Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuclear History/Trivia honeypot

Author Topic: Nuclear History/Trivia  (Read 28067 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Nuclear History/Trivia
« on: Aug 10, 2005, 07:15 »
Nuclear History/Trivia is for the trivia buffs, neophyte historians, and Navy (or ExNavy) oolie artists. Questions like which Nuclear facility is a nesting ground for the American crocodile, where is the site of a now dormant natural reactor, or which submarine first circumnavigated the world submerged are good questions. Any question that may compromise security of a facility is not. Pose a question or just demonstrate your vast arcane knowledge.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Nuclear History/Trivia
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2005, 07:45 »
The natural reactor was in Gabon. I will leave the other questions for others to answer.

Who coined the term 'Health Physicist', why and when?
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

halflifer

« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2005, 08:32 »
Salt water Crocs nest at Turkey Point. I don't know who came up with the term 'Health Physicist' but the story put out at the DA RSO course I attended was that it came from Los Alamos during the Manhattan Project. They had to come up with something that didn't use radiation-related items in the interest of security.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2005, 08:43 »
The natural reactor was in Gabon. I will leave the other questions for others to answer.

Correct, the short story on these reactors is that they occured 2 billion years ago when the enrichment of U-235 was much higher. U235 has a shorter halflife than U238 dropping the natural enrichment of U235 over the years. The ground in this area had a high U concentration and low in nuerton absorbers. The reactors "operated" for about a million years self controlling in a manner simular to a boiling water reactor, as the ground water was heated by fission it would boil away lowering the raectivity of the reactor. The link below gives a much better explanation and history.

http://www.curtin.edu.au/curtin/centre/waisrc/OKLO/index.shtml

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2005, 01:43 »
You might enjoy this quiz/Trivia area:

http://www.nukeworker.com/quiz/

Curently we have:

Region I Trivia
Region II Trivia
Navy Nuke Trivia

As soon as you guys fill this new forum, we'll add those too.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2005, 01:43 »
BTW,

STP also has a lot of aligators, its's even their mascot, "Al E. Gator".
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2005, 01:45 by Rennhack »

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2005, 05:47 »
Natural reactors might be more common than we think.  Jupiter spits out more heat than it absorbs from the sun.  I have seen theories that state that many of the planets have large natural fission reactors at the center.  This includes the earth.  Samples taken from lava flows of He-3 match up very well with predicted values for scientist that think there is a big natural breeder reactor at the core of the earth.

It is an interesting theory,  I want to see more experiments performed on this subject.  I think eventually we will design better neutrino detectors that can discriminate neutrinos born from fusion vs fission.  When that occurs I think we will have a good idea of what is going on.

Sort of weird to think about it, the biggest reactor on the planet may not be man-made.

Here is my trivia question:

Who was the scientist that developed the models for pulseing reactors and was later discovered to be a spy who turned over vast amounts of material to the soviets?

Melrose

« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2005, 07:23 »
How 'bout the name of the goliath airplane that made it's voyage in the 50s, sporting an operating reactor?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 12, 2005, 07:20 »

There are a number of answers to this here are two;

1)Robert Stone or Arthur Compton defined the the field in which physical methods are used to determine the existence of hazards to the health.

2)Raymond Finkle denoted it as the physics section of the health division.

Here is my trivia question:

Who was the scientist that developed the models for pulseing reactors and was later discovered to be a spy who turned over vast amounts of material to the soviets?

I believe Klaus Fuchs but would not put money on it.

How 'bout the name of the goliath airplane that made it's voyage in the 50s, sporting an operating reactor?

The Crusader carried an operational reactor but the plane was powered by conventional means. the project was scrapped before it reached that stage.

shayne

« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2005, 08:53 »
I was just wondering why this topic is locked?

Warning: this topic is currently locked!
Only admins and moderators can reply.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 12, 2005, 09:05 »
This thread was intended for an intro. A ten page thread is difficult to navigate between question and answer and if you follow other long threads the original topic is frequantly lost. Long threads seem to work well for current event threads like SloGlo's news but I believe that a reference style topic needs more structure.

"That's just my opinion I could be wrong".......Dennis Miller

Melrose

Nuclear History/Trivia..... Reply
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2005, 10:41 »
 ;) Correct..... the Crusader carried a 1000 kilowatt reactor weighing 35000 pounds.  The propulsion design contract was given to GE.  Convair was in charge of the flight project.
The crew was housed inside a lead and rubber cockpit.  Separating the crew from the reactor was a 4 ton lead disc.  Observation of the reactor was via video.
The XB-36H Crusader made her maiden voyage on 09/17/55, before the Air Force pulled the plug, 47 flights were completed.  All with the reactor operating.
Initial tests were to monitor the affects of radiation on instruments, frame structure etc.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?