Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Half-value layers

Author Topic: Half-value layers  (Read 20139 times)

opus_two

Half-value layers
« on: Jun 15, 2005, 10:38 »
I looking for half-value, quarter-value, and tenth-value layers numbers for CS-137

For lead and Tungsten shelding

Thanks

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Half-value layers
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2005, 10:30 »
The numbers we use here at work are in HVL and we deal pretty exclusively with Cs-137 and some Co-60.  Our "cheat sheets" state HVL for lead is 0.25 in. and 0.16" for tungsten.  Using the given equations from Rennhack's link you can solve for QVL and TVL.  For QVL I got 0.5" for lead and 0.32" for Tungsten.  For TVL I got 1.25" for lead and 0.8" for tungsten.  Let me know if the math is wrong or if my assumptions on HVL were rounded since that could lead to a discrepancy. 

opus_two

« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2005, 05:22 »
Thanks for the info!!

Its a start.. It is hard to find tables on the internet that give hvl, etc for various elements and energies

radgal

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2005, 11:09 »
Actually for Cs 137 the TVL for lead is .82 inches (2.1 cm) and fo Co 60 the TVL for lead is 1.57 in (4.0cm)
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2005, 11:36 by Rad Gal »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2005, 12:53 »
Lead (11.35 g/cm )

Photon Energy(keV)    500  HVL (cm) 0.38
Photon Energy(keV)  1000  HVL (cm) 0.86
Photon Energy(keV)  1500  HVL (cm) 1.2
Photon Energy(keV)  2000  HVL (cm) 1.3
Photon Energy(keV)  3000  HVL (cm) 1.5

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2005, 01:09 »
Hey my math works if you are willing to forget Log rules in math.  Like since 2^n=4.....then n=2

Therefore, 2^n=10.....n=5 since before 2*2=4 then 2*5=10.  It has to be.

But hey lets try it the right way and 2^n=10....n=3.32.., then from a HVL of 0.25in you get 0.83in. approximately for a TVL of lead for Cs-137.
TVL for Tungsten becomes 0.53in fir Cs-137.

Luckily for me I dont have to admit to error due to my disclaimer in my post :) :) :)

Reminds me of a story.  NASA buillds a rocket (I believe to orbit some distant planet or something like that)and they have one set of enginneers calculate one set of numbers and give said numbers to another group of engineers.  But, since none of them had attended Naval Nuclear Power School and missed points on a test for their mistake, their math made them "Unitless" men in their work.  So they missed their mark and found out one group used english units the other thought they were in metric.  They probably are still out there looking for their "unit"....of measurement of course....and a new job.

opus_two

« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2005, 01:54 »
Thanks

I am rebuilding attentuators on one of the irradiator that uses two CS137 sources and three attenuators.  The HVL atteuator has the lead insert beat up in it so I want to replace it with a tungsten insert. While I was replacing it we decided to replace all three attenuators instead. The hvl, qvl and tvl.

So I am chasing down tungten values.

I located some alloy values for tungsten from Wolfmet.com at a density of 19.3 vs Lead at 11.3

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2005, 02:04 »
Reminds me of a story.  NASA buillds a rocket (I believe to orbit some distant planet or something like that)and they have one set of enginneers calculate one set of numbers and give said numbers to another group of engineers.  But, since none of them had attended Naval Nuclear Power School and missed points on a test for their mistake, their math made them "Unitless" men in their work.  So they missed their mark and found out one group used english units the other thought they were in metric.  They probably are still out there looking for their "unit"....of measurement of course....and a new job.

That was a Mars lander. Calculations in meters, measurements in feet, results in 'excessive landing speed at incorrect angle' otherwise known as crash. Oops... looks like NASA needs a little three-part-communications training (as well as attention to detail, peer checking, STAR, etc). Guess they got the STAR -- as in 'S**t That Ain't Right!
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?