Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu shipyard rct honeypot

Author Topic: shipyard rct  (Read 5644 times)

doghead

shipyard rct
« on: Apr 25, 2005, 11:18 »
After 22 years of working at a naval shipyard as a RCT, I want to get out, or I might get forced out if the present administration gets it way.  Anyway, how do I get into the private nuclear sector, I see all the quals and requirements for HPs at power plants.  What do I need to my foot in the door.   doghead

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: shipyard rct
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2005, 08:03 »
With 22 years, even though it is a shipyard and not a commercial nuke, you should have no problem. Figure out where you want to go, and either contact the utility through it's web site or, if you want to go as a contractor, find out who has the contract and call them. If you have no real preference where you want to go, you can get a copy of the outage list from this site, plan a schedule and contact the staffing company. Alternatey, go to Bartlett's (or DeNuke's, or ...) website and look at what is available. Bartlett has the lion's share of the contracts and a very long discussion of the company can be found in this Forum.

One word of warning... your timing is particularly bad right now, this being the end of the outage season. Next fall may be the earliest you would get any kind of selection to choose from... unless you want to go with the other option of DOE or decomissioning or DOD cleanups which run all year. Each option carries a unique set of qualifications, most of which you should not have a lot of problems with. It is just a matter of which route you want to go and which tests you want to take. Read the posts on this forum for details.

Good luck and welcome to NukeWorker.com!
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

JeffHawk

Re: shipyard rct
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2005, 10:15 »
With that much time in you could go "house" at a commercial plant. You had to know more to pass your 108 exam than is needed to pass a test at a commercial facility. If you go the contract route, call Bartlett and tell them you want to get a rad engineer job. What yard were you in? What work did you do? My time in the yards put me in a position to go beyond teching and do other jobs that paid more. You might be able to do the same thing. If you need contact information post the request here and a lot of people will help. RDTroja was right about going to the web sites for the utilities. Most post their job availabilities online now as well as contact info. The one thing you need to know is that if you start making phone calls, you will get job offers so be ready to go to work when you start "dialing for dollars".

Good luck. Oh and don't be surprised if you get offered more money than you were used to in the yards. That happens out here.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?