Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu LTC health physics degree honeypot

Author Topic: LTC health physics degree  (Read 11912 times)

shahin214

LTC health physics degree
« on: Aug 15, 2005, 05:36 »
has anybody have any taken the classes through ltc. Or any other pre hp classes, looking to get in as a jr hp what would be a good starting part. I have worked a few outages as a deconner. Just trying to get my foot in the door as jr hp tech. What can I do to get started. thanks

Melrose

Re: LTC health physics degree
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2005, 07:22 »
If you can afford it, don't waste your time or cash on the classes.  If you've been deconning, then you probably have been taking and counting your own smears or at least have an understanding of the process.  Contact a contractor and get an entry level position as a Jr.  You'll have to put the time in to get your senior status, but you'll be making money as you progress.

You'll find the general concensus is that deconners do make better HPs.  Use the experience you've gained as a deconner to make you an above average HP, and for your sake keep your mind and ears open.

Don't settle for watching access as a junior to fill time for senior status, you won't be worth anything to any of us.

Take the job seriously, ask questions, show initiative to take on work other than "routine jockey", or "access queen"., and you should do fine.

Good luck  ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2005, 07:24 by Melrose »

Dan_E.

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2005, 09:08 »
If you are in a hurry then LTC will not help much. They provide the nuclear courses but most of the other courses will be your responsiblity at a local community/jr. college. You will most likely find that recruiters are more interested in your "hands on experience" than your formal education. Good luck in whichever road you choose towards your goal.

shahin214

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2005, 10:06 »
I've been working with one of the recruiters from bartlett, I've already requested any jr hp position available,any condition..............still waiting. Anything else I can do?

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2005, 07:51 »
Don't dismiss the "schooling".  I have a degree from LTC and it helped get me my first junior job.  Education is important, otherwise credit wouldn't be given if you take the NRRPT.  If you can get a job right away, great.  But if nothing comes your way, take some classes.  It can't hurt you.
It is what it is!

ageoldtech

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2005, 11:42 »
Book learning is great; it will further your career down the road, But as Melrose said, contact a contractor and get an entry level position if possible. I would hound them all the time. Eventually they’ll get tired of you and give you a job just to shut you up. It really help’s if you know someone at a site that will ask for you by name. I would call someone you know at a site with a upcoming outage and ask for a Jr. slot. It can’t hurt.

alphadude

« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2005, 04:51 »
The degree would make it easier to get the job, it always does. in the long run it can mean more money. 

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2006, 10:17 »
Has anyone taken online courses to get their degree? Is this one a viable option? Does anyone know of a better one? Does anyone have additional info on any other online degrees? Any help would be appreciated....

Go Bears!!

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2006, 10:41 »
   thomas edison state college...nrrpt or nnps...tecep course challenge program...associate of science degree...

Chimera

« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2006, 08:54 »
Has anyone taken online courses to get their degree? Is this one a viable option? Does anyone know of a better one? Does anyone have additional info on any other online degrees? Any help would be appreciated....

I worked on my degree through the New York State Board of Regents (Excelsior College).  I took classes offered where I worked, tele-courses through the local Community College, night school, had my previous work evaluated (NRRPT, Navy Nuc), correspondence classes from universities, CLEP tests, etc.  Excelsior College tracked my credits as I earned them and awarded my degree when I met their requirements.  There are many "non-traditional" paths to take.  Use them all.  The key is having an accredited educational institution track the classes and award the degree.  This isn't an easy path, but it does get the job done if you persevere ("perseverance alone is omnipotent").

Offline Llama

• License Termination Manager
  • Moderate User
  • Have you hugged a llama today?
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2006, 12:32 »
A side note about Excelsior is that the Nuclear Engineering degree is accredited by ABET

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2006, 12:47 »
That is Nuclear Eng Technology (make a big difference) but yes it is ABET which will help in some situations.  I am getting TESC and from what I have heard it will be just fine for operations.  The ABET thing is only (IMHO) a big deal if you want to get Masters degree as it will almost garuntee a shot into a Engineering masters program.  That being said you will likely still have to take many "leveling" courses and those with a non-ABET degree can still get in (just have to sell themselves well). 

In my personal opinion TESC is better value (for me at least), but I am sure it depends a lot on personal situation.  Either way a degree is always good to have in todays world.

Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Chimera

« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2006, 12:23 »
A side note about Excelsior is that the Nuclear Engineering degree is accredited by ABET
Actually, I persued a Physics degree (using the GRE exam in Physics) to establish my major (since that was I thought I knew the most about back then).  I figured (at the time) that a pure science degree was the most versatile tool for me.  However, always evaluate the degree program against your professional ambitions.  Choose the one that best suits your goals.  There has been a lot of good information in here to follow up on - good luck!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?