Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Distance relationships honeypot

Author Topic: Distance relationships  (Read 10508 times)

Fermione

Distance relationships
« on: Apr 20, 2005, 03:14 »
Hi all,
I'm seeing a wonderful woman that just happens to live in Montana.  I try to get out there every two or three weeks but even that sucks.  Any one have any helpful ideas on how to get through this.  She can't move here right now and I would have a very hard time giving up a good job and money.  I would if it came to that but our type of work (RP) is kind of limited out there.

Thanks to all,
Fermione

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Re: Distance relationships
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2005, 01:27 »
Fermione, after 24 years of my husband being a road tech, I can tell you about long distance romance. Here are some tips:

1. The little things count, what you did today, hearing you breathe, your laugh, etc.
2. Have a good phone plan, call daily if just to say hello, don't talk shop LOL
3. Send her cards, letters, etc; keep in touch
4. Be prepared to WORK at the relationship

Good luck.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2007, 08:29 »
They can and do work, sometimes. Just have to work at a little harder.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2007, 04:50 »
They can and do work, sometimes. Just have to work at a little harder.

You got that right. I sometimes think about the women of another time especially those whose husbands might have been whalers or sailors on the shipping trade. The longest Henry and I were ever apart was 9 months and we saw each other 2 times during that period. 2 or 3 days at Christmas and a week at Easter. I finally gave up and went back on the road and stayed on it for he next 4 years with 3 children.

ageoldtech

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2007, 05:39 »
Luckily my wife knew what I did when she married me 21 years ago, so there wasn’t much of an adjustment period for us. I started traveling without her when my son started school, but now that he’s in college I think she’s going to start traveling with me again. I hope our marriage can stand the strain of being together.

remowil55

« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2007, 08:13 »
It can be tuff, long distance love affairs rarely work, i found and lost the love of my life at Comanche Peak,that was 14 years ago, been alone ever since. I just soon stay that way. R

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2007, 12:00 »
Luckily my wife knew what I did when she married me 21 years ago, so there wasn’t much of an adjustment period for us. I started traveling without her when my son started school, but now that he’s in college I think she’s going to start traveling with me again. I hope our marriage can stand the strain of being together.

Welcome to a whole new world  :) There's nothing like traveling with just the two of you, I promise. I've spent days wholed up motel but then I've ventured out and found wonderful sites. I will never forget riding my first city bus to the mall in Monroe MI, LOL

Have fun.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2007, 09:00 »
Your always my example of a couple that made it work. Kudos.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2007, 12:28 »
Your always my example of a couple that made it work. Kudos.

Thanks Spanky, glad to know our hard work at making it work has been noticed.

Offline BStella

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2007, 12:31 »
It can be tuff, long distance love affairs rarely work, i found and lost the love of my life at Comanche Peak,that was 14 years ago, been alone ever since. I just soon stay that way. R

IMHO...times have definitely changed (in the past, I've unfortunately witnessed many wonderful relationships fail)...now there's not as much partyin' and we're all a lot more mature.  We're pretty good at giving the "evil eye" to someone who's doin' something they shouldn't be doin'.  They are definitely an outcast...IYKWIM

allforthenukie

« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2007, 09:49 »
If I had a girlfriend and had to back on the road I would dump her ass before I left for the job. I tried going on the road and leaving the wonderful girlfriend back home once years ago. We exchange letters phone calls, her picture on the hotel night stand  Etc. Long story short by the time I got back things were "different", like some other guy had moved in while I was gone and had been nailing wonderful girlfriend for some time. When I got home and found out I felt like a total fool. Never again man! Never again.

NukeWifeKW

« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2007, 07:52 »
I'm sorry you had that experience.

It works for some, it doesn't work for others.  It all depends on the woman involved.  I think the one left behind has a harder time, but if you let them know you care, it can work. 

I've been married to a Nukeworker for 7 years now (together for 9 years), and most of the time, he's been gone during the week and home on weekends.  Right now, I get to see him once a month.  It's tough, don't get me wrong, but it works.  I have a good job (it helps to get good benefits), we have a house, I have good friends. I've learned to really enjoy it when we're together, and to take care of things when he's gone.  It helps to have the same cell phone plan!

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2007, 01:09 »
Met my wife about 10 years ago in Phoenix while working at Palo.  She was a college student and we got married very quickly, blind date in the first week of the outage and married by the end of the outage.  I did 4 outages after that and decided that I needed to find something else to do if it had a chance.  After a few years off we decided to give it a try again.  I find that it takes a secure personality to be the spouse that stays home while the other runs the country for several weeks at a time.  We have an agreement that I only work so many weeks/year and if it ever gets to be a problem where we can't compromise, I will stop and go back to a "normal" job.  So far it works great.  I spend more time with the family than I ever did with a "normal" job working 60 hours/week all year.  I spend months at a time with my wife and raising my daughter.

I don't know that we would have had this success if I would have stayed on the road in the beginning.  Now that we are settled and comfortable and have our life goals well defined, it is great.  Not for everyone that is for sure.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

illegalsmile

« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2007, 12:11 »
Welcome to a whole new world  :) There's nothing like traveling with just the two of you, I promise. I've spent days wholed up motel but then I've ventured out and found wonderful sites. I will never forget riding my first city bus to the mall in Monroe MI, LOL
Now there's a girl who knows how to have fun!!!! ;)
Actually, she's right. Sometimes you have to find your joy in the little things.
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2007, 12:12 by illegalsmile »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?