News and Discussions > History & Trivia

Nuclear History/Trivia

(1/3) > >>

Marlin:
Nuclear History/Trivia is for the trivia buffs, neophyte historians, and Navy (or ExNavy) oolie artists. Questions like which Nuclear facility is a nesting ground for the American crocodile, where is the site of a now dormant natural reactor, or which submarine first circumnavigated the world submerged are good questions. Any question that may compromise security of a facility is not. Pose a question or just demonstrate your vast arcane knowledge.

RDTroja:
The natural reactor was in Gabon. I will leave the other questions for others to answer.

Who coined the term 'Health Physicist', why and when?

halflifer:
Salt water Crocs nest at Turkey Point. I don't know who came up with the term 'Health Physicist' but the story put out at the DA RSO course I attended was that it came from Los Alamos during the Manhattan Project. They had to come up with something that didn't use radiation-related items in the interest of security.

Marlin:

--- Quote from: RDTroja on Aug 10, 2005, 07:45 ---The natural reactor was in Gabon. I will leave the other questions for others to answer.

Who coined the term 'Health Physicist', why and when?

--- End quote ---

Correct, the short story on these reactors is that they occured 2 billion years ago when the enrichment of U-235 was much higher. U235 has a shorter halflife than U238 dropping the natural enrichment of U235 over the years. The ground in this area had a high U concentration and low in nuerton absorbers. The reactors "operated" for about a million years self controlling in a manner simular to a boiling water reactor, as the ground water was heated by fission it would boil away lowering the raectivity of the reactor. The link below gives a much better explanation and history.

http://www.curtin.edu.au/curtin/centre/waisrc/OKLO/index.shtml

Rennhack:
You might enjoy this quiz/Trivia area:

http://www.nukeworker.com/quiz/

Curently we have:

Region I Trivia
Region II Trivia
Navy Nuke Trivia

As soon as you guys fill this new forum, we'll add those too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version