Career Path > Training, Tests & Education

Over educated & over ignorant?

(1/4) > >>

DipDog3:
Hey All,

I just finished graduate school with a Master's Degree in Nuke Engr.
I have no industry experience.

I applied for many jobs and recently got a call back for an Auxiliary Operator position.
The job description only requires a BS, so I wanted to know if I was over qualified for this position?

I am having a hard time finding information on what exactly the job duties of an AO are.
1.  What are the job duties?
2.  What are the advancement choices?
3.  Average starting pay?

So if anyone can relieve me of my ignorance, I would appreciate it.

MLew44:
I am somebody who doesn't believe somebody can be "overeducated". Here is a true story...

A friend and co-worker of mine came into the nuclear industry with a masters in nuclear engineering. He started the business about 14 years ago as an Aux Operator. Most of the rest of us who worked with him were ex-Navy or had some similar practical experience. This guy, however, did not, but was willing to learn, and of course, was smart enough to do the job and also had good practical sense. He did not flaunt his educational advantage, and was certainly willing to "do his time". Aux Operator (which, as you probably know, is the entry level in nuclear operations) also pays very well, so this guy never felt like he was wasting his time. After a few years, he moved up and got his SRO license. Now he is a Shift Manager, and is poised to move up through company management. This guy is probably going right to the top; there is no limit, and he's only in his mid-thirties now.

Average starting pay for Aux Operator is very competetive ---- varies from location to location and is highly overtime dependent. But, once qualified, an AO can expect to earn from about 65K to 120K yearly gross. At many plants, this is a bargaining unit position. Job duties: have to be willing to do the "grunt work". No prima donnas allowed. It includes all plant operations outside the Control Room --- taking readings, rounds, operating equipment. Some physical prowess needed. Can expect to sweat most days, especially in the summer. Advancement choices: unlimited in the nuclear field. Best place to start, whether goal is to move up in plant management, engineering, or dozens of other areas.

alphadude:
No you are in a position to move up the ladder very rapidly. As a "virgin" you have to start some where and that is the place. You will be watched for your skills and methods, then moved out in the first wave and then up and on. If you are so-so, you will trudge along. Expect 3 years in the learning position mode- usually after you go through training you will be able to bid out.  A lot of plant managers started in the coal yards-and know what it takes to run a utility,  and those that didnt, those social butterflys ... well you can tell!

DipDog3:
Wow, thank you for your very informative responses.

AO sounds like a good starting position. 
I have no problem putting in "my time" and working hard so I think that this position will fit me really well.

If anyone has any additional information, please let me know.

halflifer:
You may be 'over educated' in that you have an education that will qualify you for 'higher' jobs. That will not disqualify you from being an AO at any plant that is worth going to. You very attitude shows that you realize the limits on classroom education and proves conclusively that you are not over, under, median or any other kind of ignorant.
Don't overlook positions as Shift Engineer or core engineer. Also, try to get some experience in the maintenance dept. It doesn't matter how good your ops staff is, if the plant components break, you can't stay on line, and that's what it's all about in the wild and rewarding world of commercial nuclear power.
Good luck....not that you won't make your own.
Karma, m'man, karma on ye.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version