Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu A new Sensation honeypot

Author Topic: A new Sensation  (Read 5440 times)

Rad Sponge

A new Sensation
« on: May 28, 2005, 08:25 »
If you don't know me by now, I'm a 9 year Sub LELT type on the way out soon.

I just had my third interview since starting this transition process and will be accepting a job as a Health Physicist...

Just a second ago, as I was fumbling around the house and thinking about nothing in particular, a new sensation washed over me and I felt compeled to share this.

I am being treated like a professional for the first time in my life. Not to discount my Naval service, but I have never felt like a recognized professional in quite the same way.

When I was dressing for my third interview (in my new tailored suit), I did not recognize the person in the mirror. Wasn't there supposed to be coveralls or dungarees in the reflection? Who was this person? It just didn't seem natural.

During the site visit I met and conversed with people far more educated than me, but I was interviewing to be a peer, not a subordinant, and was treated as such. When still a sea-going nuke there was always this limiting device out there, somewhat veiled, but tangible enough to keep me in my place.

Those of you that have made the transition, have you felt this before?

Offline MLew44

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: A new Sensation
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 10:44 »
Yeah, but you'll get over it soon...

Find a nice place in the corner of the closet for the suit, and don't throw away the coveralls.  :)

Rad Sponge

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 11:39 »
I hear you. I do get to wear a shirt and tie everyday.

My coveralls: They will be offered up to the gods along with my utilities during a mid-night fire ceremony. I'm keeping my dress uniforms for sentimental reasons, but the funky boat clothes will be returned to the earth.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 01:41 »
Hey what kind of position are you getting? Tech or physicist?

Good luck. You'll enjoy your time in the commercial industry, and believe it or not you'll miss your Navy buds a LOT.

My three best friends are guys I met in the Navy. We've visited each other many times a year over the past 15 years.

And believe it or not, in 10 years or so you'll get nostalgic about the Navy, especially if you have a little girl like mine who is curious about the Navy and what you did while you were in it.

Mike

Rad Sponge

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 03:47 »
Tech or physicist.

The official position title is Health Physicist , but I am sure I'll be getting "dirty" as I learn the ropes of a new industry. I expect that. Baby steps Daniel-san.

Nostalgia: What's ironic is that my best bud since boot camp is living about 100 miles away. We went our separate ways after Protoype: Him fast attack, and me boomer (guess who is more bitter?).  He is now an Ops manager for a university reactor and surrounded by Navy nukes. When I visited his work, I met a guy from our NPS class, small world.

I may be a closet idealist, but I have enough realism to prepare me for a future of ups and downs-as to be expected.

But I am gladly trading in my trash-can nucleonics stool for a desk.

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 05:59 »
Actually don't lose the idealism, if you stick to your guns idealism, sprinkled with a tiny bit of cynical optimism will take you a long way, and help your plant and your coworkers. Just learn to ride the sine wave, and straighten it out wherever you can. That's about the best advice I can give!.

What plant by the way?

Mike

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2005, 02:15 »
I just returned from Davis-Besse,after taking the test.  I am told that I passed it.  I am excited and hope to get a job soon.  Can I use these scores for other utilities if I do not get an offer from First Energy?

shayne

« Reply #7 on: Jun 18, 2005, 07:14 »
If you go to another utility, ask them.  Each company may do things differently and have different policies.  It is best to ask to see what they are willing to do.  If they are willing to accept the test results from your exam, Davis Besse may have policy of not pass testing information on.  I don't know what Davis Besse policy is.

Always be prepaired to take the exam again.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?