Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu OK, need to know about how to go to grad school...

Author Topic: OK, need to know about how to go to grad school...  (Read 11385 times)

bigjer25

I am an enlisted EM1(SS) currently in the last of the ECP days(Enlisted Commissioning Program.)  I am scheduled to get commsiossioned in MAY, but am looking for a way to go to grad school before I go back to Charleston for NNPS.  The LT's here are pretty helpful, but they have no clue about what kinds of programs are offered, let alone how to apply.  I know that my situation is very unique, but if anyone could lend some advice it would be very appreciated.  Thanks.

TheEngineer

Re: OK, need to know about how to go to grad school...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2005, 03:06 »
You can go to grad school on the navy, but you'll of course owe more time. I think they call it NPS (naval post-grad school), but I'm not sure.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2005, 11:12 »

Get your butt to sea.

But, if you choose to punk out and try to do a liitle grad time before actually fulfilling the needs of the Navy, i suggest you polish some brass.

« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2005, 02:50 by Nuclear NASCAR »

TheEngineer

« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2005, 03:50 »
Get your butt to sea.

But, if you choose to punk out and try to do a liitle grad time before actually fulfilling the needs of the Navy, i suggest you polish some brass.

Holy cow, never mind the EM1(SS) in front of the guy's name...

Are there any decent human beings on this forum?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2005, 09:42 »
Holy cow, never mind the EM1(SS) in front of the guy's name...

Are there any decent human beings on this forum?

I have found myself asking the same question on occasion... but I can assure you there are and just by asking that question I suspect you are one. However, there are plenty of people that believe they have more experience, more valuable input, and more intelligence than anyone else can offer. Usulally they lack all three. As far as compassion, most of them are totally void in that area, too. That is one of the problems with a public forum... it is open to the rude and ignorant, as well.

Get your butt to sea.

I am sure that if the Navy needs are for the original poster to go to sea, that is where he will go. On the other hand, if the Navy has instituted all of the educational programs that they offer (and I am by no means an authority, but there seem to be quite a few) then the Navy apparently considers those programs to fulfill their needs as well. If someone wants to learn and the Navy is willing to provide the venue, then that person should get all the training and education they can handle. The Sea will still be there and if the Navy decides to send uneducated people or educated people it is their choice. Unfortunately they apparently can't do anything about the ignorant ones, either.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline indoprime

• HP on a stick
  • Moderate User
  • You got two choices..deal with it, or deal with it
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2005, 04:07 »
OK, i might be able to shed some light on this....

1) Decide what geographic area of the US where you'd like to spend the next 2-5 yrs.

2) Decide how long you wanna go. MS will take generally 2-3yrs to complete, PhD's will take anywhere between 5-7.

3) Get some recommendations in hand from about 3 people who have supervised you in some capacity.

4) Get your undergrad transcripts.

5) Grab a pen, or do your app online, and apply apply apply!

Btw, make sure you have about $200 of disposable cash, those application fees are expensive.
Excuses are tools of the incompetent which create monuments of nothingness, Those who specialize in their uses seldom achieve anything.

xnhase

« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2006, 02:08 »
OK, i might be able to shed some light on this....

1) Decide what geographic area of the US where you'd like to spend the next 2-5 yrs.

[***]

IMO, geography would be #2 after your major (e.g., engineering, physics, english literature, etc.). 

As for me, it was nuclear engineering.  In any case, I'd recommend an onsite program, but there are some online programs (http://www.worldwidelearn.com/engineering-degree/other-engineering-degree.htm).

Good luck!

M1Ark

« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:55 »
Get your butt to sea.

I think you folks are taking JMK's comment a little too seriously.  I thought it was funny.  The 'polish brass' part was probably over the top.  I work with a guy that was in school his entire Naval career (Boot Camp -> ET A School -> Enlisted Power School -> Prototype -> BOOST -> Naval Academy -> Officer Power School -> Prototype -> Embassy duty in Korea -> Civilian)

I make fun of him to this day for being a professional student and we are good friends.

BigJer25... it's ok to be made fun of.  That's what navy nukes do for fun.  If you can get into grad school on the navy... more power to you.  Now how about Embassy duty in Somalia? ;)

BTW, JMK.  How was your Fitzpatrick interview?  PM me.
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2006, 09:56 by M1Ark »

Rad Sponge

« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2006, 12:35 »
Wow, someone who can actually detect sarcasm, thanks Ark.

Did I recognize the EM1(SS)? No, I obviously did not read the very first sentence of the original poster's post!

Yes I read it, so I figured an actual (SS) would understand my reply as a joke!

But as always there are the more sensitive types out there...

I figure the only way to get 2 years extra after finishing the 4 year degree would be through the approval of higher ups, hence the advice...I figure it would be pretty self explanatory...

I read through all the posts and I think my advice was the most realistic of them all. It cuts through all the bull crap touchy feely crap given in protest of my no-nonsense, albeit insensitive opinion.

If you wish to hold off the at-sea Div-O tour, you better start hoisting some anchor.

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2006, 10:21 »
Just as an uniniterested party I wish to note that to those who have never been aboard submarines; the type of ribbing and sarcasam that exists there can be somewhat shocking. Having spent a fair portion of my life onboard the sewer pipes I realize that the "attacks" are in no way personal but merely a way of life. It is sometimes hard to make that adjustment to the civilian world where people believe that what you are saying is taken so seriously. Everyone needs to try and look at who is doing the speaking and where they are coming from. No blood, no foul.

Your friendly neighborhood moderator, and ex-bubblehead.

hopster
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2006, 10:23 by PWHoppe »
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?