Career Path > Training, Tests & Education

Over educated & over ignorant?

<< < (2/4) > >>

halflifer:
also, if you do go AO, you will find you have a lot of time to study, particularly on back shift. getting an additional degree in Business Mgmt or Personell Mgmt will help open doors to the highest levels of plant management.

JnyMac:
I am an AO.  Great position to start in.  I did the RP gig for 13 years.  At our plant if you have a good atttude, do your job, keep you mouth closed and ears open, and your nose clean you can advance rather quickly.  We have guys in our AO ranks with multiple degrees, SRO licensed at other facilities, and supervisors from other departments.  The AO gig is a pretty good job.  I have no complaints.

thenuttyneutron:
I just started this week as an AO.  So far I love it.  You know when 8 hours flies by that the job you are in is good.  I have a Nuclear engineering degree and would not have it any other way than to go AO.  In the last 2 days I have learned so much and I like the people who are training me.  Good luck.

hamsamich:
I was an AO and chem tech before deciding to do the traveling HP gig.  Advancement is sometimes the ONLY thing available.  What I mean is, AOs are expected to move up at some plants, or they have to bid out of ops, or go somewhere else.  I didn't want to take the next step (RO) so I moved to chem tech.  The "fish bowl" just wasn't for me.  Take a good look at what ROs and SROs do and make sure you are ready for that kind of life and commitment.  I'd work as an AO again, but 5 months vacation isn't available.  Too bad there aren't many contract AO positions.  I liked some parts of the job.

raymcginnis:
I agree with all of the posts here DipDog.  Listen to the advice of the elders.  Let me put my two cents in, for what it is worth.  I am a middle aged dude who just recently got his Masters degree.  My company paid for it to make me a better worker, but if you had gone through the same program with me, as a newcomer, they would rather lay me off and hire you.  They like new people because they are cheaper and have the same credintials.  You have it made!  Young man with a Masters, oh yeah!

You can go your own course, although the nuclear channel is shallow, because noboby is building any new ones.  There are more operating plants than those in D&D now, but that may change in your lifetime. 

You should look at the topic "How hot is clean" under "Nuclear Q&A" and weigh in as a recent Masters recipient.  Fresh college knowledge from you would refresh this discussion.  In the meantime, us oldtimers will respond to you on based on the beginnings, as we know it.

BTW, we oldtimers all hate that we are being replaced.  We spent years honing our craft by being in nuclear facilities all over the country.  Now we are being told that we are obsolete, because we did what was right.

Oops, I meant to encourage you.  I jumped on the wrong soapbox.  Nuclear stuff is fine!  Don't worry about it.  Follow your heart and you will end up on the right path.  Congrats on your degrees! ;)

Ray

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version