Career Path > DOE

Barnwell Closure

<< < (3/7) > >>

Marlin:
In 79 not to long after I got out of the Navy I was working on a shipment of RW out of VY. Being new to the commercial industry I was asking a lot of questions. When I asked where the drums went I was told they were headed to Barnwell in South Carolina but not for much longer as the state was trying to shut it down. I tend to agree with MrHazmat, but who knows.

Camella Black:

--- Quote from: MrHazmat on Feb 23, 2007, 07:44 ---This is all SC BS. They keep saying they are going to cut every one off and then at the last minute they give in and say OK but it's going to cost you more. SC makes BIG buck off of Chem Nuc. Great way to charge more and look good doing it. 8)

--- End quote ---

You got this right. Tell you what's wrong... the state looks around and realizes that they are cutting their own throats by closing to everyone but the compact. Can you imagine the impact that this would have on our schools and our taxes?

I think that anyone not directly affected by the burial ground and that would be outside of Barnwell County needs to keep out of it and allow us to live in peace and the burial site to operate in the manner it was intended to.

SloGlo:
yeah, i tink rdtroja bailed outa der da furst time it wuz gonna close. 

RDTroja:

--- Quote from: SloGlo on Feb 23, 2007, 08:00 ---yeah, i tink rdtroja bailed outa der da furst time it wuz gonna close. 

--- End quote ---

Not me. Never worked Barnwell. Did work for a Radwaste shipping company in 1974/75, but just local Maryland/DC. But it was closing then, too. Any day. Trust me.

cincinnatinuke:
I hear SC is really dependant upon this large source of revenue and I have heard from many OLD timers that this isnt the first time this has been discussed (closure all together and/or to out of compact).

I think Energy Solutions is smart to have acquired and consoldated the way they did.  Heck even the basketball arena in Salt Lake City is named after them......"Radium Stadium" :)  But I do worry about folks out of the compact having no disposal outlet or the price shooting way up unexpectedly on them.

Until then what are you gonna do?  I guess talk about it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version