Career Path > Navy:Getting Out

Leading ELT on the way out

<< < (2/3) > >>

Fermi2:
I actually just got home. I'm nightshift Management oversight for the Unit Two Outage Fuel Movement. We're done moving fuel and since I had to take a Reactor Theory test yesterday morning then come back on nights they let me go home.

I rather like Nightshift.

Mike

kwicslvr:
Jason,

I got out in March 03 after 12 years as an ELT and instructor at NPTU also.  I was hired on in a Plant Chemistry position first time out.  We only do plant chemistry here were I work.  That includes secondaries, primaries and radioassey along with some aux systems.  As a chemtech over a 5 week period we do 7 days of swings and 7 days of mids the rest of the time you are working days from 6am to 2pm.  You start at 55k but after you are fully qualified (1 1/2 years later) your base is 65k/yr.  After bonuses and overtime, tack on about 15k-35k more a year.   I work for Constellation Energy.  Right now none of our plants are hiring chem techs but Ginna, in upstate NY, is looking to hire operators.  If you are interested just let me know and I can get you the contact info. 

Garrett

Rad Sponge:
Thanks all for your guidance, next question...

After researching the NRRPT and CHP examinations, I overwhelmingly feel like a moron. Wow, there is so much knowledge out there that my LELT/ELT experience merely scratched the surface.

How do I start over again and work towards the professional level of knowledge needed to pass the CHP examination? Can anyone recommend a college program or private training program geared towards the working professional?

aabrams:
Rad Sponge, I too was a LELT overfilling with my vast nuclear knowledge.  Like you I also realized that if I made a puddle with that knowledge, it was barely enough to wet the bottom of my feet.  I don't know if it was a rare act of kindness or not, but when I studied for the NRRPT exam, I went up to the local plant (Millstone) and the training folks were happy to give me some old NRRPT study guides.  Between that and a Golnick book, I didn't have any problems on the exam.  I haven't taken the CHP part 1 yet, but I would imagine a similiar tactic may work.  As for college programs, I know Oregon state has an online bachelors and masters in HP.  Illinois Institute of Technology also has an online masters in HP (no thesis requirement, just take their comprehensive exam or CHP part 1).

PWHoppe:
You can find study guides on this site in the shop, they are very good and will help you tremendously.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version