Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu All questions ANSWERED! honeypot

Author Topic: All questions ANSWERED!  (Read 28529 times)

newnavynuke

All questions ANSWERED!
« on: Jul 13, 2005, 11:05 »
If anyone has any questions at all about boot camp or nuke school I can tell you anything you want to know down to building numbers!  I'm currently in nuke school and am about 2 months out of boot camp, so my info is pretty current.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: All questions ANSWERED!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2005, 08:10 »
I hope you remember that this website is accessible by the public, and that you have no way to verify the identity of people asking you questions.  Don't give out any info that might get you a ticket to Leavenworth.  Anybody who needs to know specifics like building numbers at nuke school will be given that information by the navy.  Someone who goes online to get that kind of knowledge is someone who has not (for some reason) been given access to it.
It may seem like trivia to you, but it isn't.  Keep the information exchanged here in the realm of general knowledge.  If you are not sure, keep it off the board.
Having said that, let me thank you for giving us the latest poop.  There are still amillion things that you can share here.  For example; how long is Boot Camp these days?  How long do you have to mow lawns between RTC and A school?  I'm sure that some of the new kids wouild like to know what kind of stuff you should/should not bring to RTC.  How long do you have to wait before you can wear civvies on liberty?  When can you have a car on base?  What are the good beaches, restaurants or bars in the area?
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

halflifer

« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2005, 08:48 »
If anyone has any questions at all about boot camp or nuke school I can tell you anything you want to know down to building numbers!  I'm currently in nuke school and am about 2 months out of boot camp, so my info is pretty current.

don't they send you to 'A' School and then to the fleet before they send you to Nuke School anymore?

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2005, 09:24 »

It has been my experience that answering questions and/or telling stories will not be understood by someone without a common frame of reference. The best thing is to tell them that the military will be a life altering experience and you will be a different person afterward, maybe for the better, maybe not.
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2005, 10:35 »
don't they send you to 'A' School and then to the fleet before they send you to Nuke School anymore?
'A' school for nukes is at nuke school these days.  They stopped sending nukes to the fleet after A school about 20 years ago because the non-nukes did whatever they could to get the 18 year old petty officers busted.  It was wasting potential nukes before they ever got to NPS. 
Except for one prototype in New York, the whole NPS pipeline from A school through prototype is in Charleston.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2005, 09:05 by Beer Court »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

nukemaster

« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2005, 12:41 »
im signed up for the nuke program as an ET and i leave in aprox two weeks. ive been chillin at home just waitin till my time. any advise on how to prepare for nuke school???

taterhead

« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2005, 04:15 »
Have I missed the boat, or don't they classify MM, EM, and ET at boot camp? ::)

taterhead

« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2005, 03:56 »
I asked because nukemaster said he was signed up as an ET, but hadn't been to bootcamp.

I didn't think things had changed.

MMC

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2005, 04:18 »
I asked because nukemaster said he was signed up as an ET, but hadn't been to bootcamp.

MMC

Just like the 15 guys who were in my bootcamp company who were also guaranteed ET by their recruiter,  of which none actually ever became an ET!

Mike

LDO4CNO

« Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2007, 08:51 »
Kathy, you will find a lot of dialog on the challenges he will see if you use the search engine.  The training program is stessful for most students.  The advice that you give him will mean a lot. The basics toll go a long way, such as good eating and sleeping habits.  Focused study, and well disciplined study and homework practices will help as well. 

He needs to understand when to ask for help.  (Instructors are available during study time)  Many are too proud to ask for help until it gets too late. 

The material he will learn is somewhat challenging but not overwhelming.   The pace at which he is exposed to the material typically poses more of a challenge.  It is important that he keep up.  He also needs ot have some time to himself.  Many students wear thin because they dont take time to take care of themselves.  Good luck.

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2007, 09:36 »
Kathy,

Try sending a PM to navytwinmom, she has two baby nukes in the pipeline.

If your baby nuke needs advice on how to get through he should come here and ask. He'll get tons of it and it'll be nice and varied so he won't have to worry about getting advice from only one viewpoint.

Mike

navytwinmom

« Reply #11 on: Sep 21, 2007, 03:06 »
I did send you a PM and will send more infomation in a day or so but for now for any others reading this...the attrition rate is not a high as it use to be. the boys only lost a couple of shipmates due to failure to complete the schooling.

Stress is a factor but if he takes some time to himshelf he will do ok. I can not stress enought that your support is what he needs most. I know you must miss him like crazy as I do mine. I got some great advise from the men and women on this site but the very best was around asking questions about school. I did not realize the my questions about grades and tests could be stressing them out more than the school itself. If you son is anything like mine he does not want to let you down. So if he brings it up then talk about it but if not keep the conversation around what is going on in his home town or his favorate teams stuff like that.

Take care and I will PM you agian soon

Samabby

« Reply #12 on: Sep 21, 2007, 11:18 »
Kathy, try www.navy-parents.com. They have a Nuke section for all the worried parents to ask about stress, etc.  8)

navytwinmom

« Reply #13 on: Sep 22, 2007, 11:16 »
study hours do vary for each student depending on grades and test scores. it can be anything from vols which mean they study if the want to to 40-5's....the first number is the total number of study ours they are required to do each week the second is the number of hours required to do each instructional day....if you do the math you can see that if they only study 5 hours per day for 7 days that is only 35 hours so some days mostly the weekends they study more to make up the time. my son did have to do 40-5's for a while and it was totally exausting...better to be on 15's or 20's. i think at the begining they all start at 15's and it is adjusted from there so if he is 3 weeks in and still on 15's that is good...vols would be great but you cant always have everthing...LOL

navytwinmom

« Reply #14 on: Sep 22, 2007, 01:26 »
you got it!! except on the weekends they can study pretty much anytime is my understanding..from like 0800 to 2300 or something close to that. i will double check with the boys. I do know class is 0700 to 1600 most all the time...they boys did get out a bit earlier on Fridays sometimes if there was an exam.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #15 on: Sep 22, 2007, 06:39 »
i totally would ask a question.

but technically i'm not a nuke yet.

crimony

ah anyways, i'll see you there in 12 weeks.

dont be afraid to ask questions. 99.9% of us are here to help. You WILL get some terrible answers for your first couple questions (i.e. "USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!") but you will grow to understand what needs to be done. Good luck future-poliwog

-Jordan

p.s.

wannaknowmom - "Kyle" is able to put in study time, before OR after school. School times are static, and depending on their L(C)PO (leading (chief) petty officer) they may be able to get out early from time to time. I had the most bad-ass (terrible? lol)  6 year chief for my a school instructor, and we NEVER got let out early :(.

LDO4CNO

« Reply #16 on: Sep 23, 2007, 08:23 »
If he is on 15/2, you need not worry.   8)  When he calls and says he is on Mando 35.....then we need to talk.    :(

Good luck.  It sounds like he is doing fine.

JB

Finalman

« Reply #17 on: Sep 23, 2007, 10:52 »
If he is on 15/2, you need not worry.   8)  When he calls and says he is on Mando 35.....then we need to talk.    :(

Good luck.  It sounds like he is doing fine.

JB
I remember those... that sucked, I just failed the math 1 test with TE's and BMS's all over my pages... but on BM1 I made a 3.84 and got off those hours with a 3.26 on math 2.

poolchamp

« Reply #18 on: Sep 29, 2007, 02:07 »
wannaknowmom:  I graduated power school in December of 06 and A school (ET like your son) in June of 06.  I was class leader of both classes.  I was more academically gifted than most students, I was very fortunate in that regard.  But you mentioned a few things that should make him successful.  I have to ask, does your son know about this board?  If not, you should mention it to him, casually in an email or something.  Don't direct his life, most nukes hate that.  He gets enough of that from work.  You said he did a lot of memorization in high school.  That could be very helpful for him, his last course in A school is difficult mostly because of the mass amounts of memorization.  That can also help him through the other courses as well, but conceptual understanding is also huge. 

The hours will probably get to him, it gets to most people.  If there is anything you can remind him to do, guide him to use his time effectively.  It is much easier to maintain high enough grades to stay on 15 hours or less by working every moment you are there than to try and catch back up while you are on 25+ extra hours a week.  You just can't maintain your focus when you are working over 70 hours a week. 

As for the hours they work, I had a pretty cool LPO (we had a first class, not a chief) that pretty much let me run our class in A school and we had days where we worked only 3 or 4 hours.  We were actually able to go off base for lunch one day and took a 5 hour lunch.  In power school, it was a little more stringent as a whole.  I again had the best class (grades, behavior, bearing, everything) and we got a lot of props for that.  We almost always had an early Friday, along with 90 minute to two hour lunches (normally 60 minutes).  There were other sections in power school that it really drove nuts because they never got extra time off.

All in all, it is going to come down to effective study habits and work ethic.  Work while you are there and make it count.

Shaun
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2007, 06:26 by landlubber »

Sejik

« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2007, 06:49 »

MMC

As far as I knew they started guaranteeing that sort of thing in the contract. At least that's the impression I got with what my sister told me before she shipped off. Could have just been the way I interpreted it.

poolchamp

« Reply #20 on: Oct 03, 2007, 11:22 »
Unless it has changed in the past year, and I don't think it has, you are assigned your rate sometime during bootcamp.  Exactly when, I don't know as I didn't go to boot camp having been prior service.  When I got to A school and told them I was guarenteed to be a nuke, they said so what?  Nuke isn't a rate.  Since I didn't go to boot camp, during the short time I was in Great Lakes no one thought to send me to the nuke detailer guy up there.  So I had to talk to a Master Chief at NNPTC and tell him I wanted ET.  He said he would make a few calls and then BAM, a few days later, they told me congrats, you have a rate, you are an ET.  Prior service has its privileges. 

Fla Jackal

« Reply #21 on: Oct 11, 2007, 08:46 »
i went through bootcamp oct11-dec13 last year. like the second day we go see the nuke detailer. i got the rate i wanted MM.
i cant wait to get out of power school only 4 more weeks and 5 more tests after tommarow. RP4 sucks is all i got to say.

cleonard19

« Reply #22 on: Oct 12, 2007, 06:22 »
In June when I went to MEPS to DEP in, the only nuke rate you could get in your contract was MM, and I do believe it came with a smaller kicker bonus for taking MM up front.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #23 on: Oct 23, 2007, 11:25 »
In June when I went to MEPS to DEP in, the only nuke rate you could get in your contract was MM, and I do believe it came with a smaller kicker bonus for taking MM up front.

wierd. I figured ET's would have that more then MM's.

Fla Jackal - Cheers :) You are this far, you should do just fine! STAY IN CHARLESTON! 

gman82

« Reply #24 on: Feb 19, 2008, 11:32 »

:P Haha, its funny how the guy that started this thread hasn't answered any questions!  :-\

Here's a question...are there any hot female nuke instructors  :P

taterhead

« Reply #25 on: Feb 20, 2008, 09:06 »
My math teacher was a smokin' hot Ensign. 

FWIW

Edit: and she was a girl.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2008, 08:55 by taterhead »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #26 on: Feb 20, 2008, 09:50 »

im really not sure what to say about this one :D

the sailor in me wants to bash you, the dude in me wants to say "yes"... remember that officers and senior enlisted are your instructors :D

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #27 on: Feb 20, 2008, 10:34 »

I understand it's probably a normal question but it's also off-topic and better handled via PM's, OK?  From I've read, and been told you're not gonna have time anyway if you go Nuke.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

taterhead

« Reply #28 on: Feb 20, 2008, 11:53 »
the sailor in me wants to bash you, the dude in me wants to say "yes"... remember that officers and senior enlisted are your instructors :D

If you bashed him I would laugh in your general direction.  He asked the question with a smiley, I took that to mean half-serious, half kidding.  The Navy classroom is the classroom, and this forum is not the classroom, or the Navy for that matter.

Seriously, the Navy has done a good job of getting rid of Sailors.  There really aren't many left out there.

gman82

« Reply #29 on: Feb 21, 2008, 12:19 »
Wow sorry.... :'(

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #30 on: Feb 21, 2008, 03:26 »
Wow sorry.... :'(

haha dont sweat it.

yes, there are some physically attractive females that are going to be senior to you. Word of advice... dont even try ;)

taterhead - I suppose. however, him being a civilian right now, I can appreciate his sentiments. Thats why i didnt do the whole "holier then thou" routine. He will learn ALL ABOUT khaki ;)

mlslstephens

« Reply #31 on: Feb 21, 2008, 04:18 »
Thats why i didnt do the whole "holier then thou" routine. He will learn ALL ABOUT khaki ;)

Okay, I'll bite...what can you tell me about those Khakis?  ;)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #32 on: Feb 21, 2008, 04:33 »
Okay, I'll bite...what can you tell me about those Khakis?  ;)

Oh no. He better spout off about loving them to death since he is raising his right hand without a thought. :) Also, you know what I love most about cycotic? Is how he talks as if he is a salty dog already and I don't think he has spend a single day at sea. He cracks me up... most of the time. :)

Justin

mlslstephens

« Reply #33 on: Feb 21, 2008, 06:06 »
Oh no. He better spout off about loving them to death since he is raising his right hand without a thought. :)
ROFLMAO  K' to ya J  ;)

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #34 on: Mar 07, 2008, 01:48 »
Okay ... Back to the thread ... ALL questions? ... Okeedokee, here's one:

If a Ram is a Sheep, and an Ass is a Donkey ... How come a Ram in the Ass is a Goose?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #35 on: Mar 10, 2008, 05:01 »
Oh no. He better spout off about loving them to death since he is raising his right hand without a thought. :) Also, you know what I love most about cycotic? Is how he talks as if he is a salty dog already and I don't think he has spend a single day at sea. He cracks me up... most of the time. :)

Justin

I've actually decided against reenlisting at this point. If Im going to do it, on deployment would be my best bet. I thought I would need the money to help me through this time period, but I realized I really dont. Tightened up my belt and reaffirmed what I need to do. That said, Im still keen on reenlistment( I would not reenlist solely for money! Its just 90k tax free is WAY better the 60k taxed! Not to mention, my goals wont be affected either way). Does being at sea make you a sailor?

Im salty because I've put up with a lot of crap, and I get annoyed easily. My typing seems to come out harsher then I intend most of the time, though. 

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #36 on: Mar 10, 2008, 05:27 »
Does being at sea make you a sailor?

Im salty 

Negative. Get some time. Check with us in a few years AT SEA.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #37 on: Mar 10, 2008, 07:18 »
I've actually decided against reenlisting at this point. If Im going to do it, on deployment would be my best bet. I thought I would need the money to help me through this time period, but I realized I really dont. Tightened up my belt and reaffirmed what I need to do. That said, Im still keen on reenlistment( I would not reenlist solely for money! Its just 90k tax free is WAY better the 60k taxed! Not to mention, my goals wont be affected either way). Does being at sea make you a sailor?

Im salty because I've put up with a lot of crap, and I get annoyed easily. My typing seems to come out harsher then I intend most of the time, though. 

Well I am glad you have at least put more thought into your future. I know the money is enticing, especially to a young person who had financial troubles, but thats the trap. I am not going to tell you to do it or not to do it, just not to leap without looking.. which was the path you were on. Bravo for taking a step back. If you do decide to do it after all, at least then it will be for the right reasons.

Justin

PS Yes going to SEA makes you a sailor... NOT getting a hat that says NAVY. :) And, no... you aren't salty. :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?