Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Old Dominion vs. TESC vs. Excelsior

Author Topic: Old Dominion vs. TESC vs. Excelsior  (Read 83838 times)

DRStevick

Old Dominion vs. TESC vs. Excelsior
« on: Aug 15, 2005, 10:15 »
OK, I'm sorry... I know that this one hase been discussed, I'm just not sure that I have come up with a firm determination one way or another on which degree program is the way to go.  Currently, I am an ETC(SS) nuke, 13 years in, finally planning on getting a degree.

I am currently enrolled in TESC to complete my ASAST/NET degree in January.  At that point, do I

a) Continue with TESC for my BSAST/NET degree or
 b) Switch over to Excelsior to complete a BSNET degree, ABET accredited?

I don't know what I plan to do when I get out.  It may have NOTING to do with nuclear power!  My concern is NOT getting the ABET accredited degree, then finding out that I need it for whatever reason, and being f$%@ed.

I've heard a couple of different versions, ranging from the ABET doesn't matter to the ABET is the only way to go.  Just trying to get some more opinions before I dedicate myself to one program in particular.

Dale R. Stevick

JsonD13

Re: TESC vs. Excelsior
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2005, 06:14 »
ETC,
  I am an MM2 SPU on his way to sea (CVN70).  I got the TESC degree while at prototype and I was able to gain entrance into Southern Methodist University's MS in Engineering Management program.  Also I have talked to schools such as Oregon State (MS in Health Physics (RADCON)) and they don't seem to have any problems with the degree not being ABET accredited since the school is regionally accredited.  A good thread to look at would be on the TESC website alumni moderated discussion.  I think its called "BSAST Nuc Eng" or something close.  I have heard of a few schools not letting people into their MS in Nuclear Engineering program unless they take more undergraduate courses.  As far as job prospects in the nuclear industry, I havent seen anything personally but from what I hear it only makes a difference of a few bucks an hour if you start out in OPS.  Hope this helps.

Jason

davioh

Re: TESC vs. Excelsior
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2005, 11:09 »
OK, I'm sorry... I know that this one hase been discussed, I'm just not sure that I have come up with a firm determination one way or another on which degree program is the way to go.  Currently, I am an ETC(SS) nuke, 13 years in, finally planning on getting a degree.

I am currently enrolled in TESC to complete my ASAST/NET degree in January.  At that point, do I

a) Continue with TESC for my BSAST/NET degree or
 b) Switch over to Excelsior to complete a BSNET degree, ABET accredited?

I don't know what I plan to do when I get out.  It may have NOTING to do with nuclear power!  My concern is NOT getting the ABET accredited degree, then finding out that I need it for whatever reason, and being f$%@ed.

I've heard a couple of different versions, ranging from the ABET doesn't matter to the ABET is the only way to go.  Just trying to get some more opinions before I dedicate myself to one program in particular.

Dale R. Stevick

Dale, I'd go with Excelsior:
#1. they have for the most part been very helpful to me.
#2. the abet accreditation MIGHT become a standard requirement sometime (I'm saying might but I really don't know).

I have no experience with tesc so for some reason it might be better after all (no real basis of comparison I've only seen tesc's website and not been a student there).  I just know there are a number of things excelsior did for me that other colleges didn't (local community colleges). 

SnToCiv

Excelsior College
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2005, 08:38 »
I am an ETSN and I am about to start working on my TESC BA but I heard the Excelsior is also a good way to go.  Does anyone have any exsperience with Excelsior?

JsonD13

Re: Excelsior College
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2005, 12:56 »
I dont have any personal experience with Excelscior, but I did get my TESC degree.  The only plus about Excelscior is that they are ABET accredited.  I do not know how good of a school they are or how long it would take to finish, but I got my TESC in about a year.

dks860

« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2005, 09:41 »
I got an associates from Excelsior when it was still Regents college.  They work with all the miltary schools and take a host of independent and testing credits.  The one thing I didn't like was the annual fee if you are not ready to graduate.  That came at a time when we really didn't have the money to spare.  My associates got me into school at another university and most of the credits did transfer.  They have a lot of resources and if you are the type of person who can do independent study classes or over the internet or study and take tests, then it's a good deal.  How long it takes to finish depends on how motivated you are.  I took several CLEP and DANTES exams, as well and my Nuke school credits.  I don't know if it's still true but when I was in the military, you could take independant study courses from accredited colleges and if you passed you got 90% back.  You should go talk to your Education Officer.  Regents/Excelsior has been catering to the military for a long time.  I got my degree in the late 80's and I knew guys who were going through them in the early 80's.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2005, 10:29 »
     I earned the BS degree at Edison using the credit granted for the NRRPT after being a NY Regents (now Excelsior) student. Courses required by Regents (nuclear materials, plant systems overview and reactor core fundamentals) required attendance. Edison requirements did not.
     Challenge exams with Edison fulfilled the electives requirements. I used traditional correspondence courses by mail to satisfy the calculus requirements.

graydragon67

Howdy, I've read up on the TESC and Excelsior courses and have just perused the one at ODU.  I was wondering if anybody else has heard of this program?  I'm not really sure if it renders you with a Mechanical Engineering Technologies degree with Nuclear emphasis or if it's a Nuclear Tech degree like TESC?

Any help would be appreciated.

ciao
dave

Offline DecommMan

• Leave the Decommissioning to us.
  • Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2006, 01:00 »
How are the technician programs offered by T Edison and other junior colleges doing these days?
Decomm Man

Kenny73

excelsior college
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 04:06 »
I see that excelsior recently got a ABET accredited nuclear engineering program.  Does anyone have any information on what type of job that degree would qualify you for?

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: excelsior college
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 04:17 »
Kenny,
I don't see anything that the ABET accredited degree qualifies you for that you couldn't already qualify with the old degree. If I remember correctly, the new degree requires Calculus and Calculus based Physics. That can qualify you for STA (Shift Technical Adviser); this is just a collateral duty for qualified SRO's at many plants.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Kenny73

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 05:02 »
Okay, so let's say I got out of the navy after just four years of service as an EM2 with a degree in nuclear engineering tech from excelsior.  Would I be able to get a job at a plant?

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 05:21 »
Absolutely!
You could get a job in OPS or in Electrical Maintenance. I would pursue both, then take the one most appealing to you.

You would probably have to go into OPS via NLO class, but the sky is the limit (actually, above Shift Manager they would want you to complete a Master's degree).
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Kenny73

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 06:34 »
Thanks for the help.  I'm really glad there's good news.  One last thing, what is OPS?

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 07:01 »
OPS rules the nuclear universe!

OK, OPS is operations; this is like standing watch in the Navy. Maintenance handles the repairs and PM, OPS does the tag-outs.

Samabby

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 03:52 »
Okay, so let's say I got out of the navy after just four years of service as an EM2 with a degree in nuclear engineering tech from excelsior.  Would I be able to get a job at a plant?

Could you do this during a four year enlistment? I thought that the Nuke enlistments were a minimum of six years.

kydron

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 08:24 »
Is there a link anywhere that has more information about the new ABET accredited program Kenny mentioned? All that I see on the Excelsior site is the same degrees they previously offered. Thanks

illegalsmile

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 07:12 »
Could you do this during a four year enlistment? I thought that the Nuke enlistments were a minimum of six years.
Kenny didn't say he was a nuke. Admittedly, his degree implies it, but only implies.

Kenny73

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 01:12 »
I will have served a total of four and a half years in the navy.  Two and a half as an EM2 and yes I'm a nuke.  I meant that I'm getting out as an EM2 not that I served for years as an EM2.  Oh, what's NLO?

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 01:58 »
I assumed you had read the other posts. No problem. NLO = Non-Licensed Operator
RO = NRC Licensed Reactor Operator (the one licensed to operate the controls)
RCO = Reactor Controls Operator (same as RO)
SRO = NRC Senior Licensed Reactor Operator (licensed to supervise Reactor Operations); typically directs operations of 1 unit
SM = Shift Manager; SRO in charge of the shift (all units on the site); top shift-worker

Rad Sponge

New TESC degree program coming soon!
« Reply #20 on: Jul 28, 2006, 05:05 »
Always with my ear to the ground...

TESC has announced a partnership with a NJ utilities co. in creating a BSAST in Energy Utilities Technology. I spoke with a some TESC staff and the program is planned for FALL 06 enrollment.
They don't have it posted in their list of programs yet, however I was sent a credit breakdown for the General Education, Core, and Electives. I'd be glad to send this to you.

I contacted a Dr. Tillery, who is the program manager, and he directed me to Bismark State College (www.bsc.nodak.edu) to find online classes that satisfy the core requirements.

BSC offers 5 AAST programs covering nuc power, electrical transmission, process technology, power plant technology, and electrical power technology. The core requirements can be nearly satisfied taking various classes from the different programs. However, I cannot tell if the specific classes have their own pre-reqs.

As of the current list of TESC courses, about 6 can be taken directly via TESC OL/GS classes.

Of course TESC also does portfolio assessment, but I don't know what Navy Nuke training covers. I'll find that out after I submit my Navy training, degrees, and work experience for review.

Let me be clear that this is not a nuke degree of any kind; most of the core courses are electrical systems/distribution/management in nature.

The general education requirements are your ususal English, Math (Calc 1), STATs, Social Science, Natural Science, etc.

There are some oolie requirements covering labor management, collective bargaining, economic analysis, and other very specific courses not offered at your usual comm college (I think these are usually covered by prior work experience, though).

Let me know if you want some more info.

Jason

M1Ark

Re: New TESC degree program coming soon!
« Reply #21 on: Jul 29, 2006, 02:19 »
Why wouldn't I just get a TESC BSAST in Nuclear Engineering Technology?

How's is this different? or better?

Rad Sponge

Re: New TESC degree program coming soon!
« Reply #22 on: Jul 29, 2006, 02:32 »
I offer no judgement on the program, just relaying the facts.

The degree is definitely geared towards business/economics/finance/management in requirements with a focus on overal energy utilities. It does have a foundation in engineering subjects, but it deals with aspects of the energy utilities after the steam spins the turbines.

I personally don't plan on being a technician for the rest of my career. I'd like to move upwards into the business end of splitting atoms. For me this degree would provide the foundations for that aspiration.

real_mikejones

Old Dominion vs. TESC vs. Excelsior
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2006, 02:19 »
I am currently a Navy Nuke with two and a half years left in. I am looking at these different degree programs and was curious on your opinions. I have heard that the Excelsior program is better to get as far as getting into a Grad School. How does the Old Dominion degree compare to these? For those of you in the civilian sector, does it make a difference as far as getting a job when you get out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Old Dominion vs. TESC vs. Excelsior
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2006, 07:51 »
The question is more one of what fits your situation Mike not which is better.  Both will get you into grad school, although I would guess the EXCEL degree might make abit eaiser.  I have talked to guy with both in grad school so it can be done.  The situation is more about how many classes you have already gotten and what do you still need.  If you graded Prototype after 1990 Excellisor will give you more credtis, if pre 1990 you can add about 7 classes that you can only get with them (read $$$$$).  The ABET thing is only a big deal (IMHO) if you are getting a "real" engineering degree.  Face it, a technology degree is not an Enginering degree and in many satates you can not get PE on a tech degree, ABET or not!  The Tech degree is normally only a stepping stone to help land a job, I have gotten interviews simpliy because of tech degree (and 23 years exp but degree was a go no go).
As for TESC vs Excell, I looked at both and picked TESC.  Met my situation better. I think TESC is quicker and "eaiser" to complete.  TESC only requires 4 course done with them (for active duty Navy) and the rest can be done at local CC.  On top of that none of the courses were ones that "had" to be taken from them.  Cost will be less to you and by taking local (and PACE) courses I think you will get better Ed in the long run.  In short TESC will allow you to sit in more traditional classrom type classes. (I am not down on EXCELL, it just did not fit my situation. I am geting TESC degree with only 4 classes (and 1 of them is only to meet 4 class requirement) Excell would have me do about 12 or so and they are more expensive.

The ODU degree is an ME tech degree and require alot more class time than either of the other two.  It may offer more opening down the line and of course you are jst about assured of getting in to ODU grad school, but just like other two you will be taking leveling classes before you can start a real ENG MS program.

So it all comes down to what your situation is and what you want to do in the long run!

Rob   
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2006, 07:53 by ChiefRocscooter »
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?