Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NukeWorker Insurance honeypot

Poll

Would you prefer to get your Insurance through NukeWorker?

Yes.
No.

Author Topic: NukeWorker Insurance  (Read 49769 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
NukeWorker Insurance
« on: Jun 18, 2005, 04:23 »
I have been approached by MANY people, suggesting that I offer group insurance for nuclear workers.  In recent months, the request has come more frequently from more sources.  I believe that we can work out a deal where all nuclear workers can get a group rate as NukeWorker members.  This rate should be better than what most companies can offer.  In fact, I'm proposing that while you are working, your company take the money they would normally pay towards your insurance, and send it to us to cover your plan (pre tax).  Then, when you get laid off, you won't have to worry about cobra, and setting up new insurance.  And you won't have to worry about the different plans from different companies.

I'll get some rates for different levels of coverage as well.  Some people only want major medical with a large deductible; others want full coverage with a small deductible.  We will offer several options.

What does everyone think?  I know less than nothing about insurance, but I am willing to make this happen, to help everyone out.  How many people are interested in this?
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2005, 04:30 by Rennhack »

jwhabacker

Re: NukeWorker Insurance
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2005, 08:14 »
Never really thought about it but, this might be a very good and benifical idea.  Thanks for considering it.

Jules

« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2005, 08:54 »
I think it would be great if you could do something like that for everyone. It is so hard to find and keep reasonable health insurance in this business. Thank you for always thinking of ways to help us.

Offline makua13

• Light User
  • Live Aloha
« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2005, 09:01 »
This insurance issue is a major concern to my age group of RP (>50) I wish to work fewer outages and the Cobra costs are enormous.  The other part of this is once in an insurance program, such as BCBS from Bartlett, that also locks a worker into that Contract Co.  If we were able to have our own insurance it would lift a large burden and give us more career options and flexability.  Just make sure this is a good company that is recognized world over.  With Techs. living in the Phillipines, Bahamas, France, and even Switzerland, it must be a world player in the insurance market.  All that said my wife and I are anxious to climb aboard this insurance train.
Live Aloha

Offline Everett Chretien, STS

• Nuclear Nomad
  • Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2005, 09:40 »
Sounds like a wonderful solution to the COBRA problem.;D    Everytime your laid off, your offered the "Benefit" of COBRA at the affordable rate of most of your unemplyment check. :-\  It would relieve some of the stress over how to maintain appropriate health care between assignments.
Isn't life just grand?

randydp

« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2005, 10:41 »
Dang good Idea! I bet all the companys would like a chance to be rid of the paperwork dealing with insurance for the temporary workers. I would think there would be many ins. companys  that would bid on such a potential deal.  Get us a great one.

spw

« Reply #6 on: Jun 18, 2005, 11:17 »
I think this would be great for a lot of us.  Great Idea!  Please keep us posted on the progress.

wglewallen

« Reply #7 on: Jun 18, 2005, 11:34 »
Yes, I am very much interested--working with some of the other companies, if you get the insurance with them usually have have a 90 day grace period by that time the outage is over with . Then you have to pay high rates that is outrageous (COBRA). That is if you want to be covered.   

blu_lite

« Reply #8 on: Jun 19, 2005, 12:04 »
I think it's a terrific idea.  I'd love to get into a group that can give me better rates and probably better coverage than I have now.  I saw my health insurance go up $50/mo at the first anniversary date and the same again 6 months later.  Second anniversary is approaching fast.  There is no end in sight.  It's also important to have insurance that travels where you do, whether you travel for work or change your residence.  Do you know that many plans are local or regional, and that if you move out of the area you need to reapply?  If you have developed a chronic condition, you may be unable to get insurance at any price.

That said, my 2-person operation once had insurance for my secretary through a professional organization.  They ultimately got out of that business because it became a tremendous hassle.  Because she had health problems, the only individual policy we could find after that cost $750/mo (it's complicated, but a 2-person company in Tennessee must have both people insured in order to get a "group" rate--then that rate is based on the health status of the two individuals who form the group--in this case I was insured under my husband's policy). At any rate, one of the problems is that such professional groups tend to accumulate the less healthy individuals, which ultimately drive the premium costs up a lot.  If you have a large population of 40- and 50-yr olds, the 20- and 30-yr olds are going to find individual policies much cheaper, so won't tend to join the group. The young healthy folks are the ones you need to keep everyone's rate down.  On the other hand, the avoidance of paying for COBRA becomes compelling after the first time one is laid off.

How are you going to limit the group membership?  I don't do field nuke work--all of my work is in the office (I'm not even badged).  Will you set up a membership organization and charge dues?  Will you have underwriting requirements that would prevent high-risk individuals from joining the group?

I encourage you to look into the possiblities, but I suspect you will find it more challenging than you expect.  Do keep us informed about what you come up with.

gatornorm1958

« Reply #9 on: Jun 19, 2005, 12:50 »
Great idea, not sure how affordable we can get it but anything is worth trying so we can continue coverage while unemployed. As far as getting coverage where ever we happen to be working that should not be too difficult. Most companies are at least nationwide. I am also a travelling nurse and most of those travel companies have insurance that is valid across the country. What happens in different countries may be an entirely different story and you may run into some snags an that end. Wish the best to everyone.

Norm

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #10 on: Jun 19, 2005, 06:24 »
This is a Great Idea X 1E+10! 

I don't mean to interject any negativeness on the Topic, but I think we would be better served by keeping it as simple as possible.  National coverage vs. International coverage!  I'm not familiar with the mechanics of the insurance industry, but Internation sounds a little pricey to me. TRUE, their are a number of techs who live outside of this country, but most of those countries have some sort of Social Medical Program.  The mear mention of an agenda, outside of the US, may limit the barganing power Mike is trying to establish.

Mike, if you need some help on the project, drop me an IM!

RG 

diliigaf

« Reply #11 on: Jun 19, 2005, 07:05 »
8)

Mike,
               I think that is a great idea... I'm with Radghost as far as keeping it simple and keeping the the cost down.
               If you chose to live in foreign countries so be it, let that country help you out...Those of us state side should not have to incur the cost, (if there is a difference in the expense.)  I hope you have success in finding this, it's long over due...

DrBillCorcoran

« Reply #12 on: Jun 19, 2005, 10:05 »
We are a two-person company. The latest challenge was when The Hartford told us that they would not renew our commercial/general liability insurance. We had been with them since 1993 with zero claims.

Our (former) agent put in a lot of effort, but could not find an insurance company that would insure us for less than $MAJORBUCKS!!

We also tried USAA (They go through The Hartford.), ASSE, ASQ, etc. No joy! All companies said that they did not like nuclear work. One specifically said that they would not insure any company that worked for the Yucca Mountain Project. Another singled out a different client as a problem.

Eventually we went through a colleague's agent and were able to locate less coverage than we had at three times the price we were paying The Hartford.

We now have coverage through June 30, 2006.

I would love to hear from someone with a small nuclear "C corporation" who has some insurance ideas.

Also, perhaps Nukeworker could include commercial/general liability in their insurance discussions.

Happy Fathers' Day to the nuke fathers out there.

Bill Corcoran
860-285-8779

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Jun 19, 2005, 10:13 »
I don't think international insurance is feasible, but we are looking at all options.

Please continue to share your thoughts; including what you think is important and potential pitfalls.  As I said, I know nothing about insurance, but I am willing to help everyone on this matter.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Jun 19, 2005, 10:15 »
Bill, you are an "Environmental" company, not a "Nuclear" company.  Thats the trick.

saxman

« Reply #15 on: Jun 19, 2005, 10:47 »
I personally think this is a great idea! It would be a SUPER convenience and would allow us to have year round insurance without the rip-off of cobra. Thanks for thinking of your fellow nukeworkers!!!

barnoandkato

« Reply #16 on: Jun 19, 2005, 11:31 »
This is a fantastic idea.  I would jump on this in a heart beat if the rates are reasonable.  My other half is also a tech and I know he would go for it also.  It is awful when we are laid off that we don't have insurance.  Hope you are successfull in finding a good policy. 

maggie352000

« Reply #17 on: Jun 19, 2005, 12:00 »
I would be interested. I can't afford the Cobra. So I do without. Make it happen.

Len

« Reply #18 on: Jun 19, 2005, 12:07 »
Great Idea! I am fortunate in that my better half works for Wally-World and I am covered under her policy. They do change providers frequently and currently the policy is not as good as last year. John Deere is in the insurance business now, and the two times I had coverage with them it was reasonable and very good. This is not a small undertaking, and I wish you well with it. Keep up the great work! Len

alt1

« Reply #19 on: Jun 19, 2005, 12:20 »
Hey all!
I've been on both sides of the issue, and I can say for a fact that it is tough and expensive to get good health insurance.
If I remember correctly the law changed recently such that small companies band together and negotiate the same rates as large companies. If we pool premiums we can be a self administered program. Depends upon how many people we sign up. Also, would  this include family coverage as well? I could always get coverage for myself, but not my wife. Because my wife has multiple sclerosis, and every other osis there is in the medical dictionary individual policies are out of the question unless you pay for "special policies", which are very high dollar! Like everyone has been saying this can get real complicated real fast!

Dan_E.

« Reply #20 on: Jun 19, 2005, 05:21 »
You might be able to couple a 401K plan with the insurance. Possibilities could include a "cafe plan" allowing individuals to modify the plan to suit their individual needs: deductibles, catastrophic only, etc. and the 401K does not need to be a level weekly/monthly amount. People could stuff it when working and take a break when not. Have you already contacted multiple agents for offers?

Sorry, I did not proofread this post, "401K does  not  need to be a level ..."
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2005, 12:35 by Dan_E. »

Offline makua13

• Light User
  • Live Aloha
« Reply #21 on: Jun 19, 2005, 07:34 »
When you decide to search insurance companies, one thought...Bartlett and Numanco are both using Blue Cross Blue Shield..if you could use same company than the (already) insured workers could just transfer and would not have to go through the 240 days of no coverage with a new provider.  But whichever company, ask if they will accept a letter of coverage and thereby an immediate status of full coverage.
Live Aloha

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #22 on: Jun 19, 2005, 09:46 »
You might be able to couple a 401K plan with the insurance. Possibilities could include a "cafe plan" allowing individuals to modify the plan to suit their individual needs: deductibles, catastrophic only, etc. and the 401K does need to be a level weekly/monthly amount. People could stuff it when working and take a break when not. Have you already contacted multiple agents for offers?
So far all I have done is sent out the email to everyone to see if there was interest.  We will begin looking into it this week to see what is reasonable, and what is not.  I prefer Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Etna... But we will have to see what happens.

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
  • PAYING THE COST TO BE THE BOSS!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: Jun 20, 2005, 12:00 »
Sounds like a great idea!!! You also may want to look into stop gap insurance this is major medical with a extreme deductable like $5000.00 to $10,000.00. The advatage is very low premiums but you're covered for major illness usally up to $5,000,000.00
Early to bed, 13 hours on nights, makes you tired, wealthy and a night crawler!!!!

aquafur

« Reply #24 on: Jun 20, 2005, 09:05 »
I have been approached by MANY people, suggesting that I offer group insurance for nuclear workers.  In recent months, the request has come more frequently from more sources.  I believe that we can work out a deal where all nuclear workers can get a group rate as NukeWorker members.  This rate should be better than what most companies can offer.  In fact, I'm proposing that while you are working, your company take the money they would normally pay towards your insurance, and send it to us to cover your plan (pre tax).  Then, when you get laid off, you won't have to worry about cobra, and setting up new insurance.  And you won't have to worry about the different plans from different companies.

I'll get some rates for different levels of coverage as well.  Some people only want major medical with a large deductible; others want full coverage with a small deductible.  We will offer several options.

What does everyone think?  I know less than nothing about insurance, but I am willing to make this happen, to help everyone out.  How many people are interested in this?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?