Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Reactor containments

Author Topic: Reactor containments  (Read 22402 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Reactor containments
« on: Aug 12, 2005, 07:45 »
We take containments for granted as part of a nuclear plants contruction, but this was not always the case. Name a plant where the containment was not in the original design.

Fermi2

Re: Reactor containments
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2005, 06:45 »
Actually there are 5 or 6 plants that were originally designed without containments. When they realized they had to put the plants near cities they had to codify something to allow it, thus 10CFR100. The Containment was the method chosen by the industry as the best way to comply with 10CFR100.

Mike

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2005, 10:42 »
We take containments for granted as part of a nuclear plants contruction, but this was not always the case. Name a plant where the containment was not in the original design.

Beside Chicago Pile 1, and SL-1, or do you mean commercial power plants?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2005, 07:09 »
Commercial (US of course)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2005, 07:13 »
Another good question would be which Power Plant containments appear in movies. The answer to one of the sites in the first question is the the same as the one in the second (just different domes).

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2005, 05:27 »
Another good question would be which Power Plant containments appear in movies. The answer to one of the sites in the first question is the the same as the one in the second (just different domes).

iffen ya gots a dome, ain't ya gots a containment? 
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

ageoldtech

« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2005, 07:31 »
The movie abyss was filmed inside the partially completed Cherokee nuclear station containment near Gaffney SC.   

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2005, 09:37 »
Hints seem to be in order so here goes...

1) Three unit site

2) Leslie Nielson

jakester

« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2005, 04:39 »
Palo Verde- 3 units. Leslie Nielsen???? I don't remember anything relating to him. More clues perhaps??

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2005, 05:18 »
Driving Soulth on I-5 the suggestive outline of SONGS unit 2&3 come into view during a related conversation.

jakester

« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2005, 06:58 »
Oh yeah! Naked Gun. I had forgotten that scene!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2005, 08:08 »

SONGS unit one and Naked gun.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #12 on: Aug 27, 2005, 12:41 »
asa sidebar note, although the containment shown was a sound stage, the control room in "china syndrome" was trojan npp.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

BuddyThePug

« Reply #13 on: Aug 31, 2005, 07:54 »
SONGS unit one and Naked gun.

Your answer is incorrect. SONGS 1 was orginally built with the same famous white semi-spherical steel containment as D1G prototype, and several other reactors of the early 1960s.

There was, however, a commercial power nuclear reactor built with no pressure rated containment, west of the Rockies. Built before SONGS1. That's all the hint before Labor Day.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #14 on: Aug 31, 2005, 08:03 »
I'm just going to wild guess Humboldt Bay.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 01, 2005, 07:38 »
Your answer is incorrect. SONGS 1 was orginally built with the same famous white semi-spherical steel containment as D1G prototype, and several other reactors of the early 1960s.

There was, however, a commercial power nuclear reactor built with no pressure rated containment, west of the Rockies. Built before SONGS1. That's all the hint before Labor Day.

Yes it was built with it but I think you will find that it was not in the original design.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #16 on: Sep 01, 2005, 09:59 »
Yes it was built with it but I think you will find that it was not in the original design.

And where would we *find* that? It was built with one, and commercial plants built almost a decade earlier, like Shippingport, were designed and built with a containment. What causes you to think SONGS1 was originally designed with NO containment?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 01, 2005, 10:52 »
And where would we *find* that? It was built with one, and commercial plants built almost a decade earlier, like Shippingport, were designed and built with a containment. What causes you to think SONGS1 was originally designed with NO containment?

Sorry, probably a bad question, I got this in the early 80's while working there from a reliable source. I declined to post other trivia questions because I could not find current information I should have done the same here. I would have liked to pose questions or post info on the S1W prototype building/containment but there is no source I could find. 
  Shippingport may be a bad comparisson as it was done in conjunction with the Navy as the first commercial power plant, and we know how conservative the Navy is with thier safety systems. I am curious about the date that containments were first required by the AEC/NRC I couldn't find that one either.
   I promise to be more carefull with future posts.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #18 on: Sep 01, 2005, 12:20 »
Sorry trivia bufs but Shippingport was never a commercial power plant.  It did put power on the grid, but it did not have a license for commercial operation.  The first commercial power plant was Dresden 1, although Indian Point 1 claims this title also.
Dresden 1 is the one in the ball, as was Big Rock Point and some other old small units were.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #19 on: Sep 01, 2005, 01:55 »
I've always heard Dresden is the first commercially owned and operated plant but Shippingport was the first commercial plant. Licenses are for regulation not commerce, they did sell the power.

BuddyThePug

« Reply #20 on: Sep 11, 2005, 11:26 »
The real answer is (at least one of the correct answers) the Santa Susana Field Laboratory, found at  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Susana_Field_Laboratory

Cool article !

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 12, 2005, 07:33 »
It looks like the term "first" may have to be qualified. The number of plants I worked at when on the road that claimed to be the best in the nation may be a good example.

Here is a link that says Russia produced the first power from a reactor for consumption but since they were communist was it commerce?

http://eia.doe.gov/cneaf/nuclear/page/nuc_reactors/superla.html

Here is link that says the first usable electricity was produced at Idaho's EBR-1 reactor but it just lit four light bulbs.

http://web.em.doe.gov/timeline/dec1951.html

In the sense that Santa Susana was privately owed I guess it was commercial. It sure leaves a lot of room for future trivia.  ;)

Offline Rather Hunt Than Tech

• Light User
  • It's not Rocket Science we're only Splitting Atoms
« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2007, 11:59 »
Shippingport did not have a containment in the way that you usually think of a containment.  The reactor and steam generators were in steal chambers underground.  Dresdin was the first commercial reactor fully funded by the utility.  I do consider Shippingport to be the first commercial Nuclear Power Plant.  At Shippingport the operating budget for the primary side was paid for by the Navy.  The three cores that were run there were experimental designs.  The first two being PWR's and the third a LWBR (Light Water Breeder Reactor).  It was built and run to the very conservative Navy standards.  The NRC had no sayso there.  The operating budget for the secondary side / turbine was paid for by Duquesne Light and operated by Duquesne Light employee's.  A Navy Officer was there to serve as a NRC resident inspector would serve at other plants.  I was there during the last months of commercial operation and until all the fuel had been shipped to the Naval Reactors Expended Core Facility in Idaho.
ATF: Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a Goverment Agency

Fermi2

« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2007, 01:16 »
Of course the NRC had no say so there, there WAS no NRC at the time. It was the AEC and of course they had a say so there. Rickover was the AEC Representative there. All plants, including military ones were under the regulations of the AEC. If you get a chance read the hearings on military reactors and Shippingport that the Joint Committee Of Atomic Energy, the organization which oversaw the AEC and military reactor development, conducted. Watching Rickover just play these congressmen and senators is FASCINATING.

Offline Rather Hunt Than Tech

• Light User
  • It's not Rocket Science we're only Splitting Atoms
« Reply #24 on: Mar 09, 2007, 02:31 »
In 1957 the NRC did not exist.  In Oct. 82 when the final shutdown at Shippingport occured the NRC did exist.  My point was that the NRC never had any oversight there.
ATF: Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a Goverment Agency

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #25 on: Apr 17, 2007, 12:34 »
Just to clarify the SONGS 1 issue.  The containment was a steel ball containment.  Eventually, someone figured out that the steel ball didn't really provide a whole lot of shielding, so the post accident shine doses were very high.  Then then added the concrete shield building around the steel ball. 

Here is a pretty cool picture of the containment being erected.

http://americanhistory.si.edu/powering/images/64143.jpg

The following set of photos, taken during decommissioning, shows the shield building with the roof removed, and then with the shield building walls partially removed.  You can also see the covers over the holes in containment where the vessel and SGs were lifted out.

http://eyeball-series.org/san-onofre/san-onofre-npp.htm

Decommissioning has now gotten to the point where the entire turbine structure is gone, almost all of the shield building wall is gone, and the steel ball is removed to ground level (or below).

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #26 on: Apr 17, 2007, 05:15 »
Neat picture. Not much for shielding.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #27 on: Apr 17, 2007, 06:17 »
I enjoyed this statement: "At the north, a third reactor appears to be under construction, with the reactor dome partly completed and a turbine structure perpendicular lacking a turbine." 

Great pictures!
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #28 on: Apr 17, 2007, 09:56 »
Center of the Rx vessel is exactly 1 mile from President Nixon's former Avenida del Presidente house. Unit 1's footprint will eventually be filled in with white sand to restore to "greenfield" status. On a clear day, we could see out north to Dana Point, south to Carlsbad, and all the sunbathers....

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?