Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Distance learning Calc 3 and Calc based physics

Author Topic: Distance learning Calc 3 and Calc based physics  (Read 15331 times)

JsonD13

Distance learning Calc 3 and Calc based physics
« on: Jul 05, 2005, 11:22 »
I am looking to start my master's degree in medical physics through GA Tech.  The prereq's are two years of math ( through diff. eqn's), 1 year of calc based physics, a computer programming course (which i have), and an anatomy and physiology course.  I'm active Navy.  Anybody have a clue how I might get these prereq's done through distance learning???

radgal

Re: Distance learning Calc 3 and Calc based physics
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2005, 11:34 »
JsonD13,

I'm currently taking CalculusII through the University of Iowa online distance learning program.  They offer CalcI and CalcII as far as Calc III and Diff. Equ. I haven't found them online yet.  Here is the link   http://continuetolearn.uiowa.edu/ccp/gis/courses/
Any questions just IM me.

Radgal
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2005, 11:36 by Rad Gal »

JsonD13

« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2005, 11:38 »
Iv'e taken Calc I and II through TESC for my BS.  I am mainly looking for the calc based physics because that one seems to be the toughest to find.  Thanks for the info though, I'll definetly check it out.

Jason

radgal

« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2005, 11:44 »
JsonD13,

I need to take it too (MS in Health Physics) and mostly I found at least for entry level physics they require a lab so you can't do it online.  I tried.  I'm actually going to be going to a class and the lab.  I got the 1st semester waivered by the prof cause I'm NRRPT (counts as 30 sem hours in Health Physics) and I had a semester of engineering phyiscs which was trig based.  If you find something post it as will I. Usually though you can find Calc III and D.E. as evening courses. Good luck in you pursuit.

Radgal

JsonD13

« Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 2005, 12:46 »
A little research paid off!  I found at University of Tenesee-Knoxville they offer Calc III, Diff. Eqns, Calc based physics I and II all through distance learning (web based and independant study).  Now I just need to look for anatomy and physiology!

Jason

alphadude

« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2005, 07:35 »
there was a booklet published on all the distance learning classes. make sure you are dealing in semester hours vs quarter hours etc. but you know that.

davioh

« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2005, 11:24 »
A little research paid off!  I found at University of Tenesee-Knoxville they offer Calc III, Diff. Eqns, Calc based physics I and II all through distance learning (web based and independant study).  Now I just need to look for anatomy and physiology!

Jason
jason try www.excelsior.edu they have a test for a and p its about $180 its 4 credits I believe.  also they have a free distance learning database.  The physics and dif eq course u need can be found thru them.  the cost of all 5 of these tests (calc3, dif eq, calc physics I and II, and A and P 1) would be about $1200.  comparing that to the U of T site You mentioned, the tuition difference would be about $12000 less.  This could buy A LOT of retests thru excelsior and Ohio U just something to think about.

JsonD13

« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2005, 01:39 »
Thanks for the info on A+P, but I cannot find anything about calc 3 or calc based physics, etc. on the excelsior website, where did you find the information on that?

Jason

davioh

« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2005, 03:59 »
JASON,
they should still have a feature called distance learning database.  I have heard (not sure if its true) that Excelsior is phasing this out (because they have been offering their own courses for a while).  Here's the direct link to what I pulled off of EC's Distance learn:
http://www.ohiou.edu/independent/ccecourse.htm

you can click on physics and math to bring up the info (it all links to different sections of the same page).  All their tests are $260.  They are mostly 4 quarter hours or 2.67 semester hours.  Im not sure how important the # of credits are to your grad program.  There you go..hope it helps you save some $$$$.

rrrikk

« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2005, 11:00 »
>they should still have a feature called distance learning database.  I have heard (not sure if its true) that Excelsior is >phasing this out (because they have been offering their own courses for a while).

Actually, this "distance learning database" is available only to enrolled students.

I'm also trying to find these classes, along with online classes in higher-level physics
(quantum, thermo, etc).  Do you suppose you could do an Excelsior search for me?
I'm having trouble finding anything but the intro physics classes.  understandable,
but frustrating, as my local university does not have a physics program.  -rik

davioh

« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2005, 10:57 »
rik, the above link for ohio u tests are the best cheapest way to get the credit(physics 1-3 calc 1-3, dif eq's).  There are some other providers I've become aware of but they are somewhat to much more expensive (but they are also online courses instead of equivilancy tests).  Let me know if you don't want to do the test route and I will get you the info.

TheEngineer

« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2005, 03:01 »
Well, you'll just have to find a university that does the distance ed stuff. But, all of my calc based physics classes had a lab, so I'm not sure how that one would work out. My college offers a distance nuclear engineering masters, but I think it assumes you have a nuclear engineering B.S. so that you don't have to catch up on any classes outside of the NE department.

mcescher

« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2005, 02:45 »
there are several math classes available thru Portland Community College. You can get most all the way to diff eqns via this college. What you may need in a given semester may not be available in that semester tho so you need to keep your eyes on catalogs throughout the year.

Best of luck!

DJ

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?