Career Path > Salary Questions

Negotiating Salary. Is it possible? Is it wise?

(1/3) > >>

DipDog3:
Is it possible to negotiate salary for an AO position having no experience and only a degree?
If I did want to negotiate, how would I go about it?
Would it be a good idea or should I just take what they offered?

I kinda need to know ASAP.

You can PM me if you have any specific details.

Thanks ahead of time.

halflifer:
if the position is at a 'Union' plant, that is, a plant where you are required to join and be represented by a union, then you can't negotiate anything. The union has already done the negotiating.
if not, it is theoretically possible, but don't bet the farm on your success. remember, you have never actually DONE anything.....yeah, I know, you finished college....you and a million other people. and what did you DO in college? not, what did you study? what did you do. if you turn down what they offer you, they will probably just go to the next name on the list.
in order to negotiate successfully, you need to be able to show them that you are worth more to them than they are offering, and again, what track record do you have to base such a claim on?
my advice, take the offer and in a couple of yrs, when you have proven that you are the creme of the crop, you'll be able to show them why.

Already Gone:
I absolutely agree.  You may be first in line, but if you say no, they'll just open the door and yell, "NEXT!!"  But, the picture is not so bleak.  The reason AO jobs come open is that people leave them.  They either get promoted to the Control Room, bid out to better jobs outside operations, quit, or retire.  What I'm saying is that there is zero growth in AO jobs.  The number of them is fixed or shrinking.  So, in order for an opening to have occurred, someone had to go away.  When they left they took all their training and experience with them.  When you get hired, you fill only a small part of the gap created by their departure. 
What this all means to you is that once you fill out the rest of the missing talent and experience you become valuable.  At that point, keeping you is way better than replacing you.  Unless you are taking over the job of someone who was fired, they would have rather kept him than hire you.  When they can say the same about you, you can expect a little appreciation in your pay envelope.  The time to ask for money is when you are sitting in the Op's Manager's office going over your stellar performance review.  So, give it your best shot for the next six months or so and good luck.  During this time, keep your eyes open for those openings for Shift Technical Advisor, Shift Engineer, Refuelling or Project Engineer ... etc.  If one of those opens up, you will stand out from all the other NucE graduates because you will already have a track record within the company.
But, based on my experience, they are not going to haggle with you at this point.  They are going to go down the list of all the qualified candidates until one of them says yes.  If it is enough to keep you out of bankruptcy court, and you have no better offers, take what they are paying.  Then, do your best to earn a raise.

hamsamich:
negotiating for more is always good to consider, but if you have put all your eggs in one basket, it is not the right choice.  Do you have other offers?  Do you have a special skill?  Have you researched the amount of pay you should receive?  If you are asking "should I take whatever they offer and just ask for a bit more", then the answer is no, especially if you have put all your eggs in one basket here and don't have a plan "B".  Negotiating is for people who have very good knowledge of what they should be paid, and for people who are not desperate for one particular job.  If this is not your dream job, and you could take it or leave it, then ask for more.  That is one example.  It all depends on your situation,the companies situation and how prepared you are for what MAY lie ahead next.  Don't just ask for more because it seems neat, have a good reason for doing so.  Check out T.O. for the Eagles.  He is in a special situation.  He is arguably the best WR in the NFL right now, and the Eagles know this.  So he is asking for more, he may not get it, but at least he is in some type of special position making it plausible for him to ask for more.  Not that I agree with TO, but divorcing myself from the moral issue of contract breaking, he isn't in the worst position.

hamsamich:
When I was an AO, and Brunswick was canvasing for people to go to lic. class, I asked for more because I really didn't want to go, and thougt the ROs were underpaid.  I said I would go to class if they gave me 10 extra hours of OT per week of Lic. class and a guaranteed amount of money at the end int the form of starting salary.  They laughed, of course, but my point is, I didn't have my heart set on Lic. Class and I knew exactly how much it was worth to me to do it, so I asked for more. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version