Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Gotta wear shades

Author Topic: Gotta wear shades  (Read 8049 times)

atomicrod

Gotta wear shades
« on: Jul 21, 2005, 04:42 »
The future for nuclear power is so bright that all nuclear trained people need to pick up a few good pairs of shades.

Brief introduction - I served as Engineer on USS Von Steuben Gold from 1987-1990. Got out in 1993 and founded Adams Atomic Engines, Inc. (www.atomicengines.com) and soon began publishing Atomic Insights (www.atomicinsights.com).

Long story and cheap energy put me on the streets looking for work in 1999 - less than 2 days later I had landed a job with my old employer and was back on active duty.

Oil is now selling for nearly $60 per barrel compared to the $12 that prevailed when I accepted my recall, natural gas trading for close to $8.00 per million BTU compared to $1.80 and even coal prices have nearly tripled. All of that, plus a real concern about the environmental effects of fossil fuel combustion are causing utilities to again plan new nuclear power plants.

None have officially been announced, but there are going to be some announcements soon. My industry sources tell me that there are at least two projects nearing announcement here in the US, and I am willing to bet that the damn will break as soon as the first order is placed.

The NRC is quite concerned that they will not have enough people to review the applications.

Dust off those resumes.

Rod Adams
Editor, Atomic Insights, www.atomicinsights.com
President, Adams Atomic Engines, Inc. www.atomicengines.com

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Gotta wear shades
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2005, 08:18 »
Is your small reactor design simular to the one that Japan is offering the isolated Alaskan community?

atomicrod

« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2005, 07:37 »
Marlin:

No, the fission power system that has been offered to Galena, AK is the Toshiba 4S. It is a sodium cooled fast reactor with a super critical (with steam that term refers to the temperature-pressure of the steam) steam plant secondary. Our design is a closed cycle gas turbine with nitrogen as the working fluid. The reactor design itself was done in cooperation with Argonne National Laboratory.

We are not yet in a position of offering our engines for sale; we still have some development left to do before we will take that very expensive step.

bmr176

« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2005, 08:38 »
One more year to graduation.  I love to hear positive things happening in the industry.  I think I will be a little early to start freshly graduated at a new plant. 

"My industry sources tell me that there are at least two projects nearing announcement here in the US, and I am willing to bet that the damn will break as soon as the first order is placed."

Thats what I'm hoping for too.

Dominion is doing one of the two and I can't remember who the other is,  ESP's right?
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2005, 08:55 by bmr176 »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2013, 12:52 »
The future for nuclear power is so bright that all nuclear trained people need to pick up a few good pairs of shades.

Brief introduction - I served as Engineer on USS Von Steuben Gold from 1987-1990. Got out in 1993 and founded Adams Atomic Engines, Inc. (www.atomicengines.com) and soon began publishing Atomic Insights (www.atomicinsights.com).

Long story and cheap energy put me on the streets looking for work in 1999 - less than 2 days later I had landed a job with my old employer and was back on active duty.

Oil is now selling for nearly $60 per barrel compared to the $12 that prevailed when I accepted my recall, natural gas trading for close to $8.00 per million BTU compared to $1.80 and even coal prices have nearly tripled. All of that, plus a real concern about the environmental effects of fossil fuel combustion are causing utilities to again plan new nuclear power plants.

None have officially been announced, but there are going to be some announcements soon. My industry sources tell me that there are at least two projects nearing announcement here in the US, and I am willing to bet that the damn will break as soon as the first order is placed.

The NRC is quite concerned that they will not have enough people to review the applications.

Dust off those resumes.

Rod Adams
Editor, Atomic Insights, www.atomicinsights.com
President, Adams Atomic Engines, Inc. www.atomicengines.com

Adams Atomic Engines was a company founded in September 1993. It went out of business and gave up its corporate identity in December 2010.

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2013, 05:22 »
Adams Atomic Engines was a company founded in September 1993. It went out of business and gave up its corporate identity in December 2010.

Rod now works for B&W.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2013, 06:25 »
Rod now works for B&W.

Last I looked, fossil fuels, sidelining with the Atomic Show Podcast for a long time now,...

The eternal optimist is he, I was at odds with show #043 about a half dozen years ago, but then, there you go,...

It sounds as if you personally know him,...can't say that I do, but I do imbibe the podcasts,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?