Facility & Company Information > Zion

Zion

(1/10) > >>

jakester:
With all of the talk of new plants, and the restart of Brown's Ferry 1, why not restart the Zion plant???

Fermi2:
Browns Ferry never gave up the Operating License. Zion did. It's easier to build a new nuke than to get the license back.

Also the plant was a lemon and the hard core union attitude just about drove it under.

The plant had a capacity fafctor of under 50 % and in 6 years or less they were going to have to replace their S/Gs

Mike

NightCrawler:
"Hard core union attitude drove it under".....that's a good one. 
  That was the big union/nmanagement issue.  The things that ruined Zion were problems on both ends, not just union sided.  Get your facts straight.  I was there.  Were you?

(Personal attacks deleted-RT)

AMU:
I too worked there on three occassions, I cut my teeth in the business at that plant.  There were definitely difficulties on both sides of labor at that plant.  I think it would  be worth looking into the cost of startup vs. building a new facility, if not already studied, even though both options would be expensive.

Fermi2:
Oops, I erred and I'm sorry. I should have been more specific. I implied the Union at ComEd was entirely at fault. It certainly wasn't the only thing thing that decided the plants fate. I know it wasn't. The Union management relations were a big factor and I know I wasn't there, but I do know one of the people who had to make the decision so I know of ALL the factors that went into it.

I did oversimplify on one of the issues and I apologize.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version