Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Decisions
honeypot

Author Topic: Decisions  (Read 6514 times)

tinkerlow

Decisions
« on: Jun 20, 2005, 01:05 »
I'm at prototype right now and within the next couple weeks we are suppose to be making out our dream sheets. I have a pretty good idea where I want to go but before I actually put it to pen and paper I'd like to get some opinions. My first choice would be the Bush and my second would be the Vinson, 'Why?' you may ask, one very simple reason, my daughter, she's almost seven months and my life. So I want to be with her as much as possible. My graduation date is Nov 11th (or something like that) and Navy needs permitting I hope I'll get ELT school and graduation from there in mid-Feb. So my first question is, when will the Bush start it's second manning (I believe that's what it's called, when they take unqualified Nukes)? My second question is, what will life be like on a pre-com, as an ELT or a MM3? I can't seem to get much of a straight answer from anyone. My third and final question, for now, is, are there any other ships I should consider for this type of duty, as in considered sea duty but really is a shore duty?

~MM3 Marlow

BTW I'm a female. So if there are any other females who post here I would kinda like to know if and how life differs from our male counter-parts at sea.

Feel free to e-mail me if you don't want to entire Nuke community reading your opinions. brmikimarlow@yahoo.com

taterhead

Re: Decisions
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2005, 01:50 »
Ok, straight cheese here: :)

For your first question:  You won't be getting the Bush :(.  The nuclear manning message, which I have heard from pretty reliable sources should be out this week, will not begin to man up until NEXT July (2006).   Trust me, with a Nov (or even Feb IF you get ELT school) grad date, you are not even close...I can pretty safely say that you can put that one to bed.

I am not sure about Vinson manning, but it is your only shot at exclusive shipyard duty.  The other ships will have shipyard periods, but none like the Vinson.

One of the unfortunate facts of military life is time away from family.  That's why they call it "sacrifice", as you will likely find out.  It isn't easy...as an MM2, I had to leave my 3 day old son for a deployment..you have been lucky to have the time you have with her.  You won't be alone in your hardship: many in your division, department, and ship will be leaving loved ones behind. Wanting to spend as much time as possible with your family makes you exactly the same as millions who serve in the military.   Make the most of the time you have with your daughter now, and do your best to prepare yourself for later.

Now, for the decision.  Really, it's an East Coast/West Coast decision.  That is likely as good as you will get as far as choice.  Sure, you can write down what you want, and the detailer will do his best to put folks where they want to go, but common sense tells us that he can't put everyone on the exact ship they want.  It's a numbers game...there are 4 West Coast Carriers and 5 East Coast Carriers, with the Vinson in refueling.  You can do the math and find out that there is a slightly better chance of getting Norfolk if you want it.  However, it is more likely to get the coast you want than the exact ship.  When I got out of Prototype some years ago, I got my second choice...Everett, WA.  Loved it!

I promised you the straight cheese, so there it is.  If you are still in doubt about the Bush, there should be some kind of GENADMIN message by the end of the month laying out dates for the Precom manning.  My sources are pretty good. ;)

Taylor (MMC)

taterhead

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2005, 03:17 »
1.  THE NUCLEAR ENLISTED MANNING INCREMENT DATES FOR PCU GEORGE
     BUSH (PCU-77) ARE AS FOLLOWS:
A.  INCREMENT II JUL06. (61 ENLISTED PERSONNEL TO ATTEND JUL06
    DESIGN SCHOOL IN WEST MIFFLIN PA (PITTSBURGH) AND 87 PERSONNEL NOT
    ATTENDING DESIGN SCHOOL).
B.  INCREMENT III DEC06. (115 PERSONNEL).
C.  INCREMENT IV JUL07. (49 PERSONNEL).
2.  COMMANDS ARE REQUESTED TO SUBMIT NAVPERS 1306/7 ENLISTED PERSONNEL
    ACTION REQUESTS TO REACH NAVPERSCOM IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE FOLLOWING
    SCHEDULE:
A.  MBR'S INTERESTED IN DESIGN SCHOOL - 31JUL05.
B.  MBR'S INTERESTED IN INCREMENT II (NO DESIGN SCHOOL) - 31JUL05.
C.  MBR'S INTERESTED IN INCREMENT III - 01NOV05.
D.  MBR'S INTERESTED IN INCREMENT IV - 01JUL06.
3.  MBR'S PREVIOUSLY ATTENDING DESIGN SCHOOL ON ANY NIMITZ CLASS CVN
     WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR DESIGN SCHOOL. MBR'S INTERESTED IN ATTENDING
     DESIGN SCHOOL MUST SPECIFICALLY REQUEST DESIGN SCHOOL ON THEIR 1306/7.
     BILLET AVAILABILITIES WILL DETERMINE DESIGN SCHOOL ATTENDEES.
4.  MBR'S MUST MEET THE REQ'S OF MILPERSMAN 1306-800 AND 1306-802.
5.  THE FOLLOWING PERFORMANCE CRITERIA WILL BE CONSIDERED IN SELECTION:
     A.  PERFORMANCE EVALUATIONS - PARTICULARLY TIMELY NUCLEAR
          QUALIFICATIONS AND WATCHSTANDING ABILITY.  THESE ITEMS SHOULD BE
          SPECIFICALLY ADDRESSED IN THE COMMAND ENDORSEMENT.
     B.  COMMAND INVOLVEMENT/COLLATERAL DUTIES.
     C.  REACTOR OFFICER/COMMANDING OFFICER ENDORSEMENT.
     D.  THIS LIST IS NOT ALL-INCLUSIVE OR IN ORDER OF PRECEDENCE THEREFOR
     E ENSURE APPROPRIATE REFERENCES ARE REVIEWED TO ENSURE REQUIRED INFORMATION IS
        INCLUDED IN APPLICATION.
6.  REQUEST COMNAVSUBLANT AND COMNAVSUBPAC READRESS THIS MESSAGE TO SUBMARINE
    TENDERS AND IMA'S.  REQUEST COMNAVSURFLANT AND COMNAVSURFPAC MTT'S
     READDRESS THIS MESSAGE TO SHORE STATIONS.
7.  PERSONNEL SELECTED TO NEW CONSTRUCTION DUTY WILL BE REQUIRED TO OBTAIN
    SUFFICIENT OBLIGATED SERVICE. OBLIGATED SERVICE WILL BE AT LEAST
    24 MONTHS
    PAST PCU 77 IN SERVICE DATE AND NO LONGER THAN 54 MONTHS PAST IN SERVICE DATE.
    MEMBERS MUST OBTAIN SUFFICIENT OBLIGATED SERVICE IAW ESTABLISHED PRD
    MANAGEMENT PLAN AND WILL BE REQUIRED TO SIGN A PAGE 13.
8.  PERS-403 POC IS MBR'S PRIMARY RATING DETAILER AND MMC MENDEZ, NEW
    CONSTRUCTION ASSIGNMENTS DETAILER. MMC MENDEZ CAN BE REACHED AT DSN
    882-3632  COM 901-874-3632 OR VIA EMAIL AT MICHAEL.MENDEZ@NAVY.MIL//

tinkerlow

« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2005, 09:01 »
In english, please? We make out our dream sheets Thursday.

~MM3 Marlow

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2005, 10:29 »
It IS a pretty good example of OPNAVMILSPEAK....lol

Looks like Paragraphs 5 and 7 are the important ones.

taterhead

« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2005, 05:37 »
In english, please? We make out our dream sheets Thursday.

~MM3 Marlow

I am not quite sure how much more clearly it can be stated...this is a GENADMIN message.

My first post in this thread was the prose answer, my second was the actual message confirming the facts presented in my first post.

NavyAmy

« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2005, 03:18 »
Hi, I'm a nuke female, too. Unfortunately, I'm about to report to the Lincoln, so I have no sea time under my belt yet. And I'm an electrician, so any info I get for you later might not be as helpful.
However, when you put in a package for ELT, make sure you stress to your "sea dad" (river dad?) make sure you stress any reasons you want to stay on (like your child). Also, if you're trying to stay on shore duty longer, consider putting in a package for JSI or for STA-21. I have several friends that are going to be in Charleston for quite awhile longer (and I could have too, If I hadn't pulled my STA-21 package! Stupid!) because they put in a STA-21 package, whether they thought they were officer material or not. (Another up for the STA-21 package is that you might be more likely to talk to a detailer while you're on hold which might give you a SLIGHT advantage in your next duty station.)
I'm sure you've already heard it, but the best way to get picked up for ELT or JSI is to keep your nose at the grindstone, put in a bit of extra time (I bet 12 hours away from your child is already enough, but a little bit now could mean a whole lot later.) Also, speaking of noses, keep yours clean. Prototype isn't as notorius as NNPTC for things like underage drinking busts or things of that nature (at least not in Charleston), but if you're not making a good impression with your LPO, you're not likely to get that ELT or JSI. And qualify early. And qualify early. And qualify early. (You get the point, eh?)
As for female experiences in the fleet . . . try and find a female staff member that you like/trust/can stand. I didn't know any electrician females, but I know there are at least a few mechanic females. They can help you with things like what you should bring on a deplayment and such.
Phew, this was more long winded then I meant it to be! If you keep posting to NukeWorker, I can try to give you some more updates on fleet life as a nuke chick. Sorry for some of the canned information.  :(
Are there anymore female nukes out there with fleet experience?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?