Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Pharmacy Career Possible? honeypot

Author Topic: Pharmacy Career Possible?  (Read 7092 times)

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Pharmacy Career Possible?
« on: Mar 30, 2006, 10:35 »
I hope this fits under this topic but I had a question. Does anyone know how tough it would be to land a pharmecutical job as a pharmicist with Nuke experience in the Navy?

Fermi2

Re: Pharmacy Career Possible?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2006, 05:28 »
I hope this fits under this topic but I had a question. Does anyone know how tough it would be to land a pharmecutical job as a pharmicist with Nuke experience in the Navy?

You need a degree in pharmacy.

Mike

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2006, 08:17 »
Ouch, well i got a correct answer and it was my fault for not being direct. I am the same way with answers so I should have saw that coming. Well what I meant to say was, How diffucult would it be to obtain a pharmacy degree with my Nuc credits and qualifications.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2006, 08:37 »
You will have at least 90 semester hours, most of which will be electives or totally irrelevant to a pharmacy degree.
If your goal in life is to be a Pharmacist, WTF are you doing in the Navy nuke program?
You can get from Maine to Venezuela by way of Alaska - or you can just go straight to Venezuela.  But aren't you really just taking two consecutive trips to different places?  Only an idiot would consider Alaska to be "on the way".

What I'm saying is: if you have a goal, take the most direct route toward it.  If you have two distinctly different goals, such as being a Navy nuke and being a pharmacist, take them one at a time.  Finish one and THEN ask, "how do I get there from here?"

BUT!!!!! If you are a young person who is confronted with a wide array of possibilities, take some time to chill before you jump at any of them.  I'm no mind reader, but I get the feel that you are starting to discover that there are a lot of things that you might like to do with your life.  Here's the trick - decide first, do next.  Always keep it in that order.  Decide.  Do.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2006, 08:46 »
Beercourt,  you always deliver good info. I really appreciate it. Well I am dead set on being a Nuc and want nothing as much. I was more curious than anything.

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2006, 09:52 »
As distasteful as it was I called my ex brother in law tonight. He has a degree in pharmacy, and used to be a pharmacist until he realized he'd make more money selling cars. He's familiar with the Navy Nuke program because of me.

He said at the MOST you might get 8 credits out of the way but to do so they'd require some sort of test out.

Just wondering why the heck you'd ask a question like this on a nuke board? I will admit it inspied me to go on a board devoted to shakespearian scholars to ask about how much Beowulf I'd have to read in order to get a medical degree, then again I'm weird.

Mike
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2006, 09:54 by Broadzilla »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2006, 12:31 »
it ain't gonna be any more difficult than becoming a pharmacist with a diesel background.   yer gonna hafta study pharmacy.  with a nuke navy bkg, you might be a bit ahead of yer classmates with isotope familiarity, then again, most of the nuke meds don't deal with fission products.  then, again, the nuke navy path will be far more constructive than the recreational drug usage path.  'n more fiscally rewarding, too.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

visserjr

« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2006, 08:58 »
Well, from talks with head hunters, it is real easy to get jobs in pharmacuticals sales. If thats anyhelp. odd thing, one wanted me to push an arthritis medication called mobic. Funny thing is though Mobic didn't work for me an he didn't like it when I told him Celebrex does. I guess I am curious what drives a person to want to be a pharmacist? Having stood in line numerous times at the pharmacy, I can honestly say I have never seen a happy one.

John

Beta_effect

« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2006, 12:30 »
http://nuclearpharmacy.uams.edu/default.asp

It is not as outlandish as it may sound. It is not unreasonable at all to use your nuclear tech background as means of entering the medical world. There is a shortage not only of nuclear pharmacists, but also medical physicists and nuclear med techs. There have been many a person with B.S. in Physics or Nuclear Engineering that have gone the medical route-it will just take you awhile if you are currently enlisted. Don't get too caught up in the power plant world-there are other opportunities out there.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2006, 09:13 »
Well, from talks with head hunters, it is real easy to get jobs in pharmacuticals sales.

pharm sales ain't necessarily being a pharmacist.  pharmaceutical sales very well could be operating out of the trunk of yer car (minivan) selling pharms to the pharmacy and doctors offices.  or it could be an inside sales position with a phone earpiece as a quasi-permanent installation when in yer cubicle.  or a bunch of other scenarios, the least of which could be construed as working the corner fer j-rhome. ;)
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?