Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Shift Differential honeypot

Author Topic: Shift Differential  (Read 14654 times)

JnyMac

Shift Differential
« on: May 25, 2005, 12:07 »
I am posting this question to the house shift HP and Aux Operators out there.  We are trying to negotiate our Shift Differential pay.  I would like to know what you guys and gals get for Shift Differential straight and overtime?  What plant you work at?  Are you union or not?  Thanks for the help.   

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: Shift Differential
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 06:36 »
I am posting this question to the house shift HP and Aux Operators out there.  We are trying to negotiate our Shift Differential pay.  I would like to know what you guys and gals get for Shift Differential straight and overtime?  What plant you work at?  Are you union or not?  Thanks for the help.   

At Callaway I believe it's around $.91/hr for rotating shift component.  I can get a copy of our contract to home in on that exactly for you.  Maintenance, all RP techs, I&C techs, and Operations up through Reactor Operators are represented by Local 148 of International Union of Operating Engineers.  If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.  I'll be happy to answer any of them.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 01:51 »
At Fermi the NLOs and Maintenance people were Union. Just before I left the House and Chem Techs became Union too.

IIRC they were in UWUA Local 223.

Afternoon shift premium was $1/Hr, Night Shift was $2/hr. Since they were on 12s they they either worked at Day Shift or Night Shift Rates.

These premiums also applied to supervisors.

I'm not sure what it is at TVA.

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 11:22 »
I remember it being under $1 at FP&L.

My aunt explained real shift differential: She gets 12% differential Friday, Saturday, and Sunday; 13% differential nights. You can combine them for 25% differential.  :o

I know, you want to know what utility. Sadly, this is a hospital (and rather a common one at that). They know many people would rather not work nights and weekends; this lets those who REALLY want the money have it!

(Hold your breath for a nuclear plant to do it. But it would be nice!)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

hillbilly

« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2008, 10:59 »
Anyone know the shift schedule For PSEG Salem site.I'm a new member to the forum and like all the info. Most of my experience has been in the C.T. and Combined Cycle field.Offered a job as an N.E.O. in Salem and was wondering what I was getting into.Any info. would be appreciated.

Offline zilla

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2008, 02:27 »
Anyone know the shift schedule For PSEG Salem site.I'm a new member to the forum and like all the info. Most of my experience has been in the C.T. and Combined Cycle field.Offered a job as an N.E.O. in Salem and was wondering what I was getting into.Any info. would be appreciated.
Last I knew they were on a 5 shift rotation (12 hour) with a 7 day off.  4 weeks on shift, one in training and no relief week.  I don't have a copy of the schedule though.  1.5X for OT, or 2.0 for OT on your last scheduled day-off of the week.  I worked there as an NEO straight out of the Navy. 

Any job is a good job, but hopefully you're an east coast guy and used to that attitude and type of area.  Very in your face and confrontational back when I worked there in the 90's.  Pretty much everyone hated each other and heavy union, "we don't want to work if we don't have to" type attitude.  Not my cup of tea and being a midwest guy, I got the heck out and went elsewhere.  If nothing else, it pays well and there was lots of OT if you wanted it.

hillbilly

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2008, 07:21 »
thanks for the info.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2008, 03:44 »
I used to get less than a dollar an hour premium for afternoon or midnight shifts.  It was NOT subject to time and a half or double-time.  Straight time for the first 8 of the scheduled workdays (except Sunday which was time and 1/4).  Overtime was time and a half on those days (time and 3/4 on Sunday).  We got time and a half on the sixth day (time and 3/4 if Saturday was day 6 and double time if you worked over 8 on a Saturday day 6) and double time on day 7 (double and 1/4 if Sunday was day 7).  We got paid 8 straight on holidays plus time and a half for working the first 8 and double time after 8.
We also got 5% above our pay grade for working at the nuclear site until they came up with new pay scales just for the nuke plant.  On a regular week of rotating shift, there was a hidden extra hour (40 minutes at time and a half) for the week to accommodate turnover time, but it never showed on the pay stub or the timesheet.  We just got the money in the check except for vacation and training weeks.

That was 10 years ago, but backshift differential was never a big part of the paycheck.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2008, 06:27 »
Shift Differential = $1.65/hour

Plus, if Sunday is an assigned shift, there is a 35% Sunday Differential.

These are cumulative...assigned Sunday backshift = Pay Rate + 35% + $1.65  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?