Career Path > Security, FFD

Applying for Security Clearance While on Probation...

(1/3) > >>

ravish:
This is a general question regarding obtaining a security clearance.  I would be interested to hear perspectives for all ranks of clearances.

I was curious as to whether or not it would be wise (or even possible) to apply for a security clearance while on probation.

The probation was for 2 PBJs (2 combined second degree assaults) and my term is almost over (6 months left).  Should I wait until the probation is over, or can I save time and apply now with a government contractor?

The only convictions I have on my record are for "Resisting Arrest" and "Violation of Probation", not serious offenses.  I might have the "Violation of Probation" charge reversed.

It won't be until later (three years + 6 months) until I can consider having the PBJs expunged.

Also, is it very important to have every little thing (non-consequential bookings and so forth) expunged from your record?

What should I do?

Thank you.

--

SloGlo:
whew!  a question like this doesn't come along every day.  i would talk to a federal labor lawyer and find the answers from him.  alot of other answers will be what people think the answer should be, or site specific information.  i don't think these sources are what you require.  pay the bucks and talk to someone who really, really knows.

ravish:

--- Quote from: SloGlo on Jul 28, 2005, 06:44 ---whew!  a question like this doesn't come along every day.  i would talk to a federal labor lawyer and find the answers from him.  alot of other answers will be what people think the answer should be, or site specific information.  i don't think these sources are what you require.  pay the bucks and talk to someone who really, really knows.

--- End quote ---

I perform a Google search on "federal labor lawyer" and "federal labor attorney" and only find one self-referral, Robert Buffin (http://www.host.sanmateo.org/board.html).

Throw in the question "Where can I hunt down one of these beasts?"

But, by no means should anyone hold back a response to my previous questions, especially if they know the answer(s).  You know that this post will generate a lot of hits through search engines since it is the only mention of it anywhere!

--

halflifer:

--- Quote from: ravish on Jul 28, 2005, 01:34 ---
The probation was for 2 PBJs

--- End quote ---
/
they put you on probation for Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches? That's gotta be Mass. (sorry, i couldn't resist)

halflifer:

--- Quote from: SloGlo on Jul 28, 2005, 06:44 ---whew!  a question like this doesn't come along every day.  i would talk to a federal labor lawyer and find the answers from him.  alot of other answers will be what people think the answer should be, or site specific information.  i don't think these sources are what you require.  pay the bucks and talk to someone who really, really knows.

--- End quote ---

OK Osama, what have you done with SloGlo?

Seriously, though, you need to talk to somebody in security. If you are talking about a DOE L or Q, you might talk to your congressman/senator. If it's a commercial plant, give them a call. Most of them really aren't the nazis they are rumored to be.
Since the granting authority is given wide leeway in exercising judgement, even a lawyer who isn't connected may not have valid answers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version