Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Instrumentation honeypot

Author Topic: Instrumentation  (Read 5720 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

displacednuke

Re: Instrumentation
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2005, 11:35 »
I remember using a "RADGUN" at BVPS in approx 1975 or 1976.   I always wondered about the tech who would be foolish enough to actually use the scale that went to 10,000R /hr on a hand held instrument!!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2005, 09:59 »
displacednuke..... da only problem with the 10kr/hr scale was when it moved offa zero, iffen i 'member rite.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2006, 11:58 »
i'm putting this post in this topic as i ain't if there's a better topic fer it 'n i ain't sure iffen it is worthy of a whole topic.  ennybuddy got a bettor place, put it there.

American Heritage of Invention and Technology; Fall 2006/Volume 22/ Number 2; Letters; Cute Atomic Physics by John D. Fogarty, Sandy Spring, MD writes in regard to the How to Detect an Atomic Bomb (Spring 2006) that the cutie Pie’s name is derived from “The physics formula relating to its operation contains the factors q, t, and (pi , get the character here), where q is chare, t is of course time, and (pi) is 3.14159….  Pronouncing this combination suggested the term of affection.”

The editors reply:  Perhaps, but Paul W. Frame, a health physicist and historian at Oak Ridge Associated Universities, has looked into this explanation and considers it “a bit fanciful and overly convoluted.”  In a paper available online, Frame quotes a September 1945 report by C. O. Ballou of Clinton Laboratories, where the Cutie Pie was invented, that says: “The instrument has been named ‘Cutie “Pie’ due to its diminutive size.”

quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?