I do.  Now I believe that CRS in the control room is normally a pretty easy job (sometimes hectic but nothing like the other one). 

--- End quote ---

I will give you the benefit of the doubt: IF OPS has such ownership of the scheduling process that all of the feedback previously given regarding the schedule is flawlessly implemented, the CRS job would feel easier than a scheduling job. But when things are ugly, like most plants, then every OPS signature means your reputation is on the line. At most plants, only the SRO that actually signs for it will have real consequences for the OOPS that takes the unit off line.

Ask your favorite NRC resident how they view Scheduling vs. OPS.

Len61:
"I have to agree with the majority comments in that as a Chief Machinery Operator I could have started up the entire secondary plant by myself without a procedure."

Hey 30378wby, as a former CMO, I have to say that it was very satisfying to know I could take the entire engine room from cold to underway almost single handedly. Actually given the state of the watch team after liberty call in one French port I did just that.
Really loved that part of my job in the Nav, it was all the other BS that sucked.
By the way, Nuke school class 8507, prototype 8601 (NY, MARF), CVN 69 (IB to all you IKE sailors out there).

rlbinc:
"Enlisted men are stupid, but they are sly, cunning, and bear considerable watching."
-1910 US Naval Officers Manual

I would rather have a root canal than train an Engineer in a simulator. The problem with most ex-Officers is that they are typical Engineers. They lock in and analyze the crap out of an Auto Trip annunciator, but can't tell what Power, Pressure, and Level is, and have no idea which safety systems have actuated or failed to actuate.

There's some gas on the campfire, huh?

And, uh, yeah. I still respect your service , Sir.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version