Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Pay for Junior Decon Tech

Author Topic: Pay for Junior Decon Tech  (Read 32653 times)

TNman

Pay for Junior Decon Tech
« on: May 17, 2005, 11:07 »
Hello I was curious to find out what I could expect to make per hour and per diem as a junior deconnner?

foreverajr

Re: Pay for Junior Decon Tech
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 12:38 »
Granted, it was a few years ago when I took my one and only Jr. Decon job, but I recall making $12 hourly and no per diem.  That was the best I could do with <6 months JR HP time and no Decon time.  I'm sure the rates have gone up some since then, but the per diem thing differs from plant to plant.  Good luck.

alphadude

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 12:42 »
If you get perdiam is usually hovers around the CONUS rate or less. As for jr deconner, since there isnt an ANSI qual for that the pay would be in debate.  I guess a Sr. deconner has done ??? to become a Sr????.  Entry level pay  is around $10 an hour or less for "jr decon".

ageoldtech

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 03:32 »
I remember getting 3.50 per hour and $37 a day. I thought I had hit the jackpot.

JassenB

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 03:56 »
Last fall at my brief stint at a junior decon job during outage I was getting $9.50/hour plus $85/day.

ageoldtech

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 08:07 »
JassenB $9.50 and diem, thats very good money for a Jr. decon position.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 08:47 »
I remember getting 3.50 per hour and $37 a day. I thought I had hit the jackpot.

Showing your age? I remember when Henry started out at Turkey Point as a junior tech, he made 3.50 and $30 per day working 7 - 12's. We thought our ship had come in  :)

ageoldtech

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 04:24 »
Yes, I remember Henry from those days. Times sure have changed, back then the pay was decent and we really didn't work all that hard. Now days it's more with less.
 8)Tell Henry that Hambone says howdie.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 04:27 »
Hambone, will do  :)

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 01:58 »
If you get perdiam is usually hovers around the CONUS rate or less. As for jr deconner, since there isnt an ANSI qual for that the pay would be in debate.  I guess a Sr. deconner has done ??? to become a Sr????.  Entry level pay  is around $10 an hour or less for "jr decon".
What is the difference between a Jr and Sr deconner, technically speaking? 

alphadude

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 06:11 »
who you are related too or know, thats the difference. i guess if you took a NEU test and didnt have the time you could be a deconner? heck if i know??

ageoldtech

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 09:18 »
I was once a jr. decon back in 81. It works about the same way as becoming a Sr. HP, you got to have the weeks, and the pay is better.

deconcuddles

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2005, 08:14 »
I'm a SR deconner and have been in the business now for 16 years.  Things sure have changed!  Remember making 5.50 an hour and 35.50 deim.  Guess as a Jr deconner you lived cheaper than a Sr.  Oh well, the pay and deim have come up some.  All the pay depends on the plant and the contract.  First 6 months are the hardest.  Good luck!!! 

JassenB

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 09:22 »
Based on my own experience, I have to suggest that instead of trying to get into the business as a junior deconner, get some kollege edumacashion under your belt. Rad safety programs are few and far between, health & safety programs are more common. Get some rad training, your 40-hour HAZWOPER, some hands on IH tech experience, and leave your options open.

Pay in the hazardous waste cleanup field is slightly better than nuke and there is a lot more work available. Becoming an OHST (Occupational Health & Safety Technologist) can open a broader scope of doors than sticking strictly to the rad field. Once you've done haz waste cleanup, nuclear decon looks like pretty lazy work. If you *do* do outage decon, don't go without per diem - it's not worth it otherwise.

Of course, depending on your age, I also highly suggest a tour of duty as a Navy nuke.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2005, 03:05 »
What is the difference between a Jr and Sr deconner, technically speaking? 
i dunno whuts current, but it usta be (back ina 90s) that a jr made about 2/3 of a sr deconnerz wage, diem wuz subject to site, but da mostest impotent thingie (technically speaking) wuz the sr deconner hadda tell da jr deconner which side of the scratchy pad went down.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2005, 06:04 »
i dunno whuts current, but it usta be (back ina 90s) that a jr made about 2/3 of a sr deconnerz wage, diem wuz subject to site, but da mostest impotent thingie (technically speaking) wuz the sr deconner hadda tell da jr deconner which side of the scratchy pad went down.

Now that actually made me laugh out loud. Thank you.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

alphadude

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2005, 10:26 »
what the  "H E  double hocky sticks" is a jr deconner?

lowlrc

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2005, 12:56 »
My first jr decon job was $5 & 30. I was fresh out of Bobby Leonard's Nuclear High School in 86' working 6-12' taking home $650 a week.(taxes? I have to pay taxes?) Thought I was going to be rich some day. Silly me.. 

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2005, 01:48 »

Would it be less confusing if it was called 'entry level deconner"? Like for HP techs, there are juniors, seniors, and supervisors in the deconner world. Work as a junior for a while, become a senior... you know the drill.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

alphadude

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2005, 07:23 »
i know the drill, there is no standard for junior deconner thats the point. a deconner is either non-qualified, qualified or qualified and competent.

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2005, 09:31 »

A Junior Decon Tech varies from site to site depending on technical & contractual specifications.  Most sites go by a 2 yr rule - anyone with less than 2 yrs experience in decontamination or related work would be considered a Junior Decon Tech, greater than 2 yrs would be a Senior Decon Tech.  As stated most go by this standard, some don't.  A couple of plants consider 1 yr the cut off mark between Jr and SrDecon, and others 3 yrs.   Basically as a general rule of thumb most plants base their Decon qualification requirements loosely around their HP requirements, most not all.  So if a site requires HP's to be 3.1 (3 yrs exp) then normally they require the Decon Techs to have 3 yrs exp to be a Sr. ,likewise site is an 18.1 site, then the Deconners only need 2 yrs experience to be a Sr, anything less in experience quals as a Jr Deconner.   

As far as what wages are for a Jr Decon Tech - they vary from a low of around $9 or so an hour to a high of 16 or so an hour, like with HP's the rates all vary depending on actual experience, returnee status, etc.  Perdiem is usually, not always, the same as what the HP's get.    Hope this helped clarify things.
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2005, 09:36 »
Hope this helped clarify things.

Actual answers, real numbers, and mention of ranges similar to HP. I would say that should just about answer everything from the thread. Thanks Eric, but we could have meandered for another dozen posts instead!  ;)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

alphadude

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2005, 10:15 »
nice policy, with plenty of loop holes-

the liabilities are just as I said- nonqualified, qualified, qualified competent-  no matter what years you have. You do not let someone with three years of mopping the cavity handle a 40,000 psi hydro laser. Deconners should be hired for documented experience and training cards not time in service. This will lessen any liability the utility will assume because of co-employer responsibilities.

Some one may have all equipment quals signed off and a year experience-this would be the so called "Sr" vs. someone who may have mopped his way to success.   

SAT

The assumption with HPs and operators is that they are qualified competent after a certain time- no such standard exists for the decon industry-either you are qualified/competent or you are not, which is a shame-nothing more dangerous than a deconner with a HEPA vac from the cavity!!!

Every time i contracted in deconners they had to be as qualified as plant personnel with documentation and testing or specifically qualified on the equipment they were using. Otherwise, mop the floor.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2005, 12:30 »

the liabilities are just as I said- nonqualified, qualified, qualified competent-  no matter what years you have. You do not let someone with three years of mopping the cavity handle a 40,000 psi hydro laser. Deconners should be hired for documented experience and training cards not time in service. This will lessen any liability the utility will assume because of co-employer responsibilities.

Some one may have all equipment quals signed off and a year experience-this would be the so called "Sr" vs. someone who may have mopped his way to success.  

SAT

The assumption with HPs and operators is that they are qualified competent after a certain time- no such standard exists for the decon industry-either you are qualified/competent or you are not, which is a shame-nothing more dangerous than a deconner with a HEPA vac from the cavity!!!

Every time i contracted in deconners they had to be as qualified as plant personnel with documentation and testing or specifically qualified on the equipment they were using. Otherwise, mop the floor.

Talk about loop holes -- If you are assuming that operators and HPs are 'qualified competent' after a certain time, you have fallen into a worse trap than giving a deconner a loaded hydrolaser... or a HEPA vac. That is why tests were developed for the postiions that really need a measured degree of competence such as HPs and operators. Deconners are supposed to be covered by HPs when they do their jobs. The most 'qualified' deconners are meter qualified to dose rate trash bags they collect. If you put any deconner in a position that he can get into trouble with a HEPA vac from the cavity, it is your own fault. No matter how qualified as deconners, they are still required to have HP coverage.

I have said before many times that a good crew of deconners is worth their weight in gold. But I would never send them off to any job that could get them in trouble and they would know full well what is expected of them before they start a job (like any other worker). The more experienced crew members lead and coach the less experienced and the good get weeded from the bad. Deconners are a skilled labor force and they learn their craft by experience, not by qualification and training. Trying to impose a qualification process is expensive and unnecessary. The vast majority of the tasks they perform are field taught skills and tested by field observation. Granted, anyone given control of a potentailly deadly machine like a hyrolaser needs training and some sort of demonstration of skills to be allowed to use it. But that is a specific skill that carries a significant safety risk. So is using a safety harness, which requires training and testing at each site and is not necessarily transferrable from one site to another. Having a 'qual card' for it would be as useless once a person left the site where he or she got it as having a qual card for a safety harness... each site would want proff that they can perform to the standards at that site and would (and should) make them re-qualify.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 12:33 by RDTroja »

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2005, 01:20 »
SAT

Not my policy, or the companies - this "policy" was in place amongst the Utilities long before I started in this business and will probably be here long after I'm gone...

as far hiring based on documented experience and training cards that’s what we try to do - if a site requests that Decon techs have a certain type experience for a crew then that’s what we try to find - if they give us a blanket order for a crew then that’s what we give them, a blanket crew.  From there the individuals should be getting placed by the supervisors where they'll do the best. Just like with HP's, the Deconners will get assigned to areas and work details that the experience detailed in their resumes would reflect.  Yes, I'll admit that some times, as with HP's, deconners are put into areas and work crews that they have never worked and into situations that they've never dealt with prior. That’s all part of the job and most would call it gaining more experience and becoming qualified to handle more types of situations. 

As far as handling any type of Hydro Laser, Bartlett, and I can only speak for Bartlett and no other company, has a its own training program that everyone that is assigned to a hydro lasing team must go thru, from the pump and hose techs to the one wielding the wand - no training, no go on the crew -

Lets face it the number of techs in this business has dwindled in the past 15 or so years, thereby weakening the ranks of what you consider "qualified Deconners" - the only way to get others qualified is to give them the training and the work, sometimes those come hand in hand, OJT -

well enough of my ranting - I'll admit not everyone out there is going to be satisfied with everyone we as vendors supply for whatever reason - all we as vendors can do is strive to put the best qualified technicians into the positions given to us by our clients to fill based upon our client's experience and contractual requirements.

Eric
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

alphadude

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2005, 03:52 »
my perspective is from the reviewer of contractor resumes and utility side using INPO approved task performance manuals with typical guidelines established by SAT and accreditation guidelines. Deconners are only qualified when they meet the task qualifications established by that utility and that includes (eg)  operating a meter to dose rate garbage which ties into DOT and part 61 regulations for radioactive waste management. And yes, after a certain time period technicians and operators are expected to meet certain specifications and training. This is required to maintain accreditation from ACAD and INPO. the criteria established by contractor companys for marketing purposes may be somewhat different than what a utility considers prudent to manage risk associated with co-employer situations, so checks and balances are established.

Qualified competent means SAT, testing, certification, and task performance with verification and documentation of such. Tasks may be transfered depending of the degree of detail the utility wishes to undergo. We buy that method from vendors all the time...

feget the road stuff what u gets from the road is what u gets... caveat emptor
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 03:56 by alphadude »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2005, 05:27 »
my perspective is from the reviewer of contractor resumes and utility side using INPO approved task performance manuals with typical guidelines established by SAT and accreditation guidelines. Deconners are only qualified when they meet the task qualifications established by that utility and that includes (eg)  operating a meter to dose rate garbage which ties into DOT and part 61 regulations for radioactive waste management.

My perspective is from that of an INPO Certified Instructor... deconners are not (or at least were not as of 2002) in the accredited training program and therefore had no SAT analysys done. If your program spent the time and money for it, good for you. It was not an industry practice at the time, and I can see no valid reason for it now except to justify instructor hours.

feget the road stuff what u gets from the road is what u gets... caveat emptor

If that is an insult to road techs, thanks tons, but you are showing a distinct lack of experience (or maybe just tolerance). I have worked in a whole lot of plants as a contractor and as a house instructor (among other positions in-house), and I too, have reviewed a lot of resumes and I have seen good and bad techs on the road and in house. The house techs tend to know more about their plant and have less overall experience... not a slam, just a result of staying in one place all the time and dealing with a more limited set of problems.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2005, 05:58 »
eric_bartlett.... t'anks fer yer input from a contracting office view, it's appreciated as it show that what the customer asks for, the customer gets, or in udder werds, ya gets what ya pays fer.   it also shows that what yer liability issues are, ya ensure against, or in udder werds, ya trains what ya needs.  althow this is a basic in the business werld, itz amazing that peeple still haven't got the hang of the philosophy.
rdtroja..... kudos fer yer amazing ability to show restraint and loving language usage. 

this place wood be a sad place without both yer inputs, 'n my hat's (or hood, as the case may be) off to the both of ya!
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

alphadude

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2005, 08:03 »
decontamination is part of the health physics programs or can be part of maintenance programs, historically they have a tpm and are managed as part of the health physics/rad waste program. we included it as part of total risk assessment since decontamination can have effects on waste disposal, RCRA, and safety related equipment.  maybe im the only INPO certified instructor to include decontamination as part of the health physics since they perform special tasks on safety related items which if performed incorrectly welll...  and use meters to dose rate garbage. if your program doesnt have decontamination as part of the HP perhaps it should be included. When Bartlet techs were used we qualified them on the tpm and sent them to training just like the other plant deconners. the only time we waivered any training is when the vendor supplied training documentation on their equipment.  The program was accredited under Rad Waste and still is.

ok so i only have 35 years of nuke experience. worked 12 commercial facilities,4 DOE sites, 5 D&D, and 5 start ups... ill get the hang of it before i retire in 3 years.  :P oh i forgot the time i got arrested as a spy in nigeria during the gulf war too...

when in doubt-poke it with a stick
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 03:46 by alphadude »

haroldart

« Reply #29 on: Mar 16, 2006, 01:07 »
Im  not sure what a jr should get,It really does depend on the plant and the contract, Just be careful because people will talk behind your back, and smile in your face . Education is the key, no one can deni that...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?