Career Path > Training, Tests & Education

Old Dominion vs. TESC vs. Excelsior

(1/12) > >>

DRStevick:
OK, I'm sorry... I know that this one hase been discussed, I'm just not sure that I have come up with a firm determination one way or another on which degree program is the way to go.  Currently, I am an ETC(SS) nuke, 13 years in, finally planning on getting a degree.

I am currently enrolled in TESC to complete my ASAST/NET degree in January.  At that point, do I

a) Continue with TESC for my BSAST/NET degree or
 b) Switch over to Excelsior to complete a BSNET degree, ABET accredited?

I don't know what I plan to do when I get out.  It may have NOTING to do with nuclear power!  My concern is NOT getting the ABET accredited degree, then finding out that I need it for whatever reason, and being f$%@ed.

I've heard a couple of different versions, ranging from the ABET doesn't matter to the ABET is the only way to go.  Just trying to get some more opinions before I dedicate myself to one program in particular.

Dale R. Stevick

JsonD13:
ETC,
  I am an MM2 SPU on his way to sea (CVN70).  I got the TESC degree while at prototype and I was able to gain entrance into Southern Methodist University's MS in Engineering Management program.  Also I have talked to schools such as Oregon State (MS in Health Physics (RADCON)) and they don't seem to have any problems with the degree not being ABET accredited since the school is regionally accredited.  A good thread to look at would be on the TESC website alumni moderated discussion.  I think its called "BSAST Nuc Eng" or something close.  I have heard of a few schools not letting people into their MS in Nuclear Engineering program unless they take more undergraduate courses.  As far as job prospects in the nuclear industry, I havent seen anything personally but from what I hear it only makes a difference of a few bucks an hour if you start out in OPS.  Hope this helps.

Jason

davioh:

--- Quote from: DRStevick on Aug 15, 2005, 10:15 ---OK, I'm sorry... I know that this one hase been discussed, I'm just not sure that I have come up with a firm determination one way or another on which degree program is the way to go.  Currently, I am an ETC(SS) nuke, 13 years in, finally planning on getting a degree.

I am currently enrolled in TESC to complete my ASAST/NET degree in January.  At that point, do I

a) Continue with TESC for my BSAST/NET degree or
 b) Switch over to Excelsior to complete a BSNET degree, ABET accredited?

I don't know what I plan to do when I get out.  It may have NOTING to do with nuclear power!  My concern is NOT getting the ABET accredited degree, then finding out that I need it for whatever reason, and being f$%@ed.

I've heard a couple of different versions, ranging from the ABET doesn't matter to the ABET is the only way to go.  Just trying to get some more opinions before I dedicate myself to one program in particular.

Dale R. Stevick

--- End quote ---
Dale, I'd go with Excelsior:
#1. they have for the most part been very helpful to me.
#2. the abet accreditation MIGHT become a standard requirement sometime (I'm saying might but I really don't know).

I have no experience with tesc so for some reason it might be better after all (no real basis of comparison I've only seen tesc's website and not been a student there).  I just know there are a number of things excelsior did for me that other colleges didn't (local community colleges). 

SnToCiv:
I am an ETSN and I am about to start working on my TESC BA but I heard the Excelsior is also a good way to go.  Does anyone have any exsperience with Excelsior?

JsonD13:
I dont have any personal experience with Excelscior, but I did get my TESC degree.  The only plus about Excelscior is that they are ABET accredited.  I do not know how good of a school they are or how long it would take to finish, but I got my TESC in about a year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version