Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy Nuke student lookin for some advice honeypot

Author Topic: Navy Nuke student lookin for some advice  (Read 9394 times)

NukeDood56

Navy Nuke student lookin for some advice
« on: Aug 06, 2005, 10:05 »
Hey, Im a MM at NNPTC or at least thats what Im in school for... Im starting out, and I am having trouble right now with my studys, I joined after a year of college and a year break not knowing what to do with my life and never saw my self as really that smart or anything, BUT the navy tests said I was I guess... i was really conifident goin into the school... but now im strugglin in my 4th week here with a 2.9 gpa... i was just wondering about my out look in the future, if I can even make it through the school, (power school)... if there is any advice or information It would be greatly appritiated... thanks

JsonD13

Re: Navy Nuke student lookin for some advice
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2005, 05:55 »
The Navy thinks you can make it through, otherwise they wouldn't have sent you to the school.  Just keep pushin hard through it and you'll do fine.  2.9 isn't that bad of a GPA, I know guys that had less than 2.5 after comp and still made it through with their academic board.

bbishop

« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2005, 05:51 »
I felt the same way when I was in the pipeline.  I would study for hours the night before the test only to get a 2.5 while others went home at 1600 and got a 3.5.  It's frustrating to no end.  Keep in mind that they need you in the fleet and they already have a lot invested in you.  Keep showing that you're willing to put forth the effort and they will keep you.  As far as the GPA, it really doesn't matter all that much.  I had a 3.0 in A school and a 2.67 in Power school and I still made ETC in just over 9 years.  People put too much emphasis on grades and not enough on people skills or devotion to duty.  As a prototype instructor, some of my favorite students were in the bottom 10% of the class.  The anchor man is rarely my worst student.  In fact, some of the bottom students from power school are 20% ahead of the curve before they go to crew because they know how to talk to people and they simply try harder.  I will tell you that being a bottom half guy does wear on you.  You will work more hours than most top half guys and you will catch a lot of grief if you're the kind of guy that struggles with quals in prototype or at sea.  I realize that I had to work harder than the average sailor to get where I am.  Because of that, I appreciate it more.  When I came out of my prototype board and my RO board on the ship, I had tears in my eyes because I felt that I had accomplished something that no one, myself included, believed I could do.  Keep trying and I'll see you next year up the road.

Zourn

« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2005, 11:44 »
As far as studying goes, find someone who is doing well and has a similar interest that involves mechanical knowledge (ie - cars, boats, etc.) and take them to group study and have them explain things you don't understand by relating to items in said field of interest. That really helped me out when I went through the power side.

bmr176

« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2005, 11:14 »
Be careful going to group studies!!  The Navy wants you to learn things a certain way.  Sometimes you can know exactly what you are talking about but if you can't give the verbatim repeat back it doesn't matter. 

Also don't focus too much on your grade.  2.5 is all it takes.  This does not mean be a slacker, just don't get frustrated and lose focus.  I saw guys in my class go from 2.6 in A-school to 3.4 in power school. and vice versa.(I went 3.45 in A-school to 2.98 in power school).  fact of the matter is once you get to the fleet a high GPA is only good for bragging rights. 

Good luck and keep trying.  The Navy will only give up on you after you give up on yourself. 

irmechanek

« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2005, 01:10 »
the BM department has some great instructors. Ask people on T-Track who there favorites are. TGO's give some excellent hints to what will be on the exams. Constantly review back. Beware of certain ME instructors. Ours wasn't so good.

P.S. I'm on T-Track right now. I went on leave  yesterday, and hopefully will class up in september.

shayne

« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2005, 02:44 »
Use the instructors as much as possible.  That is what they are there for.  As a Prototype Instructor, I enjoyed helping those students that came to me for help.  I didn't like helping those students that struggled and didn't want or seek help.

mdgreen1

« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2005, 12:54 »
GPA will not mean a darn thing when you hit fleet. I passed nuke qual test by 1 point, I think I had lowest nuke score out of entire boot camp company of 30 some odd nukes. The high score nuke didnt make it past week three
A School, and now I have a graduate nuke degree.  Its all about discipline and effort.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2005, 01:37 »
Unless things have changed your GPA may be used for future assignments such as an instructor billet or other selections like the NR-1. The attitude I encountered while I was in was the same though, 2.8 and skate, if I made a high mark on systems test or checkout at prototype my "Seadaddy" would tell me that I spent too much time on it. I don't know if Seadaddy's are still assigned but each of us had an instructor responsible for our progress. If not ask for one. It may have a more PC name now, it was still a "boy's club" when I was in.

SGFAL21

« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2005, 04:07 »
I just graduated from NPS with 0504 and will be heading to Ballston Spa here in a week... wow... but when I was going through both A-school and Power school the TGO's were really what saved me.  Granted there might be a question or two on the test that isnt covered by them... or so at least you think that until your instructor tells you otherwise... but if you know all the TGO's at a very minimum a 3.3 or 3.4 should be what you get. 
mm3

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?